Cody Green throwing motion

While i'm not a QB coach, I'll take a stab at it... As was previously mentioned, Cody doesn't appear to use a great deal of his legs/body in his motion. Compared to Joe, who used a tremendous amount of shoulder turn (for you golfers), Sam Keller (who had the zip on the ball due to his leg drive) It's close to Vince Young's, without the sidearm motion. Just a guess, but when you watched Cody throw last fall, by staying with both feet solidly, he had a tendency to miss high (ie, the pick 6 vs Baylor, which was a bad read to start with) He could also short hop it with the best of them, despite a tremendous amount of velocity. I think Wats has given him the thought of "turning in a barrel" to give his motion some more consistency. By thinking about using his legs more, he's actually slowed down his release, which is still plenty fast enough. With enough work, he can get used to a slightly (I'm talking fractions of a second) different timing on some routes, but i think it'll ultimately benefit him and the receivers he wont' leave out to dry.

JMO

I've never really heard knocks on CG's throwing motion from anyone in the business...whereas guys like Tebow and VY had the criticism from day one, but they got away with it in college. I don't think it'll be a huge problem, but then again Wats or Bo will never call out a player publicly, so I guess we'll never know if they think it's a problem

If Cody Green becomes nationally visible to the media you will start to hear the criticism. Just because the media hasn't focused on the throwing motion of Nebraska's backup quarterback doesn't mean that it isn't a problem.

What I saw of Green doesn't look as bad as Vince Young or Tebow. Every Day Should be Saturday dubbed Tebow's throwing motion the Fritatta.

Yeah but it's Nebraska dude! We focus on our football players as intently (if not more) as anyone in the country. If the criticism was going to be a big deal, I at least us Husker nuts would have heard about it already multiple times. Of course, I could be grossly wrong and you could have heard about it plenty before, but I would guess that.

The only thing I remember hearing about throwing was the monday after the spring game on unsportsmanlike conduct, they had someone from rivals on the show (Jeremy Crabtree I think) talking about the QBs. He said LTW was always trying to throw on a flat line, but other than that, nothing about Green, or Lee for that matter. But if you have heard things in the past about CG's motion, let me know cause now I'm really curious chuckleshuffle

looks to me that he is pushing off his back foot, like he should....planting his front foot, and his right foot kicks up on the follow through.

all of the qb's in the video lifted their back foot to some degree on the follow through and i think that his looks odd because it is more dramatic. i dont think there is anything wrong with it

• Fire 1

I've never really heard knocks on CG's throwing motion from anyone in the business...whereas guys like Tebow and VY had the criticism from day one, but they got away with it in college. I don't think it'll be a huge problem, but then again Wats or Bo will never call out a player publicly, so I guess we'll never know if they think it's a problem

If Cody Green becomes nationally visible to the media you will start to hear the criticism. Just because the media hasn't focused on the throwing motion of Nebraska's backup quarterback doesn't mean that it isn't a problem.

What I saw of Green doesn't look as bad as Vince Young or Tebow. Every Day Should be Saturday dubbed Tebow's throwing motion the Fritatta.

Yeah but it's Nebraska dude! We focus on our football players as intently (if not more) as anyone in the country. If the criticism was going to be a big deal, I at least us Husker nuts would have heard about it already multiple times. Of course, I could be grossly wrong and you could have heard about it plenty before, but I would guess that.

The only thing I remember hearing about throwing was the monday after the spring game on unsportsmanlike conduct, they had someone from rivals on the show (Jeremy Crabtree I think) talking about the QBs. He said LTW was always trying to throw on a flat line, but other than that, nothing about Green, or Lee for that matter. But if you have heard things in the past about CG's motion, let me know cause now I'm really curious chuckleshuffle

I haven't heard anything from the Nebraska media. However, throwing motion analysis seems to be more prevalent when people are discussing professional prospects. The Nebraska media focuses, rightly, on the college prospects of Nebraska players. I'd hold off and wait until the day when/if people are discussing Green's potential as a professional.

People have been on about Green's shortcomings as a passer since he was recruited out of HS. I think if you check out his recruiting thread you'll see some of that.

I voiced similar concerns last summer and got little response, so it's good to see that I'm not the only person who has noticed this. IMO though it's not Green's throwing motion that's the problem, but his footwork. Any QB coach worth his salt will tell you that proper balance and foot placment are the foundation of proper passing mechanics. And if the early (and albeit limited) spring video is any indication, Cody still has a fair amount of work to do in that department.

Then again what true Sophomore doesn't?

Doesn't all this talk about the throwing motions of Nebraska QBs make you wonder who had the nicest throwing motion all-time as a Husker? Well, doesn't matter b/c it got me thinking about it, and that's all I needed.

IMO Turner Gill had the sweetest throwing motion among NU QBs. A close 2nd was Bobby Newcombe - it's too bad he didn't get to use that weapon more than he did.

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers or knock on anyone here (I'm guilty of doing the same thing many times) but does anyone else find it a little funny that dozens of fans are sitting around talking about how they are worried about a quarterback's throwing motion? I don't care how bad you think the qb coach is, I'm guessing if he was able to land a job at a Div. 1 school he knows SOMETHING about throwing motions, and if fans "see" something, he probably sees it too. Maybe there are a dozen former Div. 1 qb coaches on here and I'm the odd man out. I had to chuckle reading through this thread.

That being said I, too, think his throwing motion is goofy. One things for sure, he manages to get some zip on his throws

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers or knock on anyone here (I'm guilty of doing the same thing many times) but does anyone else find it a little funny that dozens of fans are sitting around talking about how they are worried about a quarterback's throwing motion?

Hi, I'm the Off Season. Nice to meet you ;)

Aside from the leg kick I don't see a lot of difference between Green's motion in that video compared to his motion this time last year. It's still an awkward motion, and I don't see him putting a lot of his body into the throw. It seems to all come from the shoulder, with the leg kick added almost for show, like he's been told to throw using his legs but instead of doing that he makes it look like he's using his legs.

From what I remember at the Spring Game last year, LaTravis Washington's motion looks almost identical, that Scott Frost-like spear chuck, more dart than pass. It seems like the trajectory on LTW's throw is downward (Frost-like), and it doesn't appear to be an easily catchable ball.

This makes me wonder – why does our OC get so much credit for developing quarterbacks when, after a year, it appears that two of our QBs at least have barely developed at all?

Granted, I'm a layman and not a QB coach in the slightest, so if someone has more insight I'd love to hear that I'm wrong. In fact, I'm hoping that's what I'll hear. The worst thing would be that I'm not.

In a years time, how much can you really clean up with a QB you are having to mold yourself?

Over a year ago I spoke about this - Cody is like a baby in his progress for the QB position. Cody's offense at Dayton was a predominant spread offense, meaning his footwork was limited. The progressions in his reads were limited as Dayton's offense was usually a one-two read progression before they allowed Cody to become a runner. Mix that in with the fact Cody lost nearly an entire year (his junior season) to ankle issues and you have a completely raw player.

This is why Cody needed that RS year so badly. He needed that year to break bad habits by constant repetition without being thrown to the wolves. It made it difficult to break those habits when Cody was put on the field, felt some pressure and reverted back to some old HS habits.

The encouraging part of Cody's progression is the dropback in his footwork. It looks clean and somewhat smooth. His last throw on what looked like an out was nasty though. Opened way to earlier which lead to that errant pass.

Cody also has been working on keeping the ball higher, because I had noticed he was somewhat prone to keeping the ball low when he was prepared to pass. Not many Tony Romo's in the world who get away with keeping the ball low consistently.

He also has improved over relying too much on his shoulder/arm, although it's not completely there yet.

But from where he was, to where he is, it's quite a bit of difference I have seen. Still a ways to go, especially learning reads and progressions, but he is getting there.

Really wish he had gotten that RS year, and would be given this year to sit on the bench and learn. Did not happen last year and definitely does not look like it will happen this year. :hmmph

Also, for those mentioning Kody Spano; he isn't in this video, at least not from what I had seen. I saw a #3, but that is Taylor Martinez, unless I have my numbers mixed up for this year.

• Fire 1