Jags Player "Slams" Tebow

GSG

Tebow-to-Jags talk isn't sitting well with at least one actual Jag

By Holly Anderson

Remember those rumors, way back in the fall, about the Jacksonville Jaguars setting their sights on hometown hero Tim Tebow before he'd even played his senior season? That owner Wayne Weaver was said to be considering plucking the Tebow Child early in the draft as a sales-boosting gambit? Lately, the scorn of the scouts and his obvious struggles in the Senior Bowl haven't tempered local enthusiasm for Tebow as the draft draws nigh, but at least one member of the franchise isn't afraid to express his, let's say ... misgivings about adding Tebow to the roster, according to the Florida Times-Union:

[Offensive lineman Uche] Nwaneri posted on the Jaguars Web site that, while cashing a check, a bank teller started talking about how Tebow will save the Jaguars.

So Nwaneri posted his five points on Tebow, with capital letters:

"1. He can't throw, PERIOD.

2. He can't read any coverage other than probably cover 2 or man.

3. The QB Wildcat WILL NOT WORK IN THIS LEAGUE. PERIOD.

4. He doesnt know how to take a snap from center.

5. HE CANT THROW, and thats really something you either have or not."

I guess that settles it, then. Obviously, there's nothing the kid can do to help the team. Oh, and one more thing:

Nwaneri then urged fans to buy tickets because he doesnt want to come out "for pregame warmups to a COMPLETELY EMPTY STADIUM ANYMORE."

Let's talk business, Uche: Whether or not the Tebow Child can make a successful transition to the pro game on the field, putting warm bodies in seats is obviously among the greatest of his many other talents. Give the people what they want. And even if Nwaneri and the legions of critics are right that Tebow is bound for NFL flopdom, I guarantee thousands of Georgia fans would be willing to make the drive down to the site of so many Cocktail Party aggravations for the sole purpose of watching their former tormenter operate behind a line that might not feel much like blocking for him.

LINK

I agree with the guy about crappy throwing and taking a snap under center. I'm not sold on the Wildcat-won't-work-in-the-NFL thing or that Tebow can't read coverages.

By Holly Anderson

Remember those rumors, way back in the fall, about the Jacksonville Jaguars setting their sights on hometown hero Tim Tebow before he'd even played his senior season? That owner Wayne Weaver was said to be considering plucking the Tebow Child early in the draft as a sales-boosting gambit? Lately, the scorn of the scouts and his obvious struggles in the Senior Bowl haven't tempered local enthusiasm for Tebow as the draft draws nigh, but at least one member of the franchise isn't afraid to express his, let's say ... misgivings about adding Tebow to the roster, according to the Florida Times-Union:

[Offensive lineman Uche] Nwaneri posted on the Jaguars’ Web site that, while cashing a check, a bank teller started talking about how Tebow will save the Jaguars.

4. He doesn’t know how to take a snap from center.

5. HE CAN’T THROW, and that’s really something you either have or not."

I guess that settles it, then. Obviously, there's nothing the kid can do to help the team. Oh, and one more thing:

Nwaneri then urged fans to buy tickets because he doesn’t want to come out "for pregame warmups to a COMPLETELY EMPTY STADIUM ANYMORE."

Let's talk business, Uche: Whether or not the Tebow Child can make a successful transition to the pro game on the field, putting warm bodies in seats is obviously among the greatest of his many other talents. Give the people what they want. And even if Nwaneri and the legions of critics are right that Tebow is bound for NFL flopdom, I guarantee thousands of Georgia fans would be willing to make the drive down to the site of so many Cocktail Party aggravations for the sole purpose of watching their former tormenter operate behind a line that might not feel much like blocking for him.

LINK

I agree with the guy about crappy throwing and taking a snap under center. I'm not sold on the Wildcat-won't-work-in-the-NFL thing or that Tebow can't read coverages.

I agree with the fact that the QB wildcat won't work, meaning that running the wildcat with a QB taking the snap. I think that maybe you're thinking that he's saying the wildcat as a whole won't work, but Miami does it beautifully.

By Holly Anderson

[Offensive lineman Uche] Nwaneri posted on the Jaguars’ Web site that, while cashing a check, a bank teller started talking about how Tebow will save the Jaguars.

4. He doesn’t know how to take a snap from center.

5. HE CAN’T THROW, and that’s really something you either have or not."

Nwaneri then urged fans to buy tickets because he doesn’t want to come out "for pregame warmups to a COMPLETELY EMPTY STADIUM ANYMORE."

LINK

I agree with the fact that the QB wildcat won't work, meaning that running the wildcat with a QB taking the snap. I think that maybe you're thinking that he's saying the wildcat as a whole won't work, but Miami does it beautifully.

I think it can work with the right QB. Brad Smith & Mike Vick come to mind. They can throw well enough to keep you honest and both are better runners then throwers. But Tebow doesnt have the speed or feet that those two do. Tebow doesnt make people miss so running with him is like putting a freakin bullseye on his chest

How about we give Tebow a chance to acclimate to the NFL and see what he can do before we 1) anoint him the second coming of Bart Starr or 2) anoint him the second coming of Ryan Leaf.

I'd love to see every QB get the same chance Aaron Rodgers had - two or three years to learn the game and figure out how to maximize his talents.

I have no dog in the "Tebow is good/bad" fight. I couldn't care less if he succeeds or fails (unless the Bears draft him, then he needs to succeed). I just want to see good football in the NFL. If Tebow's that guy, more power to him.

• Fire 1