A look at the RB position

I think RB recruits will come away impressed with NU this year more than previous years, thinking NU is a little better school than they originally thought. If these kids are team players they should leave saying something similar to Ryan Klachko in that we just have mindset and confidence right now that is through the roof. They should also look at our RB position and realize Watson has said he wants to use a multi back system... with Helu leaving after this year and Heard coming in (hopefully) we're only gonna have 3 quality scholarship players when him and his class get here. Robinson and Burkhead will be Jr's at that time... meaning if these commits redshirt, they'll potentially get a chance to start as soon as his RsFr year... if they are good, hard working, team based players.

OU and Texas take 4* and 5* RB's every year and they typically play 1-2 guys majority of snaps. If our recruits are team players they will see our system, see time to come in early, get some snaps and help the team out, they'll see the fundamentals they're gonna learn that the pros look for, they'll see a team that lacks the same type of depth that UT and OU have at that position, but a team that is also just as apt to win as National Championship in the future as UT or OU.

I wanted to run a comparison of the 3 Big 12 Power Houses' rosters. Rankings are from Rivals.

UT's RB Roster

Vondrell McGee Jr. :star :star :star :star 6.0, #56/Rivals100 2006

Foswhitt Whittaker So. :star :star :star :star 5.8

Jeremy Hills RsFr. :star :star :star :star #196/Rivals250 2008

Cody Johnson So. :star :star :star :star Rivals 250

Chris Whaley HsFr. :star :star :star :star #91/Rivals 100 2009

Tre' Newton RsFr :star :star :star #18 Running Back

Antwan Cobb Jr. :star :star :star 5.6

OU's RB Roster

Jermie Calhoun RsFr. :star :star :star :star :star 6.1 #2 RB in Country 2008

Demarco Murray Jr. :star :star :star :star 6.0 #35/Rivals 100

Brennan Clay HsFr. :star :star :star :star 5.9 #2 All Purpose Back in Country 2010

Roy Finch HsFr. :star :star :star :star 5.9 #4 All Purpose Back in Country 2010

Trey Millard HsFr. :star :star :star :star 5.8 FULLBACK

Jonathan Miller HsFr. :star :star :star :star 5.8 #30 Running Back in Country

Marshall Musil HsFr. :star :star :star 5.7 #49 Athlete in Country

Mossis Madu Jr. :star :star :star 5.6 #45 Athlete in Country

NU's RB Roster

Braylon Heard HsFr :star :star :star :star 5.9 #5 RB in Nation

Rex Burkhead So. :star :star :star :star 5.8 #9 All Purpose Back 2009

Collins Okafor So. :star :star :star 5.7 #27 RB in Nation

Roy Helu Sr. :star :star :star 5.5 #55 RB in the country

Dontrayevous Robinson So. :star :star :star 5.5 #69 RB in Nation

C.J. Zimmer RsFr. :star :star :star 5.5 FULLBACK

Lester Ward So. :star :star 5.4

Austin Jones Jr. NR Running back

Mike Hays Sr. NR FULLBACK

Tyler Legate So. NR FULLBACK

From these lists you can see that OU has 6 4-5* backs, UT has 5 4* backs, and NU has 2 4* backs.

If i'm a recruit and i'm lookin at programs with depth... i'd shy away from OU... stocked with young talent and a new offense. I'd look at UT but then look at what they have done with their RB talent over the past 5-6 years and note that it's not done much, some of these 4* and 5* players they have been getting (not just one but several) are not even getting playing time, are not being developed, and are not standing out.

Then i'd look at NU and see what they are doing, how they could use some help, how i'd have a chance to play, how i'd have a family atmosphere and be around guys who want me to succeed for the better of the team... It's clearly the best choice. :koolaid2:

I think RB recruits will come away impressed with NU this year more than previous years, thinking NU is a little better school than they originally thought. If these kids are team players they should leave saying something similar to Ryan Klachko in that we just have mindset and confidence right now that is through the roof. They should also look at our RB position and realize Watson has said he wants to use a multi back system... with Helu leaving after this year and Heard coming in (hopefully) we're only gonna have 3 quality scholarship players when him and his class get here. Robinson and Burkhead will be Jr's at that time... meaning if these commits redshirt, they'll potentially get a chance to start as soon as his RsFr year... if they are good, hard working, team based players.

OU and Texas take 4* and 5* RB's every year and they typically play 1-2 guys majority of snaps. If our recruits are team players they will see our system, see time to come in early, get some snaps and help the team out, they'll see the fundamentals they're gonna learn that the pros look for, they'll see a team that lacks the same type of depth that UT and OU have at that position, but a team that is also just as apt to win as National Championship in the future as UT or OU.

I wanted to run a comparison of the 3 Big 12 Power Houses' rosters. Rankings are from Rivals.

UT's RB Roster

Vondrell McGee Jr. :star :star :star :star 6.0, #56/Rivals100 2006

Foswhitt Whittaker So. :star :star :star :star 5.8

Jeremy Hills RsFr. :star :star :star :star #196/Rivals250 2008

Cody Johnson So. :star :star :star :star Rivals 250

Chris Whaley HsFr. :star :star :star :star #91/Rivals 100 2009

Tre' Newton RsFr :star :star :star #18 Running Back

Antwan Cobb Jr. :star :star :star 5.6

OU's RB Roster

Jermie Calhoun RsFr. :star :star :star :star :star 6.1 #2 RB in Country 2008

Demarco Murray Jr. :star :star :star :star 6.0 #35/Rivals 100

Brennan Clay HsFr. :star :star :star :star 5.9 #2 All Purpose Back in Country 2010

Roy Finch HsFr. :star :star :star :star 5.9 #4 All Purpose Back in Country 2010

Trey Millard HsFr. :star :star :star :star 5.8 FULLBACK

Jonathan Miller HsFr. :star :star :star :star 5.8 #30 Running Back in Country

Marshall Musil HsFr. :star :star :star 5.7 #49 Athlete in Country

Mossis Madu Jr. :star :star :star 5.6 #45 Athlete in Country

NU's RB Roster

Braylon Heard HsFr :star :star :star :star 5.9 #5 RB in Nation

Rex Burkhead So. :star :star :star :star 5.8 #9 All Purpose Back 2009

Collins Okafor So. :star :star :star 5.7 #27 RB in Nation

Roy Helu Sr. :star :star :star 5.5 #55 RB in the country

Dontrayevous Robinson So. :star :star :star 5.5 #69 RB in Nation

C.J. Zimmer RsFr. :star :star :star 5.5 FULLBACK

Lester Ward So. :star :star 5.4

Austin Jones Jr. NR Running back

Mike Hays Sr. NR FULLBACK

Tyler Legate So. NR FULLBACK

From these lists you can see that OU has 6 4-5* backs, UT has 5 4* backs, and NU has 2 4* backs.

If i'm a recruit and i'm lookin at programs with depth... i'd shy away from OU... stocked with young talent and a new offense. I'd look at UT but then look at what they have done with their RB talent over the past 5-6 years and note that it's not done much, some of these 4* and 5* players they have been getting (not just one but several) are not even getting playing time, are not being developed, and are not standing out.

Then i'd look at NU and see what they are doing, how they could use some help, how i'd have a chance to play, how i'd have a family atmosphere and be around guys who want me to succeed for the better of the team... It's clearly the best choice. :koolaid2:

Good post.

If a player's hs coach has a head on his shoulders he would see that while TX, USC, OU, etc., all have top tier talent, they do not effectively develop all that talent on a consistent basis. Not to say they don't produce NFL players, but if you look at what NU does with less-regarded talent you gotta think that steering your player to NU would be a smart thing to consider for the future of your player.

While I hope that the young man uses the logic on the thread, it is something of a longshot. We have not shown any competence on offense in a while. We hope that changes dramatically yet for all the talk about a power rushing offense, it's to this point just that. Up to this point we are a spread team that lacks an identity on offense. Our defense wins the games that our offense doesn't give away. Do we hope an think that will change this year; you bet. But the young man will likely have some doubts. If he doesn't commit until fall; it is possible we can prove our running game that will showcase his talents in games. If he is going to commit off what the teams have done that are offering him; he's not going to be N. I'd say Oklahoma has the best shot since he seems to see himself as Adrian Petersen. At least we have an "in" with Green having his brother on the roster. Snagging Coe is a long shot and may prevent us from getting Green. It seems he doesn't want to play linebacker so though I hope he falls in love with us on Monday, I don't think he's a likely commit unless we show something very special on the field offensively this fall.

We have not shown any competence on offense in a while.

You mean like early in 2009 and all of the 2008 season? I think people are overreacting to our offensive struggles.

But recruits are highschool kids and their memories are typically short, so the rest of your point I can agree with.

yes, it has been "a while" since the holiday bowl. :LOLtartar

I don't think getting this kid would scare away Aaron Green at all. Aaron is smart... he knows this guy can't cut like him and is not nearly elusive. He also knows NU likes to use multiple, different kinds of backs. He knows that having this guy playing with him would help the team win games. Where Aaron struggles, Coe could fill in greatness and vice versa. Speed, quickness, and elusiveness paired with a guy who has power, muscle, and balance could be dangerous, and would actually make Aaron look better.

I agree almost completely with the OP but a recruit could just as easily look at both OU and Texas and see there are no real leaders/front runners/stars taking hold of the position. It's pretty easy to see that Burkhead and Tray will be leading the way for the next few years at Nebraska.

Yes and no. Here's what I see... say that recruit does look at OU and UT and see's there's no front runner for the position. But who's to say that recruit will be the one who fills it? Several guys who have been rated just as high, raved about just as much if not more, and who have equal athletic ability haven't been able to contribute. So who's to say that recruit will suddenly be the 4* who is better than every other 4*, and the one who will take the starting spot? Especially since none of the others who have been as good out of the gate have taken it. You know what I see here... I see a coaching problem. A problem developing talent past a high school senior, that's what I see. More so with UT than with OU. Murray's gonna lock down OU for another year and the others behind him are good... just not as good because Murray is a beast.

What I see with Nebraska... is that they take 3* backs and 4* backs and develop them into better college backs than the ones who came into other universities ranked higher... that's what I see. So if i'm a 5* back willing to listen, be a team player, and be coached, that means i'm gonna be a 6* or 7* back when I get on the field and shine. NFL next baby...

I agree almost completely with the OP but a recruit could just as easily look at both OU and Texas and see there are no real leaders/front runners/stars taking hold of the position. It's pretty easy to see that Burkhead and Tray will be leading the way for the next few years at Nebraska.

Yes and no. Here's what I see... say that recruit does look at OU and UT and see's there's no front runner for the position. But who's to say that recruit will be the one who fills it? Several guys who have been rated just as high, raved about just as much if not more, and who have equal athletic ability haven't been able to contribute. So who's to say that recruit will suddenly be the 4* who is better than every other 4*, and the one who will take the starting spot? Especially since none of the others who have been as good out of the gate have taken it. You know what I see here... I see a coaching problem. A problem developing talent past a high school senior, that's what I see. More so with UT than with OU. Murray's gonna lock down OU for another year and the others behind him are good... just not as good because Murray is a beast.

What I see with Nebraska... is that they take 3* backs and 4* backs and develop them into better college backs than the ones who came into other universities ranked higher... that's what I see. So if i'm a 5* back willing to listen, be a team player, and be coached, that means i'm gonna be a 6* or 7* back when I get on the field and shine. NFL next baby...

Well, high school kids with offers to OU and Texas usually don't have confidence issues. I would guarantee every single one of these guys sees it as a heck of an opportunity and sure as hell says doesn't think there are "coaching problems" at OU or Texas.....I mean neither of those schools have any RBs in the NFL :sarcasm

I just think it's a bad idea to assume we know what Green or any other recruit is thinking. Nobody really knows whether he's "disappointed" in Texas right now. Best to wait and see what happens than make assumptions on things we have no way of knowing.

It's the offseason. Without speculation this place would be more boring than church.

I think the X factor for our Running Backs this year is Braylon Heard. Let's assume Heard actually makes his test score and is successfully admitted to UNL. Well, the chatter with Heard is that we may have gotten a real, real good one, from what I hear. Now, Pelini's MO with players has always been to let the best rise to the top.

I'm assuming Pelini would rather not play Braylon and redshirt him this year, but if he is as good as we are hearing, who knows? If we did RS him, he'd be a RS frosh next year with Juniors Burkhead and Robinson ahead of him (assuming neither of those RS themselves; Tray seems the more likely of the two to RS, but I do not think he will). But if Braylon is good enough, he may see playing time this year. If he does, we have FOUR quality running backs this year (Well, more like 3 1/2- Roy probably will miss a few games, as usual). And we have three guys I didn't even mention- Austin Jones, Ward, and Okafor. Scout also lists Jeremy Wallace out of Omaha and Zach Taylor out of Lincoln-- both walk ons. We could really do special things on the ground this year, if we could improve O Line play.

Our RB eligibility stacks up like this:

(Final Year)

2010: Helu

2011: Jones

2012: Burkhead, Tray, Okafor, Wallace, Ward

2013: None

2014: Heard (assuming RS), Zach Taylor

With that being said, we really are quite deep at running back. But it is always smart to have your eyes on the future, and our coaches know this. With that being said, we have several quality prospects in this class at running back. I'm sure the first and foremost in all of your minds is Aaron Green, but there is more to this class than him. One prospect I'd really like to lock up personally would be Rob Standard out of MO. He has lightning quicks and rushed for impressive numbers last year. But both he and Green are smaller scat backs. Also, we all know Rodney Coe is making his visit today, but how serious his interest is remains to be seen yet. Who knows if this is just a token visit? Perhaps not. Also, some probably feel Dagan Reed deserves a shout out, and I would LOVE to have him, but I think it's been said that Bo wants him as a safety, not RB.

I just think it's a bad idea to assume we know what Green or any other recruit is thinking. Nobody really knows whether he's "disappointed" in Texas right now. Best to wait and see what happens than make assumptions on things we have no way of knowing.

It's the offseason. Without speculation this place would be more boring than church.

Totally agree but comments like "I think he's disappointed in Texas" are completely ridiculous. That is the same as saying.....AG really likes the smell of Bo's s**t so he's leaning towards NU.

I think the X factor for our Running Backs this year is Braylon Heard. Let's assume Heard actually makes his test score and is successfully admitted to UNL. Well, the chatter with Heard is that we may have gotten a real, real good one, from what I hear. Now, Pelini's MO with players has always been to let the best rise to the top.

I'm assuming Pelini would rather not play Braylon and redshirt him this year, but if he is as good as we are hearing, who knows? If we did RS him, he'd be a RS frosh next year with Juniors Burkhead and Robinson ahead of him (assuming neither of those RS themselves; Tray seems the more likely of the two to RS, but I do not think he will). But if Braylon is good enough, he may see playing time this year. If he does, we have FOUR quality running backs this year (Well, more like 3 1/2- Roy probably will miss a few games, as usual). And we have three guys I didn't even mention- Austin Jones, Ward, and Okafor. Scout also lists Jeremy Wallace out of Omaha and Zach Taylor out of Lincoln-- both walk ons. We could really do special things on the ground this year, if we could improve O Line play.

(Final Year)

With that being said, we really are quite deep at running back. But it is always smart to have your eyes on the future, and our coaches know this. With that being said, we have several quality prospects in this class at running back. I'm sure the first and foremost in all of your minds is Aaron Green, but there is more to this class than him. One prospect I'd really like to lock up personally would be Rob Standard out of MO. He has lightning quicks and rushed for impressive numbers last year. But both he and Green are smaller scat backs. Also, we all know Rodney Coe is making his visit today, but how serious his interest is remains to be seen yet. Who knows if this is just a token visit? Perhaps not. Also, some probably feel Dagan Reed deserves a shout out, and I would LOVE to have him, but I think it's been said that Bo wants him as a safety, not RB.

Good post. Despite the current depth at RB, a recruit can also look at the roster to see that after the 2012 class graduates....WE ARE WIDE OPEN. I'd look at this as a major opportunity considering we are discussing the 2011 recruiting class.

By the way, Dagan Reed at safety would be so much fun to watch....

(Final Year)

Good post. Despite the current depth at RB, a recruit can also look at the roster to see that after the 2012 class graduates....WE ARE WIDE OPEN. I'd look at this as a major opportunity considering we are discussing the 2011 recruiting class.

By the way, Dagan Reed at safety would be so much fun to watch....

:thumbs