Congrats on a great season!

Zammers

not trying to be a jackass but i simply would not be afraid to play either boise or tcu

Famous last words of numerous BCS conference schools.

Good god guys give the team some respect. Trust me they did not lose to Iowa State, does that still fit into your memory. Bo was here when we lost that game if I am not mistaking.

TCU and Boise State are very good teams. Lack of respect is exactly what got us into the situation we had before. Thinking we were entitled, better than everyone else because we were Nebraska.

Not true anymore. We will have to actually win the games for people to believe in us. Yea lots of pub coming into this season.

We are not back, we lost to Iowa State at home.

We beat no one in the top 15 this year, or actually the top 20.

Prove it, then talk.

not trying to be a jackass but i simply would not be afraid to play either boise or tcu

I respect these teams, but I certainly don't fear them. Order Restored

I agree. A true fan never fears another team. Even teams like SMU should have fans that are loyal and fear no one.

I respect these teams, but I certainly don't fear them. Order Restored

I agree. A true fan never fears another team. Even teams like SMU should have fans that are loyal and fear no one.

Hey, I went to SMU for a semester. Didn't fit into that country club, er, college. Some guy named Craig James was there at the same time. I wonder what ever happened to him?

Good god guys give the team some respect. Trust me they did not lose to Iowa State, does that still fit into your memory. Bo was here when we lost that game if I am not mistaking.

TCU and Boise State are very good teams. Lack of respect is exactly what got us into the situation we had before. Thinking we were entitled, better than everyone else because we were Nebraska.

Not true anymore. We will have to actually win the games for people to believe in us. Yea lots of pub coming into this season.

Prove it, then talk.

thats all fine and dandy but i do not fear them. they are undersized and speedy. proper scheme will take care of any speed that they have and we have superior athletes (fact) so as long as our coaches are better (they are) then we would beat them by 2+ TDs imo.

saying that we didnt beat anyone in the top 20 (final top 20, we did beat a team or 2 in the top 20 before we played them) means very very very little. Thats not how you base success. and you are correct, we did lose to ISU by 2 after giving up 8 turnovers and completely demolishing them for 4 full quarters in every other aspect of the game. TCU or Boise or Freaking Texas would have lost that game too had they given up 8 turnovers. so that argument also holds very little water imo.

Okay, explain the Oklahoma win? You can not have it both ways.

I do not fear playing either program. But I know that it would be a very tough game for us.

I would actually like to see both in the Big 12, except for that god awful blue field.

This year we would have been the dog against either of them at any time. After the Holiday bowl, we came up in the eyes of the country. But still, I think, would have been a 3.5 point dog.

There are many good teams out there. Boise has been proving they can play with anyone for quite awhile, TCU in very close pursuit.

Prove it, then talk.

thats all fine and dandy but i do not fear them. they are undersized and speedy. proper scheme will take care of any speed that they have and we have superior athletes (fact) so as long as our coaches are better (they are) then we would beat them by 2+ TDs imo.

saying that we didnt beat anyone in the top 20 (final top 20, we did beat a team or 2 in the top 20 before we played them) means very very very little. Thats not how you base success. and you are correct, we did lose to ISU by 2 after giving up 8 turnovers and completely demolishing them for 4 full quarters in every other aspect of the game. TCU or Boise or Freaking Texas would have lost that game too had they given up 8 turnovers. so that argument also holds very little water imo.

With all due respect:

TCU is not undersized and you don't have the better coaching. Gary Patterson vs. Bo Pelini? Patterson EVERY time. FACT. I think the athleticism is a wash.

These are all common misconceptions.

Prove it, then talk.

With all due respect:

TCU is not undersized and you don't have the better coaching. Gary Patterson vs. Bo Pelini? Patterson EVERY time. FACT. I think the athleticism is a wash.

Funny how a nice friendly congratulations post from a TCU fan turns into a pissing contest isn't it? lol

Prove it, then talk.

With all due respect:

Funny how a nice friendly congratulations post from a TCU fan turns into a pissing contest isn't it? lol

Well, if everyone agreed on message boards we wouldn't have anything to talk about. I've got to at least make a case right? ;)

Prove it, then talk.

With all due respect:

Zammers, I think you're a cool poster here at HuskerBoard and I enjoy the compliments you've given Husker Nation as well as your insights. You're a class act. On top of that I also have the utmost respect for TCU football. I know they're more than capable of beating any BCS team on any given day. I also put Utah, BYU and Boise St. in that same category.

With that said, I know you're a HUGE TCU fan and it's your duty to make your case for them, and rightfully so. But in regards to the bolded statement you made above, I'm curious what your standards are in judging something like this?

IMO, it's premature to make such a statement since Patterson has been a HC for 9 years vs. Pelini's 2 years. But for the hell of it, I did some basic research and came up with the following.

Patterson's first game as a HC came in 2000 at the GMAC Mobile Alabama Bowl. He was TCU's DC in 2000 while Dennis Franchione was HC. Franchione accepted the Alabama job just before the bowl game. The team and Patterson voted that they wanted Franchione to coach in the bowl game regardless of him accepting the Alabama job, but the AD went against their wishes and passed the HC reins over to Patterson to coach the bowl game instead. Patterson lost his first game as a HC in that bowl game.

In a somewhat similar scenario, Pelini's first game as a HC also came in a bowl game while at Nebraska in the Alamo Bowl in 2003. Like Patterson, Pelini was the DC at Nebraska during the 2003 season until the AD fired Frank Solich just before the bowl game. The HC reins were temporarily passed over to Pelini. Coach Pelini won his first game as a HC in that bowl game.

Since Patterson has 7 more years of HC experience over Pelini, I've decided to compare W/L records of each coach's first 2 seasons + the 1st bowl game as HC.

Patterson = 16-9 (64%)

Pelini = 20-8 (71%)

Patterson = 1-2 in his first 3 bowl games as HC.

Pelini = 3-0 in his first 3 bowl games as HC.

To show the strength of each coach's conference that they've HC'ed in, here's the overall W/L record in each conference. TCU = C-USA (2001-2002). Nebraska = Big XII (2008-2009).

2001 - C-USA (10 Teams) = 53-63

2002 - C-USA (11 Teams) = 57-70

C-USA (2001-2002) = 45% Winning Percentage

2008 - Big XII = 91-62

2009 - Big XII = 88-66

Big XII (2008-2009) = 58% Winning Percentage

Another interesting thing to note after further research, both Patterson and Pelini were DC's for 5 seasons in Div. 1 football before becoming HC's. So for fun I compiled basic defensive stats when they were DC's for those 5 seasons. Note that Pelini has DC'ed 6 more games than Patterson. Furthermore, I added an overall conference W/L stat at the end to show the overall strength of each conference that they've coached in.

Patterson as DC

1996 @ New Mexico = 2,450 yds. passing allowed, 1,828 yds. rushing allowed, 280 pts. allowed

1997 @ New Mexico = 1,989 yds. passing allowed, 1,880 yds. rushing allowed, 254 pts. allowed

1998 @ TCU = 2,010 yds. passing allowed, 1,793 yds. rushing allowed, 216 pts. allowed

1999 @ TCU = 2,019 yds. passing allowed, 1,110 yds. rushing allowed, 199 pts. allowed

2000 @ TCU = 1,767 yds. passing allowed, 928 yds. rushing allowed, 106 pts. allowed

60 games @ 10,237 total yds. passing allowed, 7,539 total yds. rushing allowed = 17,776 total yds. allowed

60 games @ 1,055 total points allowed

Pelini as DC

2003 @ Nebraska = 2,312 yds. passing allowed, 1,551 yds. rushing allowed, 188 pts. allowed

2004 @ Oklahoma = 2,657 yds. passing allowed, 1,230 yds. rushing allowed, 219 pts. allowed

2005 @ LSU = 2,279 yds. passing allowed, 1,190 yds. rushing allowed, 185 pts. allowed

2006 @ LSU = 1,894 yds. passing allowed, 1,262 yds. rushing allowed, 164 pts. allowed

2007 @ LSU = 2,558 yds. passing allowed, 1,485 yds. rushing allowed, 279 pts. allowed

66 games @ 11,700 total yds. passing allowed, 6,718 total yds. rushing allowed, = 18,418 total yds. allowed

66 games @ 1,035 total points allowed

Overall Conference W/L comparisons.

Patterson as DC

WAC (16 Teams)

1996 @ New Mexico = 91 Wins, 95 Losses

1997 @ New Mexico = 90 Wins, 88 Losses

1998 @ TCU = 87 Wins, 101 Losses

WAC (8 Teams)

1999 @ TCU = 45 Wins, 48 Losses, 4 Ties

WAC (9 Teams)

2000 @ TCU = 48 Wins, 59 Losses

WAC (1996-2000) = 48% Winning Percentage

Pelini as DC

Big XII

2003 @ Nebraska = 88 Wins, 67 Losses

2004 @ Oklahoma = 81 Wins, 60 Losses

SEC (12 Teams)

2005 @ LSU = 79 Wins, 61 Losses

2006 @ LSU = 96 Wins, 59 Losses

2007 @ LSU = 96 Wins, 59 Losses

Big XII (2003-2004) = 57% Winning Percentage

SEC (2005-2007) = 60% Winning Percentage

Last but not least, here is a breakdown of NFL players that each coach has sent both as DC's and HC's. I gave a projected total for Pelini since this year's draft hasn't taken place yet. We obviously know that Suh will be a first round pick at this point. However, I'll also include 3 more players from Nebraska as projected NFL'ers since they've gotten invites to the NFL combines next week.

Patterson as DC (1996-2000)

5 Defensive Players to the NFL (2 from New Mexico. 3 from TCU.)

Patterson as HC (2001-2002)

3 Players to the NFL (1 player from '01 and 2 players from '02)

Pelini as DC (2003-2007)

18 Defensive Players to the NFL (3 from Nebraska. 6 from Oklahoma. 9 from LSU. Including two 1st rounders who went #5 and #6 overall).

Pelini as HC (2008-2009)

7 Players to the NFL (3 players from '08 and the projected 4 players from '09. Suh, Asante, Dillard, Turner.)

After breaking down the above statistics, you'd be hard pressed to convince people that Patterson > Pelini, definitively. Especially considering the differences in strength of their respective conferences that they've coached in. Historically the WAC and C-USA conferences are considerably weaker than the Big XII and SEC, which would favor Pelini's overall stats in this case. However, I also realize that the above stats doesn't include the past 7 years of Patterson's HC appointment for reasons already mentioned above. My point in all of this is to show that while you deemed your statement as a definitive fact, I merely showed that your assertion could be challenged on fair grounds and validly so.

With all that said, I still think Patterson is an excellent coach, regardless of conference.

Prove it, then talk.

With all due respect:

Well, if everyone agreed on message boards we wouldn't have anything to talk about. I've got to at least make a case right? ;)

True. Message boards exist for debate.. Good old fashioned entertainment :lol:

Prove it, then talk.

With all due respect:

Zammers, I think you're a cool poster here at HuskerBoard and I enjoy the compliments you've given Husker Nation as well as your insights. You're a class act. On top of that I also have the utmost respect for TCU football. I know they're more than capable of beating any BCS team on any given day. I also put Utah, BYU and Boise St. in that same category.

With that said, I know you're a HUGE TCU fan and it's your duty to make your case for them, and rightfully so. But in regards to the bolded statement you made above, I'm curious what your standards are in judging something like this?

IMO, it's premature to make such a statement since Patterson has been a HC for 9 years vs. Pelini's 2 years. But for the hell of it, I did some basic research and came up with the following.

Patterson's first game as a HC came in 2000 at the GMAC Mobile Alabama Bowl. He was TCU's DC in 2000 while Dennis Franchione was HC. Franchione accepted the Alabama job just before the bowl game. The team and Patterson voted that they wanted Franchione to coach in the bowl game regardless of him accepting the Alabama job, but the AD went against their wishes and passed the HC reins over to Patterson to coach the bowl game instead. Patterson lost his first game as a HC in that bowl game.

In a somewhat similar scenario, Pelini's first game as a HC also came in a bowl game while at Nebraska in the Alamo Bowl in 2003. Like Patterson, Pelini was the DC at Nebraska during the 2003 season until the AD fired Frank Solich just before the bowl game. The HC reins were temporarily passed over to Pelini. Coach Pelini won his first game as a HC in that bowl game.

Since Patterson has 7 more years of HC experience over Pelini, I've decided to compare W/L records of each coach's first 2 seasons + the 1st bowl game as HC.

Patterson = 16-9 (64%)

Pelini = 20-8 (71%)

Patterson = 1-2 in his first 3 bowl games as HC.

Pelini = 3-0 in his first 3 bowl games as HC.

To show the strength of each coach's conference that they've HC'ed in, here's the overall W/L record in each conference. TCU = C-USA (2001-2002). Nebraska = Big XII (2008-2009).

2001 - C-USA (10 Teams) = 53-63

2002 - C-USA (11 Teams) = 57-70

C-USA (2001-2002) = 45% Winning Percentage

2008 - Big XII = 91-62

2009 - Big XII = 88-66

Big XII (2008-2009) = 58% Winning Percentage

Another interesting thing to note after further research, both Patterson and Pelini were DC's for 5 seasons in Div. 1 football before becoming HC's. So for fun I compiled basic defensive stats when they were DC's for those 5 seasons. Note that Pelini has DC'ed 6 more games than Patterson. Furthermore, I added an overall conference W/L stat at the end to show the overall strength of each conference that they've coached in.

Patterson as DC

1996 @ New Mexico = 2,450 yds. passing allowed, 1,828 yds. rushing allowed, 280 pts. allowed

1997 @ New Mexico = 1,989 yds. passing allowed, 1,880 yds. rushing allowed, 254 pts. allowed

1998 @ TCU = 2,010 yds. passing allowed, 1,793 yds. rushing allowed, 216 pts. allowed

1999 @ TCU = 2,019 yds. passing allowed, 1,110 yds. rushing allowed, 199 pts. allowed

2000 @ TCU = 1,767 yds. passing allowed, 928 yds. rushing allowed, 106 pts. allowed

60 games @ 10,237 total yds. passing allowed, 7,539 total yds. rushing allowed = 17,776 total yds. allowed

60 games @ 1,055 total points allowed

Pelini as DC

2003 @ Nebraska = 2,312 yds. passing allowed, 1,551 yds. rushing allowed, 188 pts. allowed

2004 @ Oklahoma = 2,657 yds. passing allowed, 1,230 yds. rushing allowed, 219 pts. allowed

2005 @ LSU = 2,279 yds. passing allowed, 1,190 yds. rushing allowed, 185 pts. allowed

2006 @ LSU = 1,894 yds. passing allowed, 1,262 yds. rushing allowed, 164 pts. allowed

2007 @ LSU = 2,558 yds. passing allowed, 1,485 yds. rushing allowed, 279 pts. allowed

66 games @ 11,700 total yds. passing allowed, 6,718 total yds. rushing allowed, = 18,418 total yds. allowed

66 games @ 1,035 total points allowed

Overall Conference W/L comparisons.

Patterson as DC

WAC (16 Teams)

1996 @ New Mexico = 91 Wins, 95 Losses

1997 @ New Mexico = 90 Wins, 88 Losses

1998 @ TCU = 87 Wins, 101 Losses

WAC (8 Teams)

1999 @ TCU = 45 Wins, 48 Losses, 4 Ties

WAC (9 Teams)

2000 @ TCU = 48 Wins, 59 Losses

WAC (1996-2000) = 48% Winning Percentage

Pelini as DC

Big XII

2003 @ Nebraska = 88 Wins, 67 Losses

2004 @ Oklahoma = 81 Wins, 60 Losses

SEC (12 Teams)

2005 @ LSU = 79 Wins, 61 Losses

2006 @ LSU = 96 Wins, 59 Losses

2007 @ LSU = 96 Wins, 59 Losses

Big XII (2003-2004) = 57% Winning Percentage

SEC (2005-2007) = 60% Winning Percentage

Last but not least, here is a breakdown of NFL players that each coach has sent both as DC's and HC's. I gave a projected total for Pelini since this year's draft hasn't taken place yet. We obviously know that Suh will be a first round pick at this point. However, I'll also include 3 more players from Nebraska as projected NFL'ers since they've gotten invites to the NFL combines next week.

Patterson as DC (1996-2000)

5 Defensive Players to the NFL (2 from New Mexico. 3 from TCU.)

Patterson as HC (2001-2002)

3 Players to the NFL (1 player from '01 and 2 players from '02)

Pelini as DC (2003-2007)

18 Defensive Players to the NFL (3 from Nebraska. 6 from Oklahoma. 9 from LSU. Including two 1st rounders who went #5 and #6 overall).

Pelini as HC (2008-2009)

7 Players to the NFL (3 players from '08 and the projected 4 players from '09. Suh, Asante, Dillard, Turner.)

After breaking down the above statistics, you'd be hard pressed to convince people that Patterson > Pelini, definitively. Especially considering the differences in strength of their respective conferences that they've coached in. Historically the WAC and C-USA conferences are considerably weaker than the Big XII and SEC, which would favor Pelini's overall stats in this case. However, I also realize that the above stats doesn't include the past 7 years of Patterson's HC appointment for reasons already mentioned above. My point in all of this is to show that while you deemed your statement as a definitive fact, I merely showed that your assertion could be challenged on fair grounds and validly so.

With all that said, I still think Patterson is an excellent coach, regardless of conference.

Good Lord my brain hurts :facepalm: I give you props for making quite a good case. And there is no telling what the future holds for each coach. However, my dad always said, "A bird in hand is better than two in the bush."

Patterson has had staying power and there is no sign he is slowing down. He's a proven head coach, Pelini's jury is still out. Patterson just won the National Coach of the Year. Patterson has directed the #1 defense in the country 4 times (record) in the last 9 years.

Patterson is credited with putting more than a few players in the NFL (Those numbers above look low). A few to mention, Brian Urlacher (Bears) and Aaron Schobel (Bills) are both All-Pro's. I could go on, but I'm sure Pelini's list is just as impressive.

Suh will be (hopefully) the #1 overall pick. But, TCU is going to possibly put two players in the 1st round as well.....Jerry Hughes (first team All-American DE) and Daryl Washington (ESPN first team All-American LB). They shouldn't fall below round 2 if the fall.

So, I guess we are debating apples and oranges because both coaches are at different points in their careers.

But let me ask you one question......Would you fire a coach that is #10 among active coaches in career winning percentage, 41 players in NFL camps, 21 draft picks, 11-3 in last 14 games vs. BCS schools, 4 conference titles, 5 10 win seasons in 7 years, 4 11 win seasons in the last 6 years, 93 all-conference selections, 6 Top 25 finishes in the last 9 years, 2 Top 10 finishes in the last 2 years, and a National Coach of the Year winner........

and replace him with Bo Pelini?

Again, not saying Bo Pelini won't duplicate those feats but "A bird in hand is better than two in the bush."

Good Lord my brain hurts :facepalm: I give you props for making quite a good case. And there is no telling what the future holds for each coach. However, my dad always said, "A bird in hand is better than two in the bush."

Patterson has had staying power and there is no sign he is slowing down. He's a proven head coach, Pelini's jury is still out. Patterson just won the National Coach of the Year. Patterson has directed the #1 defense in the country 4 times (record) in the last 9 years.

Patterson is credited with putting more than a few players in the NFL (Those numbers above look low). A few to mention, Brian Urlacher (Bears) and Aaron Schobel (Bills) are both All-Pro's. I could go on, but I'm sure Pelini's list is just as impressive.

Suh will be (hopefully) the #1 overall pick. But, TCU is going to possibly put two players in the 1st round as well.....Jerry Hughes (first team All-American DE) and Daryl Washington (ESPN first team All-American LB). They shouldn't fall below round 2 if the fall.

So, I guess we are debating apples and oranges because both coaches are at different points in their careers.

But let me ask you one question......Would you fire a coach that is #10 among active coaches in career winning percentage, 41 players in NFL camps, 21 draft picks, 11-3 in last 14 games vs. BCS schools, 4 conference titles, 5 10 win seasons in 7 years, 4 11 win seasons in the last 6 years, 93 all-conference selections, 6 Top 25 finishes in the last 9 years, 2 Top 10 finishes in the last 2 years, and a National Coach of the Year winner........

and replace him with Bo Pelini?

Again, not saying Bo Pelini won't duplicate those feats but "A bird in hand is better than two in the bush."

As for the firing hypothetical that you posed, that's not how I would go about judging a coach. That sort of inquiry wouldn't even be on my radar in this scenario. Like I already mentioned, you'd be hard pressed to make such a definitive statement on something like that as if it were fact since both coaches are at different points in their careers. Like you said, apples to oranges at this point.

However, just to humor you, Nebraska's AD (who was new at the time) in 2003 did in fact fire Frank Solich who had a 58-19 record in 6 yrs. with 2 BCS bowl appearances, with one of them being for the National Championship. So yeah, if his name is Steve Pedersen, he might fire someone like Patterson and run your program into the ground afterwards. :LOLtartar

As for the NFL draft numbers, it's not an exact head count, and I'll give you an example why. While it's true that Urlacher had Patterson as a DC during his '96 & '97 seasons (he was a Freshman & Sophomore then) he actually played for two more years under a different HC & DC at New Mexico before turning pro in 2000. If I wanted to I could try and go back and add more underclassmen players that Pelini and Patterson have coached in their 5 years as DC's, but it'd be too much of a hassle trying to track down all the underclassmen from their past rosters. So instead, I only searched for when the coaches were actually there as it coincided with the player's Senior and/or Junior years when they declared for the draft. Does that make sense?

BTW, you can search the NFL draft archives here.

FWIW, Pelini has DC'ed in 3 BCS Bowl games with 2 of those games being National Championship games (Oklahoma in '04 and LSU in '07). They won the National title in '07. Furthermore, he was also the DB coach for the 49'ers when they won Super Bowl XXIX in '95.

Franchione was once considered a great coach until he left the Mountain West. He didn't have much success in the SEC, and I believe he was fired when in the Big 12. Maybe this is why Patterson's never left TCU where he's smack dab in the middle of a recruiting hotbed and has the priviledge to play in a weak conference. I've always felt this is why Boise State's coach hasn't left considering how his old boss has performed once thrown into the big boy arena.

Franchione was once considered a great coach until he left the Mountain West. He didn't have much success in the SEC, and I believe he was fired when in the Big 12. Maybe this is why Patterson's never left TCU where he's smack dab in the middle of a recruiting hotbed and has the priviledge to play in a weak conference. I've always felt this is why Boise State's coach hasn't left considering how his old boss has performed once thrown into the big boy arena.

Franchione never coached in the Mountain West Conference. In his last season with TCU, they were still in the WAC. When Patterson took over TCU they went to C-USA for several years and then jumped to the Mountain West.

It's true that Franchione was unable to mimic the same success he had in the WAC with his stints in the SEC and Big XII. Dan Hawkins is also another case when he left a peaking Boise St. program for a struggling Colorado program where he's been downright dismal.

However, Urban Meyer is an exception. He left Utah at its peak and went on to have continued success at Florida. It just goes to show that it's a case-by-case situation for some coaches.