ESPN: Weak and Strong on Nebraska

Fuzzy

My opinion is that the weakest spot on the team is QB. Last spring we knew the QB spot would come down to Zac Lee and LT Washington. This spring, it seems there is a much more wide open race for the starting QB. Zac Lee won't be participating in spring ball until the end. They won't risk playing him in the Spring Game. So we are probably going to see Green, Washington, Martinez and Spano take the field on April 17.

Agreed I think that our weakest position is QB. I think Bo and Carl can take care of the defense fine but the offense was shaky last year and it started with the QB.

Im pretty surprised to see everyone basically writing off/leaving out Thenarse. I dont care how much talent Cooper or others are supposed to have, theyre lil untested boys compared to the old dawg vet with a chip on his shoulder back there. I wouldnt worry about it too much.

What about Hagg? He may be the most talented guy we got coming back this year. And he can play both safety spots.

The safety spots are not our weakest positions. LBs are.

I agree, but the coaches have said that Hagg is just too valuable at nickel to move.

On a side note, putting Corey Cooper in next to P.J. Smith might be the best scenario. The way I see it, Cooper's going to be a star one day. With the extreme amount of talent and experience and we'll have at corner, nickel, and dime, pressure on the safeties will be minimal. Maybe Cooper gets a year of experience this year when expectations are low, and he'd be able to develop. Then a few years down the road, him and P.J. could be beastly. Thoughts?

Dijon Washington is supposed to be really good and so too is Andrew Green. We have ample, albeit inexperienced people to plug in. Safety will be no problem by seasons end.

THANK YOU!!!! Please people don't forget about DiJon Washington. He will be a stud and everyone seems to be forgetting about him.

I don't think safety is the issue here. I think we are going to miss Dillard A TON! I hope Eric Martin really shines through there as well as other linebackers pick up, our defensive line will be just as good next year. Let's face it, Pelini was a safety, we are losing two safeties, Pelini did A HECK OF A JOB coaching O'Hanlon up to what he played from 2008 to 2009. Yes, I ragged on the guy a ton in 2008 and after Virginia Tech, and I feel bad about it now, but he played like a man on a mission after the Tech game. O'Hanlon was a walk-on and Pelini did wonders with him, and you gotta give Matt credit for hanging tough and not listening to the critics and showing some pride on the field, heck of a story for him, I will miss his heart.

With that being said, I think we re-tool safety with ease. Pelini was a safety, and with Sanders as our secondary coach, consider what they did with the Bullocks twins in 2003, and what they did this past year, I have 100% faith safety will be fine with the talent we have, as well as our coaching staff even with two new starters, or Thenarse coming back, I want to see how good he can be full time no injuries. Hopefully for him he gets that this year, but let the best man play.

I think our weak point on defense will be Linebacker. Once Dillard was inserted into the starting job, he held that down all year. I think we are going to need all three linebackers to play well, and I look for Eric Martin to lead the way. Dillard was amazing and we will miss his leadership, heart, and football ability much more so than safety in my opinion.

David probably won't start contributing until towards the middle of the season (not knocking his skills, it's him learning the defense). If he'd have gotten to Nebraska at the same time as Hardrick, then I'd probably put him up there as the top LB with Martin (Compton's competent and has the possibility of being a Bo Ruud or McKweon during his good year(s), but he'll never be exceptional like Martin and David have the potential to be).

I'm sorry, this is a different subject, but it does have to do with David Ubben.

"Tom from Omaha asks:

david. yes, nebraskas offense last season didn't do to great, and everybody pointed the blame at zac lee. why doesn't anybody talk about his elbow injury 3 games into the season as a possible cause for blame? and when he finally had a little healing time (in between the big 12 title game, and arizona) he looked great after. why can't people cut him a little slack?

DU: I think the frustration mostly stems from how close the Huskers came and how bad their offense was, injury or not. If Nebraska's offense is just mediocre, there's a great chance they make a BCS bowl. When an offense looks bad, quarterbacks are going to get more blame than any one else on the offense, unless there are a bunch of fumbles or dropped passes. That's just the nature of the game. "

Did he even watch the Iowa State game?

Im pretty surprised to see everyone basically writing off/leaving out Thenarse. I dont care how much talent Cooper or others are supposed to have, theyre lil untested boys compared to the old dawg vet with a chip on his shoulder back there. I wouldnt worry about it too much.

+1. Ricky has the athleticism to play Sundays. Not sure about the noggin. I hope he’s been hitting the books during his year off. The playbooks, that is.