New to the Huskers, anything I should know

Basically the only players I know are Helu, Burkhead, Crick, Henery, Zac Lee, Cody Green, and now the Martinez kid. I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to just give me a quick rundown of some important things I should know about the Huskers in general, roster, coaching etc., in order to be able to know what people are talking about on this forum.

Welcome to the board! :corndance

For current info, I would just try to come to the board at least once a day. We have guys here who never sleep and post everything Husker-related that they can find (Nexus :thumbs ). There's also a good group that keeps all the recruiting info updated if you're looking into staying on top of our future Huskers.

Don't be afraid to just jump into threads and ask a bunch of questions either, it only makes the board better.

Welcome to the board! Consider this your new home on the interwebs.

There are many parts to the great tradition known as Nebraska Football.

- Bob Devaney (aka The Bobfather)

- NU-OU

- The Game of the Century

- The Osborne Era

- The tunnel walk

- The tailgating

- Tommie Frazier

- The walk-on program

- The blackouts.. err I mean sea of red

These are just a few of the things that make NU football what it is today.

I'm sure our other members will make you feel right at home and please don't hesitate to ask a question!

Thanks for being a member on Huskerboard. :thumbs

Good start. You have the three-deep down for QB. Just 21 posiitons to go. Plus special teams.

Also, you should know that a peso is worth about 8 cents--between a dime and a nickel.

And welcome to the Huskernation!!

One thing that is very interesting is that Nebraska's core coaching staff under Bo Pelini has stayed the same since here arrived here for the 2008 season. We are one of the few programs in the country that have had the core coaching staff remain in tact over the last couple of years.

One thing that made Nebraska so good during the Osborne era was coaching consistency. T.O., Charlie McBride, Milt Tenopir, etc. were all with the Nebraska program for very long. T.O. and McBride (McBride was our defensive coordinator) both had 25+ years of coaching at Nebraska under their belt.

One thing that is very interesting is that Nebraska's core coaching staff under Bo Pelini has stayed the same since here arrived here for the 2008 season. We are one of the few programs in the country that have had the core coaching staff remain in tact over the last couple of years.

One thing that made Nebraska so good during the Osborne era was coaching consistency. T.O., Charlie McBride, Milt Tenopir, etc. were all with the Nebraska program for very long. T.O. and McBride (McBride was our defensive coordinator) both had 25+ years of coaching at Nebraska under their belt.

You're close. McBride came into the program in '77 and retired in '99 (22 years). He started out as our DL coach before being promoted to DC in '81. Tenopir, Epley, Darlington, Melton and Fischer along with T.O. hit the 25+ year mark though.

You're close. McBride came into the program in '77 and retired in '99 (22 years). He started out as our DL coach before being promoted to DC in '81. Tenopir, Epley, Darlington, Melton and Fischer along with T.O. hit the 25+ year mark though.

Arguably, we've probably had some of the greatest defensive minds to come through here at one time or another.

Monte Kiffin got his start here as a GA under Devaney ('66-'72) and later DC under Osborne ('73-'76). Father of the often imitated "Tampa Cover 2" defense, Kiffin's philosophy is one of the most influential in modern college and pro football.

Charlie McBride's evolution from the 5-2 to the 4-3 defenses that dominated college football from '94-'97.

Bo Pelini's stint in 2003 making a drastic change in defensive output.

And now with the Pelini Wrecking Crew adding a few more wrinkles in a defense they claim can top last year's.....

When does the season start? :ahhhhhhhh

- NU-OU

- The Osborne Era

- The tunnel walk

- The tailgating

- Tommie Frazier

- The walk-on program

I'm sure our other members will make you feel right at home and please don't hesitate to ask a question!

let's see... I know about ne-ou. Although I don't hate some of the ppl that come out of there (Adrian peterson and Phil loadholt). I know pelini is awesome especially compared to Callahan. Not really sure bout game of the century Tommie Frazier or the walk on program. I'll be on here pretty often trying to learn all I can about the huskers and preparing for the upcoming season.

- NU-OU

- The Osborne Era

- The tunnel walk

- The tailgating

- Tommie Frazier

- The walk-on program

let's see... I know about ne-ou. Although I don't hate some of the ppl that come out of there (Adrian peterson and Phil loadholt). I know pelini is awesome especially compared to Callahan. Not really sure bout game of the century Tommie Frazier or the walk on program. I'll be on here pretty often trying to learn all I can about the huskers and preparing for the upcoming season.

Game of the Century - Played in the early 70's between Oklahoma and NU, both ranked #1 and #2. Google "Game of the Century", click on the link to wikipedia (should be the first one) and read up about the Nebraska vs Oklahoma Game of the Century because it has a few other games listed their as well.

Tommie Frazier - Arguably the greatest Husker quarterback. Not necessarily by ability (although he did break Jerry Tagge's career offense number) but also by leadership on and off the field. Again, I would recommend a good search about him. After the google search, search on youtube for Tommie Frazier's 75 yard run versus Florida in the Fiesta Bowl.

Walk-on program - Nebraska has always loved the walk-on program because it has created some of the greatest football players (in character and ability) that Nebraska has ever seen. Five former walk-ons started in the 1996 Fiesta Bowl that awarded NU the national title.

I know you are looking for more recent things about the Huskers, but IMO there are two videos that all Husker fans should see to understand what this program is all about both in the past and in the present.

(past)

(present)

Is it bad that the first video, about our tradition gets me all choked up everytime I watch it?