Why Nebraska travels so well

jnkyrdoff6

The first time I went to skers away game was the Holiday Bowl, and I was just really surprised at how many more husker fans were there, seeing as how AZ is right next to CA.

Nebraska fans own Arizona. Arizonans for Nebraska, AZ4NE.com, is one of the largest alumni groups. ASU doesn't get near the amount of support that NU gets here. U of A has to contend with the Southern Arizonans for Nebraska. I actually think if the economy was better, NU wouldv'e had an even more dominant fan showing at the Holiday. Californians for Nebraska is another huge alumni association. Its tough for opposing teams' fans, even ones in their home state, to outdrawn NU in Arizona or California bowl games.

I think that the "Travel well" part is a little misleading.

I grew up in a "large" Nebraska town of ~5600, but didn't meet some of them until we all moved out here to a metro area of over two million in PHX Arizona area.

One couple I met lived just down the street from where I was living when I noticed the "37" county Nebraska plates on their cars while walking my Husky and we struck up a conversation.

The first time I came out here (while I was a Highschool Jr.) was to visit one of my older Brothers, who like literally hundreds of fresh graduates of UNL's Engineering College had moved out here where a lot of Engineering Jobs were.

Last time we played ASU out here, tickets were really hard to get even though sellouts were rare...Mainly because of the Nebraska transplants, but also because of their extended families and college buddies taking the opportunity to come out for a visit and take in a Husker game (two birds/one stone).

I also met a handful of former HHS classmates at tailgates durring the '95 MNC win over Florida that were already living out here.

Funny....Now..All my vacations involve going back home to Nebraska.

:yeah

A favorite experience of mine, while living in NoCal years ago, was the discovery of the local chapter of Northern Californian's for Nebraska. The event completely took over a great bar w/ full satellite TV ability - to get access to the game. It was so damn cool just finding the place... red people were everywhere, walking to the bar (in a tree covered campus setting.) There was even a Husker car horn that blared pulling into a parking lot! I was in friggin' heaven! You just know these Husker groups are available to 'represent' anywhere.

side story:

...some number of 'pitchers' later, with my new very best friends :cheers , I wanted to make my financial contribution to the big-dogs (for the organization's 'lease' of a little local radio station to pick up the next season's games, scholarships, etc.); I find my wife, "honey, I really need the checkbook." A couple weeks later, we start to get these THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION!!! postcard(s) showing up in the mail... Wifey - "HOW MUCH DID YOU GIVE THEM!!!???" I just smile... she just smiles back. (reason 7,804 to snag a Husker Hottie!)

oh, and BTW, HUSKER 37, I finally was able to connect all the dots... I knew I could place you in the SWC, but not sure where. Greetings from an old 52 county MHS guy who grew up down the road a piece! (I'd have to admit to Novacek cleat marks too...)

The first time I went to skers away game was the Holiday Bowl, and I was just really surprised at how many more husker fans were there, seeing as how AZ is right next to CA.

Nebraska fans own Arizona. Arizonans for Nebraska, AZ4NE.com, is one of the largest alumni groups. ASU doesn't get near the amount of support that NU gets here. U of A has to contend with the Southern Arizonans for Nebraska. I actually think if the economy was better, NU wouldv'e had an even more dominant fan showing at the Holiday. Californians for Nebraska is another huge alumni association. Its tough for opposing teams' fans, even ones in their home state, to outdrawn NU in Arizona or California bowl games.

I think that the "Travel well" part is a little misleading.

I grew up in a "large" Nebraska town of ~5600, but didn't meet some of them until we all moved out here to a metro area of over two million in PHX Arizona area.

One couple I met lived just down the street from where I was living when I noticed the "37" county Nebraska plates on their cars while walking my Husky and we struck up a conversation.

The first time I came out here (while I was a Highschool Jr.) was to visit one of my older Brothers, who like literally hundreds of fresh graduates of UNL's Engineering College had moved out here where a lot of Engineering Jobs were.

Last time we played ASU out here, tickets were really hard to get even though sellouts were rare...Mainly because of the Nebraska transplants, but also because of their extended families and college buddies taking the opportunity to come out for a visit and take in a Husker game (two birds/one stone).

I also met a handful of former HHS classmates at tailgates durring the '95 MNC win over Florida that were already living out here.

Funny....Now..All my vacations involve going back home to Nebraska.

:yeah

A favorite experience of mine, while living in NoCal years ago, was the discovery of the local chapter of Northern Californian's for Nebraska. The event completely took over a great bar w/ full satellite TV ability - to get access to the game. It was so damn cool just finding the place... red people were everywhere, walking to the bar (in a tree covered campus setting.) There was even a Husker car horn that blared pulling into a parking lot! I was in friggin' heaven! You just know these Husker groups are available to 'represent' anywhere.

side story:

...some number of 'pitchers' later, with my new very best friends :cheers , I wanted to make my financial contribution to the big-dogs (for the organization's 'lease' of a little local radio station to pick up the next season's games, scholarships, etc.); I find my wife, "honey, I really need the checkbook." A couple weeks later, we start to get these THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION!!! postcard(s) showing up in the mail... Wifey - "HOW MUCH DID YOU GIVE THEM!!!???" I just smile... she just smiles back. (reason 7,804 to snag a Husker Hottie!)

oh, and BTW, HUSKER 37, I finally was able to connect all the dots... I knew I could place you in the SWC, but not sure where. Greetings from an old 52 county MHS guy who grew up down the road a piece! (I'd have to admit to Novacek cleat marks too...)

I think there's another misplaced "Whippet" out here in the Valley of the Sun that posts on here.

Thanks again for the note and the warm fuzzy feeling when I think of Home. :thumbs

I'm just wondering what you guys think here. I think 1) it's the only team in the state, so almost 100% of the fans are huskers 2) people move out of the state for job ops, but are still husker fans because it's tradition 3) I don't know if this is true or not, but a friend of mine from Louisiana said he thought the huskers were America's team, and he slams the huskers and the B12 every chance he gets. Can any of the out-of-staters fill me in here? You think that's true?

Anytime a friend moves away from Nebraska, they become a bigger fan than before they left...it's a great way to relate and gain an identify......You are living in Dallas and are now know as the Nebraska guy.

• Fire 1

I'm just wondering what you guys think here. I think 1) it's the only team in the state, so almost 100% of the fans are huskers 2) people move out of the state for job ops, but are still husker fans because it's tradition 3) I don't know if this is true or not, but a friend of mine from Louisiana said he thought the huskers were America's team, and he slams the huskers and the B12 every chance he gets. Can any of the out-of-staters fill me in here? You think that's true?

Anytime a friend moves away from Nebraska, they become a bigger fan than before they left...it's a great way to relate and gain an identify......You are living in Dallas and are now know as the Nebraska guy.

Very good point.

And so true..

I felt a little funny when I walked into this bar in Tempe (advertised on the radio durring a timeout in one of our "Pay-per-view" games) and saw ~700 "Nebraska guys" all in red T-shirts.

Not really "funny" jealous, but sorta like when you meet someone that has your same first name.

On 2/18/2010 at 2:00 AM, HUSKER 37 said:
On 2/17/2010 at 9:27 PM, Eric the Red said:
On 2/10/2010 at 6:33 AM, jnkyrdoff6 said:

Very good point.

And so true..

I felt a little funny when I walked into this bar in Tempe (advertised on the radio durring a timeout in one of our "Pay-per-view" games) and saw ~700 "Nebraska guys" all in red T-shirts.

Not really "funny" jealous, but sorta like when you meet someone that has your same first name.