No more "bone throwing"??

NCAA RULES CHANGES

Rule 9-2-1-a-1-a

Unsportsmanlike acts. Added listing of examples developed by CCA supervisors of

officials and others to this section to encourage more consistent application of this rule:

“Examples of such acts include, but are not limited to:

--Imitating a slash of the throat;

--Resembling the firing of a weapon;

--Bowing at the waist;

--Punching one’s own chest excessively;

--Crossing one’s arms in front of the chest;

--Placing one’s hand by the ear as if to indicate that the player cannot hear the spectators;

--Diving into the end zone when unchallenged by an opponent;

--Entering the end zone with an unnatural stride (e.g., high stepping);

--Going significantly beyond the end line to interact with spectators;

--Standing over a prone player in a taunting manner;

--Attempting to make the ball spin as it were a top;

--Performing a choreographed act with a teammate(s) (e.g., pretending to take a photo,

falling down in unison); and

--Entering the field of play by coaches or substitutes in protest of officials’ calls.”

Additionally, the committee added language to the rule that reads: “Spontaneous

celebrating with teammates on the field of play, provided it is not prolonged, taunting or

intended to bring attention to the individual player, is allowed.”

Rationale: By providing a list of examples, the committee hopes to assist officials to

consistently enforce this penalty. Also, the committee believes there are some situations

in which celebration penalties are flagged where the celebration was spontaneous and not

excessive or prolonged. This isn’t a lessening of the penalty, but a reminder that team

celebrations encouragement should be allowed.

" This is getting way out of hand The freaking NCAA is worse than the No Fun League. Thanks for taking alot of the enjoyment out of watching the game, NCAA big wigs "

nice lol.

they are messing with tradition here.

"Punching one’s own chest excessively;"

so now you cant even abuse yourself.

Placing one’s hand by the ear as if to indicate that the player cannot hear the spectators;"

pretty soon you wont even be able to raise your hands to try to pump up the crowd.

"Entering the field of play by coaches or substitutes in protest of officials’ calls.”

the refs probably lobbied for this one. better get that replay system installed quick.

Does anyone else see this list as being quite similar to the celebrations on EA's NCAA 2006? they also made the game-makers remove Rivals recruiting.

extra benedits? steroids? real issues? no, there's not problem with anything like that. the NCAA must take care of offending lawyers pretending to be represent Native Americans and (gasp!) video game celebrations!

though, a couple that i would agree with: when your team is down by 35 points in the 4th quarter, don't celebrate like a jackass when you just sacked the opponents' 3rd string QB.

and the Gramatica-rule: its an extra point- not the game winning field goal in the Super Bowl. go back your bench and sit-down.

Screw the NCAA and Throw up the Bones Blackshirts! (but maybe only when its, like, 3rd and 17 or so...?

anyone else remember when they laid down heavier celebration penalties in 1995. I think NU may have been the first team to get that penalty that year when Reggie Baul pointed a #1 finger skyward on his way to the end zone against OSU and was flagged for it!

:bang This is getting way out of hand :steam The freaking NCAA is worse than the No Fun League. Thanks for taking alot of the enjoyment out of watching the game, NCAA big wigs :bad

I agree totally the crossing of the arms means tradition not taunting. My little boy and his buddy which are 11 do it at there pop warner games. NCAA sucks :box:steam:bang

What a bunch of self indulgent idiots. They throw out mascots and limit celebrations so they can feel good about themselves and their imposing of Political correctness on the college sports world. I guess throwing the bones might be offensive to someone who was once traumatized by a run-in with a pirate on the high seas, and I suppose some folks on the committee had a bad experience at the end of a broadway play, and those poor low-talkers have just had a rough time ever since that insensitive episode of Seinfeld, so they don't need some cocky player reminding them of it.

If all this is being done in the name of "sportsmanship" then they'd better go ahead and tape the player's mouths shut too. Does anyone really think there isn't some serious trash talking going on in the midst of everything else? If it's done to "keep the game clean" or "preserve its integrity" then freaking respect the traditions that have made college football what it is today and stop acting like its the imposition of their rules that's drawing in the crowds because they don't have to worry about being offended.

I wish they'd freakin' wake up and realize that present success is built on what was done in the past, and while the NCAA likes to feel its had a large part in the success of college football, its the coaches and players of past and present that have made the game what it is today.

I'm with StuckinChicago, there's a lot more they should be spending their time on.

This is stupid.  I can see not letting players show up the other team but come on.  Crap that is about the only thing Benard Thomas did last year.

:rollin

This is pretty stupid though. Who is writing these? Mr. Rogers? Whoever it is they might consider attending a few football games before making rules like that.

Haha, I just took the time to read some of these. The wording cracks me up.,

Punching one’s own chest excessively

What do we consider excessive? Maybe more than 3 punches? Are we talking about in the same, say 5 seconds? What if I pound my chest slowly and look ashamed while I am doing it? Is that ok?

Attempting to make the ball spin as it were a top;

What if I spin it as it were a football? Or maybe even a rugby ball? What about if I spin in on one side and not the top?

Bowing at the waist

What if I am really tired and just have to bow over for a second? Is that OK? What if a stadium has drinking fountains and they are lower than normal? Do I just hit the button and hope the water pressure is sufficient to meet my parched lips?

Placing one’s hand by the ear as if to indicate that the player cannot hear the spectators
Kenny Walker would be pissed.

:rollin