LaTravis Washington

HANC

I know that he has been discussed on other threads and topics a few months ago, but I was talking to a fellow Husker fan this morning and we had the same opinion. I am sure we all have on opinion on him, but here is mine...

I personally think he is getting a "screw job". I have sat next to this kid and visited with him, and he is physically a "beast". He came to us a possible SS or LB and then out of necessity, moved to QB.... Did a good job in Spring game, and then rode the pine entire season...maybe 10 snaps??

I understand that we all say....take one for the team and we don't want any "I" or "Me" type of players. He obviously isn't one of these guys, since he switched positions and didn't sniff pt. After ALL of that, he helped recruit Carnes, saying nothing but fantastic things about the staff and school. We also don't promote quitting !!!

BUT, if I was him, and he was #3 or lower at QB (probably)..behind Lee-Green-Spano or Martinez, I would ask to be switch to OLB...ala Cody Green... at least being #2 at Will would give him a "chance" to see a little pt. If the coaches didn't switch him, then he should seriously consider transfering to UNO or a smaller school back home. This young man came 1/2 way across the country, has the physical tools (maybe not the mental aspect to play at NU ???? I don't know), but if he is a football player, he owes it to HIMSELF to go somewhere that would at least allow him to play the game he loves. Even if it is at a small school. If he transfers down, he wont have to sit out.

I just feel bad for the kid and hope he gets a least ONE year to play ball.

I am sure that I am wrong here, but just my thoughts.

100% agreement. The Pelinis generally seem to be pretty good out of getting guys to contribute. But what they are doing with Latravis-—or not doing with him-—is perplexing to me. GET THE GUY ON THE FIELD! Either side of the ball. Or even special teams. Let’s see what he’s got.

Why should he move back to D? In case you forgot he just wasn't very good. In '08 Dillard and Glenn missed a ton of time, but LW still rode pine while walk-ons were playing in front of him. Koehler is understandable, he was a vet. But Matt Holt was a true frosh walk-on and he freaking started against TTech. Matt May was in the the same week he moved from safety. We were ridiculously thin at LB and he was still down the depthchart.

I'd like to see them find use for LW on O, he has athleticism. If not the wildcat maybe they could use him at H-back. Does he have hands?

Not to knock LTW, but there is a reason he is the 3rd string QB and not at any other position. If he would have been able to push for starting time at LB they wouldnt have moved him to 3rd string QB. I dont know where everyone is getting all of their info about getting his athleticism on the field. If he was that great of an athlete he WOULD be on the field. But the coaching staff decided RS freshman could handle the LB duties better than LTW and he was best suited for a last case senario on the offense. I have to call it like it is, LTW is a tremendous team player but probably doesnt have the talent to push for a starting position at any position.

Not to knock LTW, but there is a reason he is the 3rd string QB and not at any other position. If he would have been able to push for starting time at LB they wouldnt have moved him to 3rd string QB. I dont know where everyone is getting all of their info about getting his athleticism on the field. If he was that great of an athlete he WOULD be on the field. But the coaching staff decided RS freshman could handle the LB duties better than LTW and he was best suited for a last case senario on the offense. I have to call it like it is, LTW is a tremendous team player but probably doesnt have the talent to push for a starting position at any position.

Probably hits thee nail on thee head, HOWEVER, he actually is verby atheletic, BUT it is quite possible that he just lacks the mental capacity to be a difference maker at any position.

I was very impressed after watching LTW last spring. He has the strongest arm on the team, great size, and good speed. LTW and Cody started their Husker qb jobs at about the same time and if anyone remembers, Cody Green was nowhere near as good as Latravis. Watch the spring game over and you'll see that Cody's play then, mirrors his play during the season. Last year was Zac's third year in the system which makes it easy to understand why he was given the starting spot. Latravis and Cody were both new but with Cody being a true freshman, everyone saw him as the qb of the future. Just my opinion but I feel that Green’s youth was the only reason that he was ahead of Latravis on the depth chart.

A Latravis clip