New Arena

I really want to know what people are thinking about this new arena. Ever since watching the video of what it would look like, I have been extremely pumped and praying that the people of Lincoln will support it. I live just outside of Lincoln and know several people ages 20-35 that live in or near Lincoln and would LOVE to have it happen, but I wondered what other people are thinking. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like many people visit the hoops blog so I don't know what kind of response this will get, but if you live in Lincoln or know people who do I'd be interested to read what some of you have heard from other Lincolnites. Honestly, my biggest reason for wanting it is that this year I bought season bball tickets and would love to go to a place like that to watch the games, plus I think it would help recruiting and get the ball rolling a little faster. I also think it's time Lincoln makes a move. A city that just maintains status quo and doesn't do anything to promote or grow itself might as well be dying. In life if you're not growing, you're dying. Right? As a 22 year old recent college grad, I can say that if I hadn't grown up a half hour from Lincoln there would be nothing attracting me to live here. Obviously the people are great, but there needs to be more in my opinion

In order to get good recruits, we need a better arena. Not to mention to get better concerts and other evens IE Qwest center.

I am all for it but a lot of older lincoln residents are fighting it at every corner, not to mention Deena Winters who will make it her goal to write crap in LJS about this. 104.1 The Blaze, KLIN are a few radio stations that seem to back this idea and hopefully that will help.

if the bball team is ever going to have a chance in the big 12, they have to do something. Its pathetic when your facilities are inferior to the likes of iowa state. Im about 50 minutes from Lincoln, and 30 straight into Omaha for the Qwest, so I doubt I would use it personally other than for basketball, which I take in 1-2 times a year. A new arena (with better parking!!!) would make it likely I could get the girl and little ones down there more often.

In order to get good recruits, we need a better arena. Not to mention to get better concerts and other evens IE Qwest center.

I am all for it but a lot of older lincoln residents are fighting it at every corner, not to mention Deena Winters who will make it her goal to write crap in LJS about this. 104.1 The Blaze, KLIN are a few radio stations that seem to back this idea and hopefully that will help.

I can't stand reading Deena Winters' articles on the arena. Steve Sipple, or better yet a reporter who interviews people who actually know what's going on, need to write a few more pro-arena articles or at least take a neutral stance cause she is a loon

I'm down, especially if they give students some sideline seats instead of whoring it out to rich ass alumni.

Right. Watch tonight's Duke/North Carolina game and see what college basketball should be like.

Crazy-azz students, frothing at the mouth, jumping around shirtless and painted and making the place crazy.

The Dean Dome used to be the classic case of giving students bad seats. That place used to be dead. Now it's better, but it sounds to me like you're talking about old Cameron Indoor Stadium (Duke).

I don't think a new arena is all that important for recruits. It didn't help when Devaney was built. The Erwin Center at Texas isn't very impressive at all, but they put a LOT of money into a practice facility, locker room, etc, and that Wows the recruits.

I'm down, especially if they give students some sideline seats instead of whoring it out to rich ass alumni.

Right. Watch tonight's Duke/North Carolina game and see what college basketball should be like.

Crazy-azz students, frothing at the mouth, jumping around shirtless and painted and making the place crazy.

The Bob will never get crazy. Even when we were beating the number 1 team in the country a few weeks ago it wasn't crazy. It's not the students' fault. It's those "rich ass alumni" that only stand up when the other team calls a timeout that's the problem.

Just Win Baby!

I've often wondered why we didn't win more often.

You'd think it would be easier to build a great Basketball program...you only need a dozen or so great players, right?

Sorry..not much of a fan. I think I only went to ONE game while I was a student, and that was with a new arena (Yikes!!! Is the Bob really too old, now?).

My Highschool would pretty much always sell out their home games, partly because there was nothing else to do in small-town, Nebraska, but mainly because we were in the habit of winning and making the State Tourney.

I'm curious why a new venue would lead to more wins. Look at Memorial Stadium as an example. When T.O. was winning national titles, Memorial stadium was not nearly as nice as it is today or in the last 7 years.

Have any of you been to Fogg Allen Fieldhouse at KU, Cameron Indoor at Duke, or the Carrier Dome at Syracuse? These facilities are pretty poor yet these three programs don't have a issue in attracting top basketball talent.

I'm really really out of the loop.

But are you serious about the Bob being replaced?

34 years seems way too young for replacment of these kinds of buildings.

Has it not been kept up? Shoddy building practices?

Any links to hazardous conditions?

Bob Devaney Sports Center

...The Bob Devaney Sports Center opened in November of 1976. This is not the newest venue in the Big 12 Conference, but when compared to others, it is plenty young. The relatively young age of the venue can be seen in the modern amenities and features, both inside and out...

Bob Devaney Sports Center Track

Now in its 33rd season, the Bob Devaney Sports Center has cemented its reputation as one of the finest facilities in the world. Named after longtime NU Athletic Director and football coach, the Devaney Center boasts an impressive array of training, competitive, and spectator amenities, highlighted by a hydraulic-banked track.

The Bob is outdated, and was built for a smaller program. It is not up to Big 12 standards and is in the bottom of the Big 12 for Arenas. Nebraska could easily bring in big crowds when the program starts winning. We have great football fan support and there is no reason the basketball team cant get similar(not as much, but 50% of what the Football team has would be great).

I dont want the Bob to be destroyed but used for other things. A new Arena isnt just for the B-ball teams, it will bring in some amazing concerts and other events that the Qwest center sees.

How exactly is it "not up to Big 12 standards"? I don't believe it's at the bottom of Big 12 arenas either, but I haven't been to most of them so I can't compare.

I don't really care, I'm not a Nebraska taxpayer, and I'm not going to donate for this, but it doesn't sound like a good use of money to me. I doubt it'd compete with Omaha and the Qwest Center for concerts either.