New Arena

I'm down, especially if they give students some sideline seats instead of whoring it out to rich ass alumni.

Right. Watch tonight's Duke/North Carolina game and see what college basketball should be like.

Crazy-azz students, frothing at the mouth, jumping around shirtless and painted and making the place crazy.

The Bob will never get crazy. Even when we were beating the number 1 team in the country a few weeks ago it wasn't crazy. It's not the students' fault. It's those "rich ass alumni" that only stand up when the other team calls a timeout that's the problem.

I am a little annoyed with people complaining about the "rich ass alumni." I know someone has already stated that they help pay for that school, but it is any important point. UNL and all of it's sports live off the donations by those people.

As for them not standing. I do know that close to half of the sideline seats can not stand do to the fact that there people in wheel chairs behind them. They do complain if people stand in front of them, which is understandable, they deserve to see the game.

I do love the students ate the games, they are very important and I hope they do a good job with student seating in the new arena. But students have to realize they need to support the team now for anyone to care about them in the future, whether or not your seats suck.

Speaking of "suck," does anyone else think the "who cares you suck" needs to be replaced? I am not sure what other schools do but to me it has never seemed very appropriate to our school. Even more now considering our record. The three clap that is done at the womens bball and vball games has always had awesome feel. All the fans get into it, not just the students and when five to ten thousand people clap like that, it is loud. I am thinking about the Volleyball game against Penn State in the final four of 2008. That had to have been intimidating, even though we lost.

I'm pretty much a novice in this nook of the Board. I grew up in Sioux City, IA and for a lot of years was only 2 blocks away from the Central High School Gymnasium. I started going to BB games when I was a 5th grader and didn't miss a game until I left for Viet Nam in Aug. of 1969. The atmosphere in that gym was absolutely electric. The cheering was deafaning from both sides of the floor. I now live in Sioux Falls, SD and have attended several games here, especially when C-Bear played and all through her HS years. Quite frankly, I was shocked, SHOCKED, at what I was presented with. First, the crowd had to be reminded to take off their hats and stand for the National Anthem, then we were basically told that it wasn't politically correct to get on the other team or let the ref's know that they were blind idiots who didn't deserve to be officiating 'little Y-guys' at the local YMCA. As far as I'm concerned we now pay far too much attention to what a bunch of namby pamby soccer moms and their pu$$y whipped husbunds think.

Haven't been to a Husker Ballers game yet but do plan to in the near future. I hope I don't find it sanitized to the point of polite cheering. As far as where the good seats are and who gets them, well court side is OK, once, but I want to see the game, put me a third to a half way up and I'm happy as I can be. The closer we get to having a gym filled with our own brand of Cameron Crazies the better.

T_O_B

:cheers:cheers:cheers:wasted:wasted:wasted:cheers:cheers:cheers

LAst time i checked Sarge, my out of state tution pays for a crap load of this stuff. I dont get scholarships, i live off campus and i wonder where my $17,000+ goes to if it doesnt go to pay for that $50 seat i sit in. I get that donations help, but last time i checked i dont go to school for free. I pay my dues and pay for my education.

First, I am not belittling what you pay in tuition, but there is a misconception where the money goes when it comes time for you to write that check. Your tuition goes to pay for your education, professors salaries, and administration costs along with a few other things. None of the tuition money you pay goes to the athletic department.

Our athletic department is one of the few in the nation that is totally self sufficient. It doesn't rely on tax dollars or tuition money of any kind for its day-to-day operations and upkeep. It is only through donations, season tickets, gate sales, and revenue sharing of TV contracts through the conference which funds the whole operation.

Pre-message warning: I'm a volunteer for the Arena Campaign, but I will be as unbiased as possible.

Basically the city of Lincoln, and the athletic department at UNL are both at a crossroads. The city's only "large" concert and event location, Pershing Auditorium is greatly out of date and unsuitable for most touring groups and events. The athletic department under T.O. is also looking to upgrade its basketball facilities to compete with the rest of the Big 12 and show it is investing into the basketball program that was ignored for years.

There are 3 different directions the city can go at this point. 1) Do nothing and make due with Pershing as is or look into an overhaul (which is limited). 2) Build a new arena on its own. The process would be similar to Omaha building the Qwest Center, and cost the tax payers a lot. 3) Team up with UNL in a joint partnership similar to what it did with Haymarket Park. Would result in a shared facility with shared profits, but lower costs for the city to come up with (Taxes).

There are 2 different directions that UNL is looking into. (Leave it is not an option for UNL) 1) Expand and remodel the Bob. This would include the already planned practice facility, expanded concourses, addition of box suites, and a possible seat expansion. 2) Team up with the city of Lincoln in a joint partnership similar to what it did with Haymarket Park. Would result in a shared facility with shared profits, but lower costs.

Pre-message warning: I'm a volunteer for the Arena Campaign, but I will be as unbiased as possible.

Basically the city of Lincoln, and the athletic department at UNL are both at a crossroads. The city's only "large" concert and event location, Pershing Auditorium is greatly out of date and unsuitable for most touring groups and events. The athletic department under T.O. is also looking to upgrade its basketball facilities to compete with the rest of the Big 12 and show it is investing into the basketball program that was ignored for years.

There are 3 different directions the city can go at this point. 1) Do nothing and make due with Pershing as is or look into an overhaul (which is limited). 2) Build a new arena on its own. The process would be similar to Omaha building the Qwest Center, and cost the tax payers a lot. 3) Team up with UNL in a joint partnership similar to what it did with Haymarket Park. Would result in a shared facility with shared profits, but lower costs for the city to come up with (Taxes).

There are 2 different directions that UNL is looking into. (Leave it is not an option for UNL) 1) Expand and remodel the Bob. This would include the already planned practice facility, expanded concourses, addition of box suites, and a possible seat expansion. 2) Team up with the city of Lincoln in a joint partnership similar to what it did with Haymarket Park. Would result in a shared facility with shared profits, but lower costs.

Thanks for posting and if you could keep us updated on the progress, we would appreciate it.

Thanks for posting and if you could keep us updated on the progress, we would appreciate it.

Will do!

LAst time i checked Sarge, my out of state tution pays for a crap load of this stuff. I dont get scholarships, i live off campus and i wonder where my $17,000+ goes to if it doesnt go to pay for that $50 seat i sit in. I get that donations help, but last time i checked i dont go to school for free. I pay my dues and pay for my education.

First, I am not belittling what you pay in tuition, but there is a misconception where the money goes when it comes time for you to write that check. Your tuition goes to pay for your education, professors salaries, and administration costs along with a few other things. None of the tuition money you pay goes to the athletic department.

Our athletic department is one of the few in the nation that is totally self sufficient. It doesn't rely on tax dollars or tuition money of any kind for its day-to-day operations and upkeep. It is only through donations, season tickets, gate sales, and revenue sharing of TV contracts through the conference which funds the whole operation.

I understand this, i was just simply defending UNL students because you make it sound like without the Rich@$$ alumni, we wouldnt have a chance to learn. I understaand they help with things, but its not like im learning for free.

The athletic department doesnt fully need a new B-ball arena, but it sure would be nice and help with recruiting. Will it guarantee us 5 stars...NO! but it sure wont hurt in the recruiting porcess.

The pershing is out of date, and needs to bereplaced. Why not take out 2 birds with 1 stone

I understand this, i was just simply defending UNL students because you make it sound like without the Rich@$$ alumni, we wouldnt have a chance to learn. I understaand they help with things, but its not like im learning for free.

The athletic department doesnt fully need a new B-ball arena, but it sure would be nice and help with recruiting. Will it guarantee us 5 stars...NO! but it sure wont hurt in the recruiting porcess.

The pershing is out of date, and needs to bereplaced. Why not take out 2 birds with 1 stone

Exactly, team the University's efforts with the city's. Saves space and money for the community in the long run.

I'm really wondering where they plan to build the basketball practice facility. Is it going to go over on the "Innovation Campus" where the state fair buildings are located?

Will do!

Yeah, Thanks so much for your input.

I remember going to Pershing to see ZZ-Top durring their "Cheap Sunglasses Tour" 1980? and wondering why it hadn't been condemned or at least thought about being replaced soon-ly.

I'd agree that this would be a whole lot better as a Joint effort.

I'm still confused about how they are going to decide on a target location.

I love what they've done with the Haymarket..as much as I was able to take in last June. but not seeing that area really benefitting anyone other than the surrounding shops and hotel...(Maybe they should be "persuaded" to join together and chip in if they want to benefit from the new "magnet".

Would it be more better (less costly) to use the space being used by the Post Office? (if it still is) or ....What's North of Bob Devaney now? Maybe expansion would be a better option...Or multiple locations involving expansion of the Bob and replacement of Pershing. :dunno

how does one go about volunteering for the campaign? is there info on a website or something? i'd be interested if you could let me know a little more

edit: just found the website and it clearly shows where to click to volunteer, guess i should have looked before posting, then i wouldn't have had to edit, oops

I'm still confused about how they are going to decide on a target location.

I love what they've done with the Haymarket..as much as I was able to take in last June. but not seeing that area really benefitting anyone other than the surrounding shops and hotel...(Maybe they should be "persuaded" to join together and chip in if they want to benefit from the new "magnet".

The location is basically set in stone(given a voter approval). It will be located directly west of the Post Office where train tracks are now. A few years back, a consulting firm, I believe from Portland, OR, came up with 5 locations in the downtown area that would be most reasonable to house a new arena. One of which was in the Haymarket. Around the same time a new downtown master plan was developed by another firm. It also planned for a new arena. Specifically in the Haymarket. Since then all plans or talks of an arena have been concentrated on the Haymarket.

I actually agree with you about local shops and hotels seeing the majority of the benefits of a new arena nearby and should pay more for it, but that wont happen. The thought process on the project looks at the overall scope of the project, not just the arena. The project also opens up approximately four new city blocks of land for development, including a new indoor ice rink. So, the project opens up more room for growth in an area that is untouched that might not develop any other way. Opportunity for new business, new construction, new homes/condos/hotels, new roads/relieved traffic, and the expansion of a popular portion of the city are some ways the whole city can benefit.

Would it be more better (less costly) to use the space being used by the Post Office? (if it still is) or ....What's North of Bob Devaney now? Maybe expansion would be a better option...Or multiple locations involving expansion of the Bob and replacement of Pershing. :dunno

I like your thinking, but just taking the space where the Post Office is currently limits the growth potential and could possibly add to the bill because the city would have to build a new central Post Office.

The former State Fair Park right near the Devaney Center would be nice, but there are traffic/parking concerns especially as they develop the land into a new campus.

My personal thoughts on a new arena outside of the Haymarket location starts with I-80 and Hwy 77/56th street. For years there have been debates on what to do to expand Lincoln around that key Interchange. At one time, Mayor Seng proposed the idea of a mall way out there to try and spur development. My thought is to use the Arena as an anchor and you could have quite the growth potential. It would be similar to the Mid-America Center in Council Bluffs, IA and how Sarpy County is going to develop around the new Royal's Ballpark. However, my idea has two flaws: Suburban arenas don't tend to succeed, and the City of Lincoln is determined to keep the downtown area the focal point for all entertainment.

Hope this clears some stuff up. I don't know how much of this makes sense. Its been a long day.

Tons of info here: http://www.lincolnhaymarketarena.com/documents

The Power Point Presentation is really good

how does one go about volunteering for the campaign? is there info on a website or something? i'd be interested if you could let me know a little more

edit: just found the website and it clearly shows where to click to volunteer, guess i should have looked before posting, then i wouldn't have had to edit, oops

Glad you found it! I'll be at the Devaney Center tomorrow handing out stuff before both basketball game's tomorrow, you are sure free to join in. Phil is the main guy organizing the volunteers. He should contact you fairly quickly if you signed up online, but feel free to pm me if you have any questions or what not about volunteering.

p.s. I like the avatar

Look at what they did with Haymarket Park. They built a new Baseball stadium and its a beautiful ball field that attracts thousands of Husker fans that are not from the Lincoln/Omaha area year after year. You build a better stadium/arena, it'll bring in a crowd and I'm sure the attendence will increase every year. You add a louge for the players like they did for the Football team so they can enjoy it before or after the game. Adding a bigger and top notch weight room will also impress recruits because the one they have at the Devaney center is a joke.

We do not have the tradition that other schools have and we're not ranked in the top 25 year after year. What this Baskeball team needs is tradtion and solid facilities to bring in top athletes so we can compete with the Big 12 and the rest of the Country. What the Athletic department has done with the additions of Memorial Stadium and building a new Baseball field they could do that with the Basketball team as well.

Glad you found it! I'll be at the Devaney Center tomorrow handing out stuff before both basketball game's tomorrow, you are sure free to join in. Phil is the main guy organizing the volunteers. He should contact you fairly quickly if you signed up online, but feel free to pm me if you have any questions or what not about volunteering.

p.s. I like the avatar

i was hoping you wouldn't mind me stealing it!

Speaking of "suck," does anyone else think the "who cares you suck" needs to be replaced? I am not sure what other schools do but to me it has never seemed very appropriate to our school. Even more now considering our record. The three clap that is done at the womens bball and vball games has always had awesome feel. All the fans get into it, not just the students and when five to ten thousand people clap like that, it is loud. I am thinking about the Volleyball game against Penn State in the final four of 2008. That had to have been intimidating, even though we lost.

It definitely needs replaced. The students who participate in saying that don't really know what Nebraska athletics strives to be. It's embarassing.