***European Soccer Thread***

Higuain May Need Back Surgery

Catalan sports daily El Mundo Deportivo reported that club doctors fear that it is more than simple lower back pain while Spanish newspaper Marca claimed that Higuain may need surgery.

It's feared that the Argentine striker is suffering from a herniated disc. Higuain failed a late fitness test ahead of El Clasico and did not feature in the 5-0 defeat.

Mourinho Banned 2 Games; Ramos and Xabi Alonso Fined $20,000 For Champions League Antics

Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho has been given a 2 match suspension by UEFA for improper conduct following his instructions to Sergio Ramos and Xabi Alonso to deliberately pick up red cards against Ajax in last week's Champions League clash.

The second of these matches has been deferred for a period of three years, and he has also been fined $40,000.

Meanwhile, Xabi Alonso and Sergio Ramos were each fined $20,000 and their 1 match bans for receiving red cards were upheld.

Iker Casillas was fined $10,000 and Jerzy Dudek $5,000 for passing on the message from Mourinho to Alonso and Ramos.

UEFA's Control and Disciplinary Body has also decided to fine Real Madrid CF $120,000.

Ibrahimovic Tells Unhappy Balotelli To Join AC Milan

"Mario is a great footballer and he has shown he is intelligent, it would be nice for us to play together again," Ibrahimovic told Chi magazine in response to Balotelli's wish to play with him.

"Milan is a fantastic club from every aspect and everyone puts heart and soul into their work."

"I am honored to be part of this group and Milan could be my last club."

Liverpool To Bid For CSKA Moscow Star Keisuke Honda In January

Liverpool are considering a bid for Japanese star Keisuke Honda, who is thought to be available in the winter transfer window after suggesting he wants to leave CSKA Moscow.

Sankei Sports reports that a CSKA director has said of the situation: "We will not lock our players in. If the bid is fair, we respect the players' will."

This comes after Honda's agent, Kees Ploegsma, told Sport.co.uk: "When a big club comes in he will want to leave but at the moment that has not happened."

Carragher To Have Shoulder Surgery; Out For 3 Months

"I'll be having surgery at the end of the week," Carragher told Liverpool's official website. "The average is about 12 weeks. I'd like to come back before that but I've got to make sure it's right. It will probably be late February or early March when I'm looking to come back."

"It's difficult for me when I'm injured. It hasn't happened very often, and I'm very lucky with that I suppose, but maybe it's caught up with me a little bit now."

"I've been here before with a broken leg which put me out this length of time. It's not easy but you've got to get on with it, and it makes you more determined to get back."

"I'm sure towards the end of the season when people are maybe feeling a little bit tired I'll be raring to go."

Manchester United Targeting Schalke Goalkeeper Manuel Neuer

United may have to pay around $15 million for Germany's No.1 keeper, whose contract runs until 2012. The 24-year-old stopper is likely to leave Schalke after his side's 5-0 defeat to Kaiserslauten at the weekend prompted him to suggest relegation was in the future. United have been looking for a replacement for Van der Sar who turned 40 in October.

Inter Preparing Offer For Antonio Cassano

Inter are preparing to offer Sampdoria star Antonio Cassano a contract until 2013 worth $4 million per season, according to Italian newspaper La Repubblica. The 28 year old is no longer wanted by Sampdoria after engaging in a fight with the club's president Riccardo Garrone following his refusal to attend an awards ceremony. The case goes to arbitration on December 3 and only after it is resolved can negotiations begin to take place.

Rafael Benitez On Hot Seat After Upset To Lazio

Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport claims president Massimo Moratti, who has been widely supportive of the Spaniard, is looking at alternatives. Moratti will use the upcoming Club World Cup as the deciding factor to measure his coach. Failure in Abu Dhabi could mean the end of Benitez' reign as head coach.

Kaka Trains For First Time Since Undergoing Surgery In August

A statement from Real Madrid's official website: "Under the watchful eye of Real Madrid’s medical services and fitness trainer Carlos Lalin, Kaka has begun proprioception work and strength and speed training with the goal of building up stamina and proceeding to the next stage of his recovery."

"He did not feel any discomfort while performing turning, speed and stamina drills. Kaka was congratulated by several of his team-mates and coaches, who know the player is one step closer to returning to the field of play."

Kaka is expected to return to match fitness by 2011.