What is wrong with the mens team?

Well at least we arent playing in the Big East where this would happen every year even if we had a good team.

The reason I think we are doing so bad is because we don't have any team chemistry at all and we don't have a dynamic big man/forward. Holley is an athletic freak but I am not a big fan of his jump shot. It really hurts to have McCray out this year.

Didnt we start out at 12-3 How did we get into this long slump?

This is Doc's M.O. every year. He mows through the cream puffs while sprinkling in a win against a nationally recognized program, then try to eek out a .500 in conference play to at least have a shot at the Dance or NIT. However, the normally weak sisters of the conference are putting up a fight this year instead of laying down.

This is Doc's M.O. every year. He mows through the cream puffs while sprinkling in a win against a nationally recognized program, then try to eek out a .500 in conference play to at least have a shot at the Dance or NIT. However, the normally weak sisters of the conference are putting up a fight this year instead of laying down.

Doc has actually been improving (obviously not this year's conference season). His first few years they always dropped at least one game against a cream puff and had some other close ones, he never mowed through them until last year (except for one game if i remember correctly) and then this year. Unfortunately the team fell apart this year in a tough conference, but he has improved each year. Also, conference record was improving (6-10; 7-9; 8-8) until this year. I don't see how people can get upset and say Doc has an M.O. of doing this. That's completely false. He's trying to turn around a train wreck of a program and this year he hit a bump, it happens with everyone (look at UNC). Danny Nee had an M.O. for about four of his first five seasons of sucking terribly, but oddly enough people now call him the best coach NU has had.

Your apart about the weak sisters is dead on, though

From what I see on TV we need to stop playing Prinction BB and pick up the tempo.

T_O_B

:)

Its really not Princeton offense because there isn't constant motion, we don't have strong post players, and the discipline isn't there. If we could run the Princeton offense and run it pretty well I think that would be the perfect offense for us.

I heard a great analogy the other day that I thought I would shear with you folks.

A basketball team is like a hand. In basketball, one player can make a huge difference, unlike in any other team sport. Nebraska inefficiencies come from the fact that they have no thumb. All you need is a thumb to be a great basketball team, and right now Nebraska has 5 index fingers. There isn't one player that is a cut above the rest or the I'm-going-to-carry-the-team-on-my-shoulders type of guy. We don't have a Michael Beasley or Collins from Kansas or any of those guys. We don't have a finisher that is going to put away a game for us.

Right now, I don't know if Doc is the guy that is going to get us that type of player. I hope he maybe has a guy on the roster who could fill that void, but it doesn't seem like it right now. Until we get that thumb, I think we're doomed to stay out of the NCAA tournament.

The thing too is, Nebraska could be getting blown out in every game, but some of the losses ex. K-State, have been pretty close. Still not the tallest team either (last year Nebraska was the shortest in America). I mean it could be worse, you could be stuck with UGA basketball (lost to Wofford).

Just because I'm a Mizzou fan doesn't mean I can't be objective...

Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. That's where it's at. The last couple of incoming classes really aren't doing much - Diaz is the only exception. Either they can't or Doc has no confidence.

Watch the freshmen and sophomores that Mizzou plays on Sat (Dixon, Stone, Denmon, English, Paul and Bowers)

In order to get a player to spend his winters in Nebraska, there's got to be a chance of getting to the NCAA tournament and making some noise. Some schools do it with tradition (KU)

some with big population centers to recruit in (TX, MO) some with a coach with big time ties to the AAU program, coaches and players (Frank Martin). NU has none of those. And you won't

have the first 2.

So... go with #3. NU has to find the next Frank(enstein) Martin. You get a Michael Beasly - if even for a year. Then you get another couple of very good players and have a winning season or 2.

Pretty soon you're in the top 20 and hurting some better teams.

It's a process, and I don't think Sadler will ever be the solution.

Cheers.

I definitely agree MUtigerfan. Doc is a great coach but he and his assistants have proven to be pretty poor recruiters. With that said I think that our freshman class still has a chance to be pretty special when looking at Standhardinger, Diaz, Gallegos, and possibly Ubel if he can get stronger.

The one thing I will say is that Frank Martin has nothing to do with the recruiting advantages Kstate has, their assistant coach (top paid in the nation I am pretty sure) Delonte Hill has huge connections to the AAU team DC Assault and that is where most of the recruits are coming from. NCAA basketball is a pretty crooked game when you look at the recruiting in terms of Kstate's Hill or KU's hiring of Mario Chalmers dad years back.