Special Team - KO & Punt Returns

So far it sounds like nothing has changed...although I would like to see Dennard back there some more. Although they probably won't because they thought about trying Prince on return but said it would be to taxing. I'd also like to say Marlowe have some more opportunities too.

It may be too early to speculate about Ty Kildow, especially with his acl injury during his senior year of H.S., but I wouldn't be suprised to see his name start popping up in regards to the return positions. He was a homerun hitter in H.S., obviously against lesser competition than some, but his sub 4.4 40 while camping here makes you think that he would at least have to be a candidate. If he can regain the speed he once had, or even improve upon it I could see him becoming our return man of the future.

I don't think you will see many changes as far as special teams go.

I for one really, really, REALLY would like to see some of the younger kickers get some reps this year, especially in the field goal/kicking area. Henery is graduating after this year (or, at least losing his football eligibility) so we are going to need somebody to get reps and get used to kicking in front of 85,000 people.

I'd like for a younger punter to get some work in for some of the longer punting situations we run into this year (when our offense has to stall inside our 30). It seemed for every punt that Henery boomed for over 50-60 yards, he'd have a punt that'd only go 35-40 yards. Not exactly a shank, but definitely not the best. In fact if we get a real boomer this year, only have Henery punt when we're inside the 50, play to his best strength, directional kicking.

I'd like for a younger punter to get some work in for some of the longer punting situations we run into this year (when our offense has to stall inside our 30). It seemed for every punt that Henery boomed for over 50-60 yards, he'd have a punt that'd only go 35-40 yards. Not exactly a shank, but definitely not the best. In fact if we get a real boomer this year, only have Henery punt when we're inside the 50, play to his best strength, directional kicking.

This may be partly because we have Henery punting rugby style much of the time. When he was at Burke he could boom the high towering punts for pretty long distances. Maybe the rugby style punts are harder for the punt returner to handle, even though they don’t go far in the air.

I agree about getting a younger punter on the field sometimes. Heck, I'd like to see some of the younger kickers too when we get a comfortable lead.

We would have to have a comfortable lead to see new kickers/punters. Bo isn't going to throw a guy in for some reps when the game is still on the line. The best players play as long as the game is in question.

As far as returners go, I still see them using Paul because he is explosive, but if they can get 2 new guys on kick offs that would be great, or someone to go back with Paul. Have a two deep return set up so there is always a blocker back there.

We would have to have a comfortable lead to see new kickers/punters. Bo isn't going to throw a guy in for some reps when the game is still on the line. The best players play as long as the game is in question.

As far as returners go, I still see them using Paul because he is explosive, but if they can get 2 new guys on kick offs that would be great, or someone to go back with Paul. Have a two deep return set up so there is always a blocker back there.

I'm not so sure about that, to be honest. It's not very good coaching strategy to ONLY let your backups into games once the game is out of hand. I'm not saying bring in the back-up kicker when there is one minute left in a tie ball game, fourth down, at our own 20 yard line. I'm just saying that you can't teach these guys the pressure of the game without letting them experience it first hand.

Plus, Carl Pelini told reporters after Wednesday's practice that the coaches are really starting to feel like they have 22 guys on offense and 22 guys on defense that can all play at a high level. He told us we're probably not going to see the same guys in games for 60-70 snaps and that we will see more rotation this year.