RB - Frank Solich

OL - Milt Tenopir

WR - Scott Frost

DL - Carl Pelini

LB - Monte Kiffin

DB - Marvin Sanders

Strength - James Dobson

Recruiting Coordinator - John Blake

I'll take on the world with that coaching staff.

TE - Ron Brown

HC - Bob Devaney

OC - Dr. Tom

DC - Bo Pelini

QB - Turner Gill

RB - Frank Solich

OL - Milt Tenopir

WR - Scott Frost

DL - Carl Pelini

LB - Monte Kiffin

DB - Marvin Sanders

Strength - James Dobson

TE - Ron Brown

:facepalm:

Dude, you're absolutely right. How did I forget Ron Brown? Actually, that deserves two facepalms:

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Jerry Pettibone as recruiting coordinator. He brought in Rozier and Fryar, and Billy Sims at OU.

No mention of McBride? Warren Powers? Lance Van Zandt?

Great call on all three. These guys were top notch. Especially Warren Powers. After he bolted NU for the HC job at Mizzou, he knocked us out of playing for the national championship when he beat us in 1978.

Who would be on your Husker coaching staff Dream Team? Taken from Husker coaches past or present, in their prime.

HC: Bob Devaney

DC: Carl and Bo as co-DCs

OC: Jay Norvell

Not sure who I’d staff at the various assistant coaching positions.

Jay Norvell???? You're joking, right?

For DC's I could see a 3 way fight between Bo, Monte, and Charlie McBride (he was okay, too, ya know).

John Blake as recruiting coordinator? I'm not so sure about that. While the guy could probably sell ice to an Eskimo, the "talent" brought in while he was here never turned out to be much. Dr. Tom was a much, much, MUCH better evaluator of talent than John Blake ever was. But he would be the best OC we could have, so he might have to wear 2 hats.

What can I say? I think the guy is a good coach and I liked the offenses he put on the field. In 2006 Norvell had NU’s offense ranked 14th nationally. I don’t know if you remember the Callahan years, but our offense wasn’t the problem. Norvell even had OU ranked 23rd in total offense last season—--with RS freshman Landry Jones at QB, a committee of RBs, and a whole new set of WRs from the year before.

Who would you choose instead? You’ve said who you don’t like. Are there any NU coaches who you do like?

Unfortunately, I remember that Callahan was the coach here, but I don't remember alot of specifics. I do remember that the offense pretty well sucked most of the time. Just briefly looking through his 3 years here as "OC," NU averaged under 30 points per game (maybe someone can help me here?), but I remember games where the offense struggled mightily against powerhouses like Maine and ISU. Or games against OU or USC where the offense never did anything. Norvell is the WR coach and I guess the co-OC at OU. Besides, he was OC in name only here, Callahan called the plays.

I'm not sure if you remember, but the West Coast Offense at Nebraska never worked well and WAS a problem. Yes, there were a few games sprinkled in here and there that were gems (usually against Div-1 AA opponents), but for the most part, it was junk, no matter who the coach was: Callahan, Norvell, or Watson. Go back and look at the stats and scores from 04-07, less than impressive.

Dr. Tom is the best OC NU has ever had. I would bet the farm that he could put together a offense that would score 40 points per game, easily.

That’s the thing. A lot of folks don’t remember that we had a pretty good offense under Callahan. At least, during his final two years. The first two years pretty much sucked, both on offense, and to a lesser extent defense (2005 defense wasn’t too bad). But by 2006-2007 our offenses were pretty good. But our defenses sucked. Big time. The 2007 Blackshorts defense may have been the worst defense ever for NU—but the offense was pretty good. In 2007 we scored 31 on #1 ranked USC and scored 39 on #8 ranked KU, but got beat soundly both times. Look at the CU game: We hung a half a hundert on CU in Boulder—And they beat us! (51-65). Not the offenses fault in any of those three losses. Consider the overall offense and defensive ranking for our last two years of Callahan:

2006 total offense: 14

2006 total defense: 56

2007 total offense: 9

2007 total defense: 112

Our defense sucked. Our offense was pretty good.

As for TO being the offensive coordinator, I wouldn’t say that’s a bad choice at all. Dr. Osborne built one of the most potent offenses in the history of college football—The 1983 Scoring Explosion. His offenses from the middle 90’s were very good, but maybe not great. The great Blackshirt defenses 92-95 helped out our offenses considerably. But I would prefer an offense that can pass as well as run. That’s why I gave Norvell the nod.

I think we'll agree to disagree on that, but 2 points I must make: 1) Watson was the "OC" (in name only) in 2007, (I believe that Norvell was at UCLA) and many of those points did come in junk time, 2) the offenses NU had back in the mid 90's were much better than very good, they were flat out dominant from the first stringers to the fourth stringers. I believe that the 95 team actually had better overall numbers against better competition than the 83 offense, and probably would have had even better numbers if they didn't play the reserves for 2/3rd's of most games.

HC - Bob Devaney

OC - Dr. Tom

DC - Bo Pelini

QB - Turner Gill

RB - Frank Solich

OL - Milt Tenopir

WR - Scott Frost

DL - Carl Pelini

LB - Monte Kiffin

DB - Marvin Sanders

Strength - James Dobson

Dobson seems solid so far, but vs. Epley (in his prime)? Epley changed college football. Some would say he was more vital to our success than TO.

HC - Bob Devaney

OC - Dr. Tom

DC - Bo Pelini

QB - Turner Gill

RB - Frank Solich

OL - Milt Tenopir

WR - Scott Frost

DL - Carl Pelini

LB - Monte Kiffin

DB - Marvin Sanders

Strength - James Dobson

I agree with this entirely but no Charlie McBride, anywhere???? It would be really hard to put Charlie at DC instead of Bo but Charlie delivered amazing defenses year after year. And Charlie McBride punched Bret Musburger in face back in the day...I love that!