Nebraska 6-0 to start the season

If Nebraska wins all 5 home games and wins the game against Baylor in Waco and is 6-0 on the season, what do you think NU's remaining win/loss record would look like against Missouri, OU, Kansas, Kansas St, and Colorado? How many people believe we can start 6-0? Not 5-1 or 4-2, just simply, 6-0?

My guess is, if we start 6-0, we should beat Missouri, most likely lose to OU at home, beat Kansas on the road and Kansas st, and drop the last game against Colorado. Thus giving us a 9-2 record and a birth in the Big12 title game.

Thoughts, opinions on a 6-0 record? The last time NU started out 6-0 was in 2001

Honestly, if we go 9-2 or 6-5, I'm not going to be surprised either way.

I think our offense should be explosive, it just matters if we get the guys to step up and make the plays and how our defense performs. The speed we added to the defense should help. This team also appears more cohesive than the one last year. I don't think 9-2 is impossible.

IMO 6-0 is going to be tough. It's certainly not unattainable, but it'll be a challenge. Maine will be a win, Wake is a good team that's played some of the top talent in the nation very closely the last 2 years, even thought their record wasn't that good last year (only 4 wins i think) they'll be a hard fought win. Pitt will be another close call, I'm predicting NU wins, but again they'll be tough to beat. The development of our pass rush and young secondary could be pretty huge that game. They've also got some pretty talented linebackers. The biggest question mark to me is still TTech. I'd really like to see us whip them hard, and I'd imagine the team will be motivated for that game, but it'll be another major test for the defense as we all know.

Heck, if the team can make it through those games and a road trip to MU, I'd be expecting at least 9-2 and looking for a possibly in the top 15.

GO SKERS!!!!

Its such a young team it is hard for those predictions but like everyone said if they "click" then it is very attainable. If Pitt didn't fix their O-Line issues Palko will be forced to make bad passes like last year. If we play smart football and make the other team turnover more than us we should be fine. If Leon can come along at Saftey I think our Secondary will give TTech a fight, also our deep D-line should be able to pressure the newb down there. If all else fails we just beat em' in the parking lot. I hate Texas Tech right now! But I like our chances more this year but we will see those first three non-conf games should give us a very good picture of where we are going. By the time the Pitt game rolls around we will either be in the mix for 6-0 or a rough rocky season again with no less than 6 wins. We should be in a bowl game regardless. And that is improvement over last year. Lets just get back in the Top 25 and add another Top 5, 10 recruiting class and go from there. :cheers

Can NU start 6-0? Yes.

However...the number of wins and losses, for me, is less important than seeing improvement. If I see improvement, knowning the way this staff can recruit, I'll be satisfied.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but we have to remember that the new players are just that - new. Some will develop quickly, some won't. I simply can't pin sucess on wins and losses this early in Callahan's tenure. What I want is noticable improvement, knowing that more talent is one the way each year.

Can NU start 6-0? Yes.

However...the number of wins and losses, for me, is less important than seeing improvement. If I see improvement, knowning the way this staff can recruit, I'll be satisfied.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but we have to remember that the new players are just that - new. Some will develop quickly, some won't. I simply can't pin sucess on wins and losses this early in Callahan's tenure. What I want is noticable improvement, knowing that more talent is one the way each year.

Ya know, I'm somewhat opposite in the W/L department. I have been a Husker FB fan for 28 years, and for 26 of those I witnessed 9 wins each year. The 7 win season and 5 win season absolutely ripped my guts out. I hate seeing this team win. I really hope to improve as well, but if we improve and lose another 6 games I'm gonna be just as pissed and sick as I was at the end of the year last year. I don't think the expectations I have are too high, I just want to go back to a bowl game, but not winning more than 8 games will again make me ill.

Pitt is going to be an extreamly tough game. With Palko at QB anything can happen. They (Pitt) should be 2-0 going into the game (they play Notre Dame and Ohio), and should be in the top 20. IF we beat them expect major coverage on Nebraska the rest of the season. :)

AR Husker Fan is right on...... :thumbs everyone is excited and ready to forget last year and there is much to be excited about.......however most of these kids have not "played together" and they will need that experience to improve...we should get better as the season goes on, but that is no guarantee of not stumbling early or along the way....what i want to see, should we stumble as i expect, is how we respond afterwards, how we play the next couple games.......what kind of character does the team show, how they handle adversity will tell us alot about the future, next year and the year after when these kids should provide a solid nucleus for restoring a winning tradition! :cheers

hunter

This is just my opinion, but there is no way in h e double hockey sticks Pitt beats NU. Callahan may have his shortcomings as does Cosgrove, but neither of these two pull as many bonehead moves as Wanstadt. If we lose to a Wanstadt coached team, then this season will be an awfully long one.

On the other hand, I don't see us beating TT. They have too many returning starters for us to beat them, but I don't think it will be a 70-10 drumming like last year either. It may turn into a track meet, but we should at least be able to put up more than 10 points against them.

Callahan may have his shortcomings as does Cosgrove, but neither of these two pull as many bonehead moves as Wanstadt. If we lose to a Wanstadt coached team

Tell us how you really feel? :blink:

I don't understand why people keep thinking Pitts is even going to do something this year. Why? Because they return Palko and went to a BCS bowl game last year in a weak Big East conference? They have a new coach and new schemes and they will struggle this year. Willing to put money on it that even Ohio will give them a run for their money. They won't beat Notre Dame, but will beat Ohio. No team in the last 10 years (with the exception of a few times) that have had coaching changes has NOT struggled. Here is evidence to back it up

Oklahoma-Bob Stoops- 7-5 won a national title

Ohio St- Jim Tressel- 7-5 won a national title

USC-Pete Caroll- 6-6 won a national title

Auburn-Tommy Tuberville-5-6 (won a national title)

Colorado-Barnett- 7-5

Alabama-Mike Shula- 4-9

Arizona-Mike Stoops 3-8

Arizona St- Dirk Koetter- 4-7

Army-Bobby Ross 2-9

Baylor-Guy Morris 3-9

Baylor- Kevin Steele- 1-10

Kansas-Mark Mangino- 2-10

Wyoming-Joe Glenn- 4-8

Wisconsin-Barry Alverez- 1-10

West Virginia- Rich Rodriguez- 3-8

Washington-Keith Gilbertson- 6-6

Clemson-Tommy Bowden -6-6

Florida-Ron Zook- 8-5 (by Florida fans standards, thats a losing season)

Iowa-Kirk Ferentz- 1-10

Missouri-Gary Pinkle- 4-7

Texas A&M- Dennis Franchione- 4-8

I think everyone gets the general idea..etc

My view on it is Wiestedt will be another successful coach in college football, but not right off the bat.

I don't understand why people keep thinking Pitts is even going to do something this year. Why? Because they return Palko and went to a BCS bowl game last year in a weak Big East conference? They have a new coach and new schemes and they will struggle this year.

I agree with you 100%. Palko is NOTHING special. So what if he had a big game against Notre Dame. He sucked against us and our Defense was pretty stinky last year. Crap didn't DeFrand, Brothers, and Huston play most of the 2nd half? The Big East is an average conference at best and it showed in the bowl game.(Louisville adds a little to it this year) I don't know if they will have a loss before we play them but it wouldn't shock me. Didn't they need OT to beat a 1AA team last year?

On the other hand, I don't see us beating TT. They have too many returning starters for us to beat them, but I don't think it will be a 70-10 drumming like last year either. It may turn into a track meet, but we should at least be able to put up more than 10 points against them.

i don't know about beating Tech but i agree that it certainly won't be the drumming it was last year. The defense gets all the blame but most of the points were a direct result of an inept offense and innefective QBs providing plenty of gifts to TTU. hopefully that won't happen this year.

it will still be tough for our thin secondary to control that offense though. The individual players in our secondary aren't as good as last year but if they play as a cohesive unit (unlike last year), they may actually be a touch better overall.

i'm not making any predictions on Pitt but they are one of the most overrated teams this year and fully underserving of a BCS invite. the fact that they made it purely out of Big East ties just showed that the current BCS is hardly any different than the old bowl system.