No need to panic

ok guys and ladies, i know that its hard to comprehend but there is a chance that we will not get owa, cooper, or carnes. Basically i am starting this thread to say that its not going to be the end of the world if we dont get them. Just really dont want to see the massive meltdown from some of you that will happen if we dont get them. none of them are automatically Huskers so dont assume that they are or you are setting yourself up for failure. Cautiously optimistic is probably the way to go.

i do think that we will get at least two but again its not a for sure thing....

Here's how I look at it... even if we don't land any of the Big 3.

We still have 18 commits for this year, including 6 :star :star :star :star, and 10 :star :star :star.

That is already better than last year's class, and here we are complaining and panicking if we don't land a few more?

If I remember right, last year we were absolutely ecstatic about having the class that we did with 5 :star :star :star :star

This year it is already better than last year's class (Rivals ranking quality wise) and here we are saying this class is a major let down if we don't land a :star :star :star :star :star and a :star :star :star :star on top of what we already have, even though we only won 1 more game this year than last year?

I realize there are a lot of factors that figure into our feelings, but come on people! We should be grateful that we are getting who we are getting and trust Bo's coaching to make up for where we lack star wise.

Here's how I look at it... even if we don't land any of the Big 3.

We still have 18 commits for this year, including 6 :star :star :star :star, and 10 :star :star :star.

That is already better than last year's class, and here we are complaining and panicking if we don't land a few more?

If I remember right, last year we were absolutely ecstatic about having the class that we did with 5 :star :star :star :star

This year it is already better than last year's class (Rivals ranking quality wise) and here we are saying this class is a major let down if we don't land a :star :star :star :star :star and a :star :star :star :star on top of what we already have, even though we only won 1 more game this year than last year?

I realize there are a lot of factors that figure into our feelings, but come on people! We should be grateful that we are getting who we are getting and trust Bo's coaching to make up for where we lack star wise.

The only thing I disagree with is the talk about this years class being better than last years. This year 3 of our 4 star players are JUCOS. I'm certainly not against JUCOs but they simply are not as valuable to the team because all 3 can only play here for 2 years. I know Nebraska has a great history of finding JUCOs that have an immediate impact (Rozier, Purify, Bowman, hopefully Gomes) but I think it is safe to say that most coaches would prefer a high school 4 star player over a JUCO 4 star player . . . if for the only reason that they can play 4 years.

I think this class might be a small step back from last year. It's still a very solid class. I agree that we're lucky to have Pelini coach these kids up.

Pelini is trying to make an immediate impact though. He knows that in order to get more HS :star :star :star :star kids he has to be win, get a lot of media attention, and be ranked high in the polls. Schools like Florida State and ND don't have to win to bring people in consistantly, unfortunately we do. I think it is better for this class to have 3 JUCO players because that means there are more immediate impact players who can win for us next season, rather than having to be developed... which paves the way for players to knock on our door for a chance to play for NU, players that are from far away states that is. I'm from Texas, born and raised here a husker fan my whole life. And I can tell you that down here, people outside of those who have been raised husker fans, think NU had a good defense last year, but that was because of SUH and they don't forsee us being a consistant top 10 team in the future. I have lived in Texas my whole life and there are VERY FEW people in this state that have respect for current Nebraska. They know we used to be a power house in the 70's-90's, but we have a generation of HS kids right now who don't remember 1994,1995, and 1997. Do I think that knowledge of the program and belief in the program is improving? YES. But I think it is going to take 3-4 years of top 10 rankings from Nebraska before we will land consistent top 10 recruiting classes. One good season isn't going to do it. So the fact that we have some killer JUCO players enables us to be able to succeed quicker, build on a solid season from last year, prove to skeptics that we are a quality TEAM not just SUH (eventhough suh is incredible), Beat teams like Texas and OU a few years in a row, and win some BCS games. If NU can do these things soon, then it will: help demolish the stereotypes people have about NU, show the world our Program, build respect, and give NU national respect by not only coaches, but HS players across the country.

Bottom Line: NU needs back to back to back successful seasons, BCS games, and wins over Big 12 south teams to gain respect from large amounts of quality HS players in major recruiting states (Texas, Florida, California). Large amounts meaning Florida, Texas, Alabama, OU recruiting numbers.

• Fire 1

Its going to take awhile for Pelini to undo what Callahan did in terms of recruiting. Dont write off juco help right now. Need it.

:dunno

:facepalm: He makes a good point. Some of teh guy ole billy brought in are not Bo's type of players, once Bo get his guys in here things will work better.

Guys Callahan brought in? Like Suh, Asante, O'Hanlon, Dillard, Allen, Turner, Amukamara, etc? Callahan was a good recruiter . . . despite how hard it is for people with the Callahan Hate Blinders on to admit.

Its going to take awhile for Pelini to undo what Callahan did in terms of recruiting. Dont write off juco help right now. Need it.

:facepalm: He makes a good point. Some of teh guy ole billy brought in are not Bo's type of players, once Bo get his guys in here things will work better.

Guys Callahan brought in? Like Suh, Asante, O'Hanlon, Dillard, Allen, Turner, Amukamara, etc? Callahan was a good recruiter . . . despite how hard it is for people with the Callahan Hate Blinders on to admit.

I wasnt saying that. What I was saying is that there is a huge inbalance on our roster right now of offensive players. A lot more offensive scholarship players than defense. Callahan also brought in a hell of a lot of juco players as well which added to this problem. It will take awhile for Bo to work this all out.

I wasnt saying that. What I was saying is that there is a huge inbalance on our roster right now of offensive players. A lot more offensive scholarship players than defense. Callahan also brought in a hell of a lot of juco players as well which added to this problem. It will take awhile for Bo to work this all out.

Wait a second . . . in this very thread you said that you were happy that Bo brought in JUCO help because we need it right now to make up for Callahan's recruiting. Then you say that Callahan's recruiting of JUCOs added to the problem. My head is spinning. Which is it?

I have yet to see a class that Bo has signed that is as juco heavy as some of the ones that Callahan signed.

I apologize as what I said was unclear.

Bo has brought in jucos as a compliment to a class, not built his foundation on juco players.

I have yet to see a class that Bo has signed that is as juco heavy as some of the ones that Callahan signed.

Bo has brought in jucos as a compliment to a class, not built his foundation on juco players.

Ah. I see.

Can it be a compliment and not a focus when half of our highest rated players are JUCOs? Serious question. Not trying to be snappy.

Ah. I see.

Can it be a compliment and not a focus when half of our highest rated players are JUCOs? Serious question. Not trying to be snappy.

Complement vs. a focus as far as the numbers of JUCOs being brought in. Callahan brought too many of them and it created an uneven roster distribution in classes. Look at the 2012 Recruiting Class numbers, right now there are only about 12-14 spots available.

Ah. I see.

I understand what you are saying. Its kind of a grey area when put that way. We needed help badly on our OL. Jermarcus fills that need and fits that bill. We also need to replace our starting MLB. Our next few down are Sophomores. Also I have been hearing that Lavonte is a cant miss player. Too good to pass up.

Ah. I see.

Complement vs. a focus as far as the numbers of JUCOs being brought in. Callahan brought too many of them and it created an uneven roster distribution in classes. Look at the 2012 Recruiting Class numbers, right now there are only about 12-14 spots available.

My brain must not be working correctly . . . how do JUCOs from 2007 and back result in us having fewer roster spots available in 2012? I think school and work have me fried.