How the hell does a 7-6 team have #8 ranked recruiting class in the nation by Rivals?

My God what an easy question to answer. Their recruits see UCLA as a big time school, and it is. Big time perception, located in Westwood, CA. Great looking girls every where. When you are 18 years old the 'Little General' controls your every thought and most of these kids aren't strong enough to stand up (no pun intended) to the 'Lil' General.'

T_O_B

:nanalama

My God what an easy question to answer. Their recruits see UCLA as a big time school, and it is. Big time perception, located in Westwood, CA. Great looking girls every where. When you are 18 years old the 'Little General' controls your every thought and most of these kids aren't strong enough to stand up (no pun intended) to the 'Lil' General.'

T_O_B

:nanalama

And when they get older, the roles are reversed: the Lil' General isn't strong enough to stand up to them. (Because they've become stronger and more mature of course :))

This is kind of like reading a UCLA board in which someone says that UNL is the little brother to UNO. Just because USC is more expensive doesn't mean it is harder to get into. Ask anyone who lives in California and they'll tell you the same. The ranking of academic prestige for California schools (off the top of my head) probably goes something like this: Stanford, Cal, UCLA, UCSD, USC (and the might be another UC school or two ahead of USC).

Thank you HuskerBruin. You might be forgetting a private school or two, but as far as the public schools go, the UCs are a splendid system all around - but it's Cal and UCLA that are at the head of that list. USC is a fine school in its own right, but UCLA does NOT play second fiddle at all (not talking about football).

just to point at at least for me, i'd choose being castrated with out anestetic over moving to california, especially westwood. i hate hippies, california is a bunch of hippies who need to be slapped around(the evidence is online(here's your patriot act!!! tase him again LAPD)).

• Fire 1

I have to respectfully disagree with anyone claiming that the nightlife in LA is all that wonderful. Sure, they have more glitz and quantity than Lincoln, but I was not at all impressed.

Maybe I am just simple in that I like a nice crowded bar with good drinks and some eye candy. I don't need cage dancers, former NFL player bouncers, and the guy from Laguna Beach to be sitting two tables away.

When the guys and I headed to the USC game in 06, we went out on the strip. On Saturday night we went to some of the big names bars and clubs. I specifically remember the House of Blues and the Viper Room. We went to several other bars, but things started getting pretty fuzzy by late night. One of the girls with us was a local and showed us around. Was it fun? Yes. World-ending best-thing-ever I can now die and be happy? No.

In the end if you have plenty of booze, a good crowd of co-eds, and music, your set. Lincoln has that too.

Oh and in my personal opinion, I'll take the girls I've seen on the UNL campus ANYDAY over the girls we saw on a class day at USC.

been to LA quite a few times and you guys trying to rationalize why they had no trouble getting a great class together are missing the pt, should be why don't they have one every year. Have you been to westwood? the area is incredible and strolling around there compared to lincoln or any midwestern college town, there is no comparison. was just at USC's campus to visit dinlaw who is graduating from Med school there and in august before classes started, was stunned by a few beauties who strolled by. also saw pete conducting practice, cool.

places like that FL, TX or Miami are going to win the recruiting wars when they have a topend coach, period. just the way life is.

just to point at at least for me, i'd choose being castrated with out anestetic over moving to california, especially westwood. i hate hippies, california is a bunch of hippies who need to be slapped around(the evidence is online(here's your patriot act!!! tase him again LAPD)).

Hippies? I think you're thinking of Berkley (Cal), not Westwood (UCLA).

been to LA quite a few times and you guys trying to rationalize why they had no trouble getting a great class together are missing the pt, should be why don't they have one every year. Have you been to westwood? the area is incredible and strolling around there compared to lincoln or any midwestern college town, there is no comparison. was just at USC's campus to visit dinlaw who is graduating from Med school there and in august before classes started, was stunned by a few beauties who strolled by. also saw pete conducting practice, cool.

places like that FL, TX or Miami are going to win the recruiting wars when they have a topend coach, period. just the way life is.

Sure UCLA has a scenic campus. I’ve been there many times. It’s not all it’s cracked up to be. UCLA doesn’t have anything on UNL—-except for better weather. As for Westwood, it looks great if you are driving through. Try parking there sometime. If you do find a spot to park, might want to keep an eye on your car. Had my car stolen twice in Westwood, about a half mile from campus.

I can't believe this thread is still alive. dedhoarse Okay, I'll kill it by finally admitting to all you UNL grads that UNL has better academics, sports, weather and women than UCLA. And downtown Lincoln is better than Hollywood, Brentwood, Bel Air and Santa Monica. Neuheisel must pay his recruits handsomely to get them to attend that bottom tier school in such a hell hole.

How does an unranked UCLA with an overall record of 7-6 and a conference record of 3-6 rate these caliber of recruits? I guess I just don't get it. Why UCLA?

5 :starOwamagbe Odighizuwa

4 :star Anthony Barr, Cassius Marsh, Jordon James, Malcolm Jones, Dietrich Riley, Kody Innes, Anthony Jefferson, Aramide Olaniyan, Paul Richardson, Josh Shirley, Chris Ward, Jordan Zumwalt

3 :star Shaquille Richardson, Derrick Bryant, Sealii Epenesa, Wesley Flowers, Eric Kendricks, Tevin McDonald, Wade Yandall, John Young, Kip Smith, Julious Moore

UCLA's move up the charts was highlighted by the addition of five-star defensive end Owamagbe Odighizuwa, and throw in National Signing Day decisions from four-stars Anthony Jefferson, Jordan Zumwalt, Dietrich Riley and Josh Shirley who were all thought to may be going elsewhere.

We all know Bongheisel is known for his recruiting from his days with Colorado, but we also know his track record with the NCAA at Colorado and U of Washington respectively, as both colleges were racked with felonious athletes, sexual charges, and gambling, costing them in sanctions, losses of scholarships which irreparably harmed their reputations as higher learning institutions.

A lot of it is location, location, location. When you have a school that is located in southern California, where the sun always seems to shine, the weather is warm, the girls are hot, and hollywood is right around the corner with all the parties it isn't hard to recruit. Then there are probably those kids that come looking for the trouble, gangs, etc. UCLA is kind of the little brother when it comes to schools out there...and the kids that do go there sometimes also can't get into USC or the hardest to get into Stanford with their ACT/SAT scores.

Southern California and Florida schools all have a real edge when trying to recruit young kids that are impressionable and have probably felt like they have been stuck in the location they grew up.

:laughpound This is kind of like reading a UCLA board in which someone says that UNL is the little brother to UNO. Just because USC is more expensive doesn't mean it is harder to get into. Ask anyone who lives in California and they'll tell you the same. The ranking of academic prestige for California schools (off the top of my head) probably goes something like this: Stanford, Cal, UCLA, UCSD, USC (and the might be another UC school or two ahead of USC).

Remember also that these are mostly California recruits - usually southern California. In fact, 16 of their 22 signees are from California. And remember also that California is right up there with Texas as the state with the most high school talent. So there's really no excuse for UCLA not to have a top 10-15 recruiting class every year.

UCLA has an amazing location (bordered by Hollywood, Brentwood, Bell Air and Santa Monica), is close to home for many top recruits, has an excellent academic reputation and (right now at least) has a very good coaching staff. I understand your hatred for Neuheisel. How do you think I felt as a kid that grew up in Lincoln and went to UCLA when the Bruins hired Slick Rick? But be careful about immediately assuming that he pulled off some illegal recruiting tactics in order to land such a great class. After all, it's not like he landed this kind of class at Boise St. or Wyoming.

Well at least you didn't lie, and say it was about the education. :)