New Arena

The Bob is outdated, and was built for a smaller program. It is not up to Big 12 standards and is in the bottom of the Big 12 for Arenas. Nebraska could easily bring in big crowds when the program starts winning. We have great football fan support and there is no reason the basketball team cant get similar(not as much, but 50% of what the Football team has would be great).

I dont want the Bob to be destroyed but used for other things. A new Arena isnt just for the B-ball teams, it will bring in some amazing concerts and other events that the Qwest center sees.

Allen Fieldhouse at KU was built around 1955. How is it The Devaney is outdated but Allen Fieldhouse isn't?

Allen Fieldhouse is outdated too..

They just don't care because people love it regardless.

So KU can win in an outdated arena - but NU can't?

I hope those of you comparing NU to Kansas, Duke, etc. are kidding. sure they play in old arenas, but they have TRADITION. When Bill Self or coach K calls a recruit and says "come play for me," they don't say "i don't know, your arena is kind of old" they say "hell yeah i'll go play for one of the best programs/coaches in the history of the sport." NU doesn't have that luxury, so they need other things to lure kids in. Yes, the Bob seems young, but think of the football arms race: facilities are out-dated after five years. Basketball is the same. Also, you can't compare Memorial Stadium during Osborne's years to now; like it or not, back then kids went to college for an education or a chance to win under a good coach, these days kids are all about going to play at the hot-item schools, meaning schools that are either winning or have sweet-ass facilities. I'd be okay with renovating the bob, but that isn't going to help grow the city of lincoln, which is a big part of the new arena discussion. this is about more than just basketball, altho as a fan i tend to talk about the basketball benefits more than the others.

I'm really really out of the loop.

But are you serious about the Bob being replaced?

34 years seems way too young for replacment of these kinds of buildings.

Has it not been kept up? Shoddy building practices?

Any links to hazardous conditions?

Bob Devaney Sports Center

...The Bob Devaney Sports Center opened in November of 1976. This is not the newest venue in the Big 12 Conference, but when compared to others, it is plenty young. The relatively young age of the venue can be seen in the modern amenities and features, both inside and out...

Bob Devaney Sports Center Track

Now in its 33rd season, the Bob Devaney Sports Center has cemented its reputation as one of the finest facilities in the world. Named after longtime NU Athletic Director and football coach, the Devaney Center boasts an impressive array of training, competitive, and spectator amenities, highlighted by a hydraulic-banked track.

the track facility is great. if a new arena is built, i'm pretty sure they'll still have the track facility. the new arena is about basketball and bringing some life to lincoln in the way of concerts, seminars, etc.

I'm down, especially if they give students some sideline seats instead of whoring it out to rich ass alumni.

Those so-called "rich ass" alumni are showing their appreciation of what a UNL scholarship and education brought them in life. They pay those exorbitant season ticket fees for choice seats, so you can get your GA ducats reasonably priced.

Also, without those "rich ass" alumni, there wouldn't be any buildings on campus to sit your butt in to do your studies, or lay your head down to sleep at night.

Weird concept. Eh, Vince? I'm scratching my head too. Get the payoff before doing any work worth merit.

How about we take the $350M they want to spend on an arena, and pay $$ to a coach worth a crap. Then in turn, he gets kids in here who are looking to go to the NBA on their way through here. Then they can make a pitch for a new arena.

The new facilities at KSUX didn't mean squat there. They brought in Bob Huggins as HC, who in turn brought in Frank Martin and Dalonte Hill as his ACs. After Huggins left, KSU retained Martin and Hill, and it is no accident Hill is one of the highest paid assistants in all of college basketball, because he recruits AAU talent.

These guys would be good if they played in a basement somewhere. Those players are looking for someone to coach them up a little, win a few games in the Big 12 with some TV exposure, and get drafted in the first or second round of the NBA Draft.

I'm down, especially if they give students some sideline seats instead of whoring it out to rich ass alumni.

Those so-called "rich ass" alumni are showing their appreciation of what a UNL scholarship and education brought them in life. They pay those exorbitant season ticket fees for choice seats, so you can get your GA ducats reasonably priced.

Also, without those "rich ass" alumni, there wouldn't be any buildings on campus to sit your butt in to do your studies, or lay your head down to sleep at night.

You fail to see the problem. Students stand for games, make exponentially more noise, and come in greater numbers than alumni. They're taking up what used to be student seating and making the overflow sit up in East B section while North and South A sections aren't even full.

Oh and the Guard pays for my college and I live off campus.

Weird concept. Eh, Vince? I'm scratching my head too. Get the payoff before doing any work worth merit.

How about we take the $350M they want to spend on an arena, and pay $$ to a coach worth a crap. Then in turn, he gets kids in here who are looking to go to the NBA on their way through here. Then they can make a pitch for a new arena.

The new facilities at KSUX didn't mean squat there. They brought in Bob Huggins as HC, who in turn brought in Frank Martin and Dalonte Hill as his ACs. After Huggins left, KSU retained Martin and Hill, and it is no accident Hill is one of the highest paid assistants in all of college basketball, because he recruits AAU talent.

These guys would be good if they played in a basement somewhere. Those players are looking for someone to coach them up a little, win a few games in the Big 12 with some TV exposure, and get drafted in the first or second round of the NBA Draft.

1 - Bob Huggins went cause he saw KSU was serious about this bball thing because they decided to build new facilities and pay their coach. We all know Tom is slow to open the wallet (see bo pelini's salary) so our way of showing commitment is a NEW FACILITY.

2 - The NCAA has now outlawed hiring aau coaches on as assistants, so that makes it significantly harder to land a frank martin unless you want to take a huge gamble and offer some guy a butt-load of money for one or two recruits and then pray you don't end up losing your ass cause he's a flop

I've seen out here several times what a new arena/facility can do for the community..(assuming you have the population base to support it).

But I see several flaws in their plans.

Number one seems to be bad timing..The Bob is just way too young to need replacement and I doubt it (New Arena) would be anywhere near feasible without UNL as a major tenant.

And ( B ) :

Why pay $34Mill to move the train station and all the tracks?

If Pershing Auditorium still exists, it seems like a more better spot.. although probably too small of a footprint for all the fancy extras they'd want to keep up with the Joneses.

How about we take the $350M they want to spend on an arena, and pay $ to a coach worth a crap. Then in turn, he gets kids in here who are looking to go to the NBA on their way through here. Then they can make a pitch for a new arena.

1 - Bob Huggins went cause he saw KSU was serious about this bball thing because they decided to build new facilities and pay their coach. We all know Tom is slow to open the wallet (see bo pelini's salary) so our way of showing commitment is a NEW FACILITY.

2 - The NCAA has now outlawed hiring aau coaches on as assistants, so that makes it significantly harder to land a frank martin unless you want to take a huge gamble and offer some guy a butt-load of money for one or two recruits and then pray you don't end up losing your ass cause he's a flop

A new facility isn't going to bring anyone here with the coaching staff we presently have. That would be akin to putting a turd in a shiny gold box, which doesn't guarantee me anything, except the inside of the box will probably be sh**ty.

What I'm saying is....if NU is serious about being a contender in hoops, then they need to go find a coach who can recruit talent, and pay him a competitive salary with a promise to build a new facility if we get results. We need to see some results before throwing oodles of money down a rat hole, otherwise NU will be stuck paying usage fees for an arena with no one in the seats.

You fail to see the problem. Students stand for games, make exponentially more noise, and come in greater numbers than alumni. They're taking up what used to be student seating and making the overflow sit up in East B section while North and South A sections aren't even full.

You still use the classrooms, not? The names on the sides of the buildings aren't there by accident. Endowments keeps college affordable for everyone.

As for the seating arraignments, instead of bitching about it, has any of the student organizations brought this to Tom's attention. If so, there may be a financial reason for having to move the students. Seating isn't an entitlement just because the students are the program's most vocal supporters. If that were the case, I would have Vikings season tickets. Remember, TO's job first and foremost is making sure the Athletic Department stays in the black. If they start losing money, it wont be women's athletics they cut to save the bottom line. The men will lose programs before women because of Title IX.

BTW, thanks for your service in the Guard.

You still use the classrooms, not? The names on the sides of the buildings aren't there by accident. Endowments keeps college affordable for everyone.

As for the seating arraignments, instead of bitching about it, has any of the student organizations brought this to Tom's attention. If so, there may be a financial reason for having to move the students. Seating isn't an entitlement just because the students are the program's most vocal supporters. If that were the case, I would have Vikings season tickets. Remember, TO's job first and foremost is making sure the Athletic Department stays in the black. If they start losing money, it wont be women's athletics they cut to save the bottom line. The men will lose programs before women because of Title IX.

What you two are showing is that it takes not one side or the other, but both working together to make a great basketball environment. The students can't pay for buildings so they make noise (and pay for some buildings with tuition). The "old ass alumni" can't make as much noise as the kids, so they pay for buildings (and make some noise).

You cannot have one without the other. Without the other, neither would exist. We need to recognize that both old and young are extremely valuable to the program and make accommodations accordingly.

• Fire 1

What you two are showing is that it takes not one side or the other, but both working together to make a great basketball environment. The students can't pay for buildings so they make noise (and pay for some buildings with tuition). The "old ass alumni" can't make as much noise as the kids, so they pay for buildings (and make some noise).

You cannot have one without the other. Without the other, neither would exist. We need to recognize that both old and young are extremely valuable to the program and make accommodations accordingly.

:yeah WELL SAID! I agree!