Why I like Duke Basketball

In tonight's NCAA Championship game they started 3 seniors and 2 juniors. They are not a team with 5 starters who are just looking for a quick pass onto the NBA. These are 'Student Atheletes' and that is what makes college sports great and why I think the NBA has some deep problems. I realize that I am a "white bread, mid-west, conservative American" but there is something about overly tatooded athletes who are high school grads with a very suspect year in college, that bothers me.

As far as I'm concerned Duke, and there are absolutely others, does it right.

T_O_B

The reason I like Duke is because my fiance has grown up in the area, and she is the third in her family to work there, so it makes her happy for them to win, so it makes me happy for them to win.

We're Clemson fans first and foremost, but I don't mind Duke at all.

Also, Duke will not retire a player's uniform unless he graduated...and they won't hang a championship banner unless the whole team graduates. Good stuff. Coach K does it right.

The reason I like Duke is because my fiance has grown up in the area, and she is the third in her family to work there, so it makes her happy for them to win, so it makes me happy for them to win.

We're Clemson fans first and foremost, but I don't mind Duke at all.

Also, Duke will not retire a player's uniform unless he graduated...and they won't hang a championship banner unless the whole team graduates. Good stuff. Coach K does it right.

They do it right and I will always back them because of that. Same reason I like Bob Knight, he did it right.

T_O_B

For some reason I have never liked Duke. I am indifferent about coach K and was kind of a fan of Ridick a few years back. There really is no reason why I don't like them maybe except for the fact they play in the ACC. For some reason I always find myself rooting against them no matter who the the other team is except for maybe teams like Mizzou or K-State. I do like the fact they find players who fit Coach K's coaching style and the fact they find players who will stay but their are plenty of other programs that do that as well.

Well, it is Duke for cryin' out loud... It is one of the premier learning institutions in this country. It couldn't get away with the same kind of codology that other schools do, but I think that is the way it should be done. Graduate with your degree and then go play basketball... I don't care if Tony Kornheiser thinks that I "don't get it" in regards to why these kids go to college in the first place, but much like Rudy at Notre Dame, you have to stop and smell the roses. It amazes me how many of these dumbasses don't graduate, and it's not like they're all going to have NBA careers, in fact, most of them will flop or burn out or get injured or play in Turkmenistan or something.

It sort of reminds me of this [really funny] EPSN spot on Cal-Tech basketball:

Generally I like Duke. Even though the couple of Duke grads I know are kinda smarmy about it.

But last night I was cheering for Butler. Rootin for the underdog.

I don't mind Duke one bit nor have I ever hated the team and Coach K. I believe Coach K is one of the most down to earth type of person who has a lot of respect for all of his opponents unlike Mack Brown....I hate Texas.

Last night I found myself rooting for the underdogs of Butler because I wanted that Cinderella team to win the BIG game for all of the other smaller Universities who have never made it this far. Once the game was over I felt like I have been a die hard Butler fan for 26 years and that somebody had ripped my heart out of my chest after that heart break loss.

It was like watching the Big 12 title came all over again and feeling bummed out and depressed...but oh well congrats to Duke and Coach K. Bring on the 2010 Football Season.

Not a Duke fan at all but I do respect them, and of course Coach K is one of the most respected, classiest D1 coach out there. I think it is more of the players over the last well 20 years now that I have not really cared for, and with the exceptions of Carlos Boozer and Grant Hill most of them don't live up to their college hype in the NBA.

Not a Duke fan at all but I do respect them, and of course Coach K is one of the most respected, classiest D1 coach out there. I think it is more of the players over the last well 20 years now that I have not really cared for, and with the exceptions of Carlos Boozer and Grant Hill most of them don't live up to their college hype in the NBA.

I guess I don't get the dislike for a college team because their guys don't do well in the pros. As of opening day for the 2009-2010 season, Duke was tied for 1st with UConn for the most players on NBA rosters.

By the pro-potential logic, we shouldn't like any Huskers that didn't make it big in the NFL.

Maybe it's cuz I'm not much of an NBA fan, but I'm not too concerned with what kind of pro-hype a kid gets while he's still in college. Look at the Hayward kid from Bulter. Nobody really knew who he was until the tournament and all of the sudden his draft stock has jumped up a lot. But he could be as big a flop as anybody from any team, not just Duke.

And as far as teams like Duke and Butler go, they graduate 90% of their players, play team-oriented basketball, and win a lot. And I think that winning a lot of games with white guys who are perceived as being less athletic and just all-around worse basketball players is why most people don't like Duke.

I will say that I have been a Duke fan almost as long as I've been a Husker fan, even before their first title.

In tonight's NCAA Championship game they started 3 seniors and 2 juniors. They are not a team with 5 starters who are just looking for a quick pass onto the NBA. These are 'Student Atheletes' and that is what makes college sports great and why I think the NBA has some deep problems. I realize that I am a "white bread, mid-west, conservative American" but there is something about overly tatooded athletes who are high school grads with a very suspect year in college, that bothers me.

As far as I'm concerned Duke, and there are absolutely others, does it right.

T_O_B

--------------------------------------------------------------

They do it right and I will always back them because of that. Same reason I like Bob Knight, he did it right.

T_O_B

Double ditto.

Even though I would liked to have seen Butler win it all, having Duke and Coach K winning is a good thing for all of college athletics.