John Clayton: Rams Will Take Bradford #1, Not Suh

mmmtodd

This is ok. In fact, let's hope 28 other teams feel the same way and Suh ends up in Purple :)

Honestly, though, it would be awesome if he went first, but it's more important to me (and probably most of Husker Nation) that he succeeds in the NFL. So hopefully wherever he ends up, there's enough talent in place overall for Suh to Ndominate.

I still hope Suh goes first for two reasons.

First, the number 1 pick gets the most money. Granted, Suh is going to be a very wealthy man either way but the way he has carried himself he's earned it in my opinion.

Second, the number 1 pick gets the most publicity. Don't think for a second that seeing Suh as a number 1 draft pick wouldn't help pull recruits to Nebraska.

Getting drafted first would be the best outcome for both Nebraska and for Suh.

It wouldn't surprise me, the Rams need a QB.

You're right that they need a QB, but picking a Rookie and tossing him to the wolves right away will be a mistake. I know that's the culture of the NFL right now, but they're screwing themselves. The Packers were able to stash Aaron Rodgers for a few years and it worked brilliantly. If someone could do that with Bradford I think they'd have a fine QB on their hands. If not, he could turn into another Joey Harrington.

I still hope Suh goes first for two reasons.

First, the number 1 pick gets the most money. Granted, Suh is going to be a very wealthy man either way but the way he has carried himself he's earned it in my opinion.

Second, the number 1 pick gets the most publicity. Don't think for a second that seeing Suh as a number 1 draft pick wouldn't help pull recruits to Nebraska.

Getting drafted first would be the best outcome for both Nebraska and for Suh.

Those are two very good points. I think the reality is that even though Suh is the best player in the draft he may not go first because of the Rams' huge need at QB like BRI said. What would mitigate losing the prestige of going #1 is if Suh had a lengthy career and got his name and ours mentioned over and over, year after year.

I know the rams are stupid but are they really dumb enough not to trade it away if they do want a QB??

I know Clayton has some ties with executives but I still think Kiper and McShay know way more about the draft than him.

I agree! I really think a QB won't be taken until mid to late 1st Round. So the Rams would be stupid to take a QB as their #1 pick when they could work a great trade deal with another team that needs solid defensive players and still land the QB they want later in the round.

The problem facing the Rams is that they aren't one defensive tackle away from being competitive.

The Rams aren’t one player in any spot away from being competitive-—DT, QB, or whatever. The Rams have too many needs and not enough cap room to address them. Suh would help them out more this year than Bradford because Suh could contribute. But no way the Rams make the playoffs regardless of who they draft.

• Fire 1
The problem facing the Rams is that they aren't one defensive tackle away from being competitive.

The Rams aren’t one player in any spot away from being competitive-—DT, QB, or whatever. The Rams have too many needs and not enough cap room to address them. Suh would help them out more this year than Bradford because Suh could contribute. But no way the Rams make the playoffs regardless of who they draft.

What would help the Rams the most is trading that first pick for a first and a second, or a pick and a player. More and more I'm beginning to believe they'll trade that pick to increase the overall value of their draft. The worst thing they could do is take a QB #1, pay him that money, put him in a game with that porous O Line and ruin the first couple of years of his career.

• Fire 1

What would help the Rams the most is trading that first pick for a first and a second, or a pick and a player. More and more I'm beginning to believe they'll trade that pick to increase the overall value of their draft. The worst thing they could do is take a QB #1, pay him that money, put him in a game with that porous O Line and ruin the first couple of years of his career.

Let's hope the Rams trade with the Vikings...how unstoppable would Suh and Allen be on the same defense? Yes, I'm totally dreaming, but don't wake me up until draft day please. :)

Let's hope the Rams trade with the Vikings...how unstoppable would Suh and Allen be on the same defense? Yes, I'm totally dreaming, but don't wake me up until draft day please. :)

I vote "No" because that would be a nearly unstoppable front line.

Sincerely,

A Bears Fan ;)

The Rams arent one player in any spot away from being competitive-DT, QB, or whatever. The Rams have too many needs and not enough cap room to address them. Suh would help them out more this year than Bradford because Suh could contribute. But no way the Rams make the playoffs regardless of who they draft.

+1

Great Points!

Adam Schefter is apparently on this wagon as well...

From the fine folks at Sports Illustrated

7:32 AM ET 02.26 | And the top pick in the draft will be ... Sam Bradford. ESPN analyst Adam Schefter went out on a limb when he said: Said Schefter: "I would like to record something here, on February 24th. Two months from the draft. And tell you who the number one pick is gonna be right now. On the basis of what I've talked to people around the league [about], everything I've heard. And at some point it's gonna shift to this guy, and I don't know whether it'll be now or late March. It'll probably be after his Pro Day, when he goes through his Pro Day and goes through his workout. Then all of a sudden -- it'll be about a month from now -- we'll start hearing, 'Wow. Would and could the Rams take with the number one overall pick Sam Bradford?"

Yeah, the Rams have a half dozen holes to plug on their team. Drafting Suh could plug one (a real BIG one). Or trading Suh could plug three or four. They need to find a current day Mike Ditka with a Ricky Williams-esque coach-crush on Suh and trade for a bunch of picks.