Callahan is better than Solich

I like comparing the NU coaches to Star Trek Characters:

The Bobfather = Captain Kirk. A very firy dynamic leader.

TO = Captain Picard. Not so dynamic as Kirk, but a very steady leader.

Frank = Captain Janeway. Who cares, it’s not Kirk or Picard.

Billy C. He doesn’t remind me so much of a Captain as he does Cyrano Jones from episode 42 “The Trouble with Tribbles”. He was the one that sold all of the crew members the cute little Tribbles, that soon came close to ruining the ship. Billy C. = Cyrano Jones, WCO = Tribbles

:steam

Frank was fired for one reason and one reason alone. He failed to do what his boss told him to do. The number one thing in college football is recruiting. He was told over and over to focus on recuriting. Pederson did not care about upgrading the staff, he wanted a recruiter to bring in the talent. Frank felt wins were more important than recruiting. Franks main erro was misjuding his bosses desires.

If you go to the Ohio Boards you will hear how Frank is recruiting year around now. How they are using him as a recruiting tool. Frank learned his lesson I think. But he was just to stubborn to do what he was told. Many boosters wanted Frank gone for the very same reason. Embarassment at Texas, Kansas State and Missouri only deepend the gap between the big buck boosters and Frank. Had he put together a class like BC brought in he would have kept his job. Sales is the life blood of any business. He just did not comprehend that.

And that is why pederson will be fired in 5 years or less. Wins is what its all about not recruiting. Recruiting is like being preseason favorites, it don't mean jack. Frank had a great young staff that he surrounded himself with and they were good recruiters and most importantly great coaches. The pelini's,cotton,gill,sanders,brown.....these guys could coach and had energy. And most importanly they bleed big red. These coaches we got now didn't even know what the big red was before coming here hardly.

do i think BC is better than FS, nope. im not saying that FS was the man, but i dont think BC is either. i know im not alone in saying that i had some serious jokes cracked at me about being a huskers fan when FS was fired and then more of the same when his super human replacement was named........... i personally dont think FS needed canned yet and also dont think that BC is a vast improvement from him either, based on his past sucess with players and last season included. sure they can recruit, but can the implement those players? thats what i want to see.

Captain Kirk Posted on Aug 25 2005, 07:47 PM

I like comparing the NU coaches to Star Trek Characters:

The Bobfather = Captain Kirk. A very firy dynamic leader.

TO = Captain Picard. Not so dynamic as Kirk, but a very steady leader.

Frank = Captain Janeway. Who cares, it’s not Kirk or Picard.

Billy C. He doesn’t remind me so much of a Captain as he does Cyrano Jones from episode 42 “The Trouble with Tribbles”. He was the one that sold all of the crew members the cute little Tribbles, that soon came close to ruining the ship. Billy C. = Cyrano Jones, WCO = Tribbles

possibly one of those namless crew members that get wacked when they land on the strange planet.........

While FS did have 9 wins his last season, its not like SP woke up one morning and decided he'd fire Solich. While I don't necessarily agree with the way it went down and I felt the search for a new HC definately could have been handled better I do agree that it was time for a change.

FS inherited a strong program with the players he needed to win games. Once those players left, the team started losing. I personally feel that another reason the win column got emptier was due to the loss of Charlie McBride. He was the fire and brimstone guy that got players fired up, and he was a tremedous Defensive Coordinator. Bohl couldn't get it done and FS wasn't the kind of guy who could get players ready to run through a wall for him. Pelini could do that, but there were other areas of concern in the program.

One area of concern was who NU was losing to. When we stepped on the field against the conference elite we weren't comptitive, even with the new coaches. It was under Solich's guidance that we began losing to the mediocre teams in the conference such as MU and ISU. That's not a place NU belongs. It seems unreasonable to me to believe that someone who inherited a program as stong as Nebraska was in the late 90's and sent it into a tailspin would be able to turn it back around again. I personally believe that it is easier to sustain success than it is to rebuild. It's not like FS was faced with catastrophic injuries or losses of personnel, he just couldn't do it in terms of coaching or recruiting.

As has been mentioned before, recruiting had also suffered. My little brother is a pretty decent sprinter and spent some time last spring working with Charlie Green. Another kid who was there was an offensive lineman named Zach Coppel. He was from southeast and is currently playing football for Harvard. According to his dad, when he was being recruited by NU he would receive messages on his phone from our coaching staff wishing good luck to another player they were recruiting. They'd then call back and apologize for being confused about who they had called. They'd also call to wish him good luck in his upcoming game against say Creighton Prep, only to realize they were playing someone else that week. IMO there was sufficient evidence to believe that not only was there not enough emphasis on recruiting, but that at times the staff's effort was less than competent.

As has been discussed in other threads, to be successful you need both the players and the coaches to get it done. It seems to me that Solich was lacking in both departments. It's too bad, as I would like to have seen Solich succeed, but it wasn't happening.

As for BC, he hasn't proven himself yet on the coaching side of things, but he has done very well so far in recruiting. Whether he's the solution or not remains to be seen, but at least SP didn't stay on the ship I personally feel was sinking...just my humble opinion.

The real question should be the whole coaching change. When Solich was fired, Nutt was Pud's first choice. Let's look at Nutt's background. Nutt has been the HC at Arkansas for I believe 8 seasons. His starting QB which I realize wasn't drafted as a QB went in I believe the first round. His team last season went 5-6, and they didn't make a bowl game. His only claim to fame was beating Texas in 2003. I would really like to know how Nutt would have made NU better?

Nutt is thought to be a good recruiter. BC is thought to be a good recruiter. Hands down, I think BC is probably the better recruiter. However, we must all remember that BC wasn't the first choice.

Pud seems more concerned about recruiting. However, isn't it wins and losses that define a coaches career not outstanding recruits? Look at Mack Brown. If he continues to lose to OU, he'll always be thought of as an outstanding recruiter but a poor coach. I'm not sure why Pud is more focused on recruiting than a coach that can get it done.

On the flip side, Urban Meyer is a great coach. However, none of us know whether or not he can recruit because he always leaves the program before a lot of his recruits become upper classmen. I believe he will have instant success at Florida because Zook left him loaded with talent. Florida is a big enough name that I'm not sure he'll be able to leave after 3 or 4 years before his recruits get up there. Time will tell on Meyer as time will tell on BC.

I may be wrong, but if we're going to go with the if's and but's we should probably say Steve Spurrier was the 1st choice because there were all kinds of rumors flying about right after Solich was fired. When I say Nutt was the first choice, I choose to stick to some kind of facts. I believe Nutt was the first one interviewed and given a shot at the job. We don't really know why Nutt didn't take the job, but a lot of people myself included believe he used it as a bartering chip with Arkansas to get a pay raise.

Had Nutt accepted the job, we wouldn't even be discussing whether or not BC or Nutt was the first choice. IMO, Pud didn't really have much of a plan when Solich was fired. This is one of the biggest reasons so many people are still ticked off over the whole situation. Notre Dame was kind of in the same boat except they did have a clear first choice. The only difference was their first choice accepted the Florida job instead of going to ND.

Again, I don't know whether or not I'm wrong. I just know that Nutt was the first one who was given the opportunity to coach the Huskers.

Incorrect,

Wanstadt was the first to be offered, but then was retained. That was the initail plan by SP. He had confirmation as most felt Wanstadt would be fired by Miami.

Urban Meyers was a consideration, but he had no interest in Nebraska. Most top coaches had no interest in Nebraska... Too much preasure to win, firing a 9-3 coach, talent considered to be mid to low level in the Big 12. No matter what our thoughts of this program at that time, we were not considered to have the talent to compete with top 25 teams. We are lucky to have gotten the level of coaches we got. Who knows if they are good enought to return us to power, but they are what we have and we need to endorse them until they have proven they can or can not do the job. Way to early to tell either way.

Incorrect,

Wanstadt was the first to be offered, but then was retained. That was the initail plan by SP. He had confirmation as most felt Wanstadt would be fired by Miami.

Urban Meyers was a consideration, but he had no interest in Nebraska. Most top coaches had no interest in Nebraska... Too much preasure to win, firing a 9-3 coach, talent considered to be mid to low level in the Big 12. No matter what our thoughts of this program at that time, we were not considered to have the talent to compete with top 25 teams. We are lucky to have gotten the level of coaches we got. Who knows if they are good enought to return us to power, but they are what we have and we need to endorse them until they have proven they can or can not do the job. Way to early to tell either way.

Gotcha skersfan about Wannstedt. I remember hearing his name mentioned, but this was so long ago that I couldn't remember the details.

Agreed, we are fortunate to have the quality coaches we have. I believe they will be returning us to power.