New Big 12

godd2

I havent noticed much talk about this on here but maybe i am missing it. I live in KC so it is always on the radio. If mizzou leaves, will the big 12 go on without another team? this will eliminate the champtionship game..what if colorado goes Pac 10....

the radio here is always whining about NU and the texas schools getting all the money...

any ideas?

Here's my take on how Big10 and PAC10 conference expansion will play out.

Big10: Notre Dame finally accepts invite and joins the Big10. I think a lot of the postering going on is to reach acceptable conditions for ND fans and alumini so that they finally swallow the pill and join. If that can't be done, I think the Big10s second choice after ND is Rutgers. That's really bad news for an already weakened Big East. I think Missouri is a distant third choice even though the Tigers want desperately to join the Big10 and get a piece of the action (Big10 TV contract). I just think Rutgers market share in NJ is a lot more attractive than KC/St. Louis. Academically (which is very important to the Big10), I think either school would be acceptable. Boths schools have their academic strong points.

PAC10: Colorado is gone. If given the choice, the Buffs would choose the PAC10 over the Big12 and they are the PAC10's first choice. Utah will be the other school to be offered a PAC10 invitation. The Utes will accept on the condition that...

Big12: BYU gets offered an invitation to take Colorado's spot in the Big12.

MWC and WAC undergo some type of merger.

I also see the PAC10 and Big12 working together on a combined TV contract. Neither conference by itself has enough market share to get what the Big10 and SEC get from their TV contracts. Perhaps the PAC10 and Big12 negotiating toghether could get a better deal than either conference could get individually. That could also lead to additional bowl games between the two conferences and take some sting out of the Colorado for BYU swap which isn't an even trade from a market share and TV revenue standpoint even though BYU's major sports programs have been more competative than CU's have been the last few years.

Notre Dame is not going to the Big 10 they have a sweetheart deal set up as it is. Look were they ranked as far as revenue when their school was losing it gets ridiculous when the team is decent or good. The BCS set up they have is awesome as well. They aren't going anywhere. It will be a Big East team just due to the available media market. NU has great fans we all know it but as far as radio and TV go we don't come close in Omaha or Lincoln much more any other city to a top media market The lowest rank market in the Big East is Syracuse and we are 20 spots behind them.

Why BYU when the Big 12 could take TCU or Houston?

The only reason I could see BYU is because we already have the Texas market covered, because Houston and TCU don't bring much by way of fans and whatnot. But I think Utah would be first due to the Salt Lake City market.

The thing you have to remember is, it's not simply the size of the market a team is in. Rutgers blows most markets away, but they don't command viewership like other teams, which is why they're not mentioned as a lock for the Big 10 to target. Same goes for Missouri - Kansas City and St. Louis are large markets but viewership of Missouri games hasn't historically been huge.

The thing you have to remember is, it's not simply the size of the market a team is in. Rutgers blows most markets away, but they don't command viewership like other teams, which is why they're not mentioned as a lock for the Big 10 to target. Same goes for Missouri - Kansas City and St. Louis are large markets but viewership of Missouri games hasn't historically been huge.

True, but there aren't any pro teams in Utah that play football. Unless they get the other UFL team this year. Plus there's a lot of Mormons in the world :lol:

True, but there aren't any pro teams in Utah that play football. Unless they get the other UFL team this year. Plus there's a lot of Mormons in the world :lol:

You just went there..... :LOLtartar:laughpound:facepalm:

Here's my take on how Big10 and PAC10 conference expansion will play out.

Big10: Notre Dame finally accepts invite and joins the Big10. I think a lot of the postering going on is to reach acceptable conditions for ND fans and alumini so that they finally swallow the pill and join. If that can't be done, I think the Big10s second choice after ND is Rutgers. That's really bad news for an already weakened Big East. I think Missouri is a distant third choice even though the Tigers want desperately to join the Big10 and get a piece of the action (Big10 TV contract). I just think Rutgers market share in NJ is a lot more attractive than KC/St. Louis. Academically (which is very important to the Big10), I think either school would be acceptable. Boths schools have their academic strong points.

PAC10: Colorado is gone. If given the choice, the Buffs would choose the PAC10 over the Big12 and they are the PAC10's first choice. Utah will be the other school to be offered a PAC10 invitation. The Utes will accept on the condition that...

MWC and WAC undergo some type of merger.

I also see the PAC10 and Big12 working together on a combined TV contract. Neither conference by itself has enough market share to get what the Big10 and SEC get from their TV contracts. Perhaps the PAC10 and Big12 negotiating toghether could get a better deal than either conference could get individually. That could also lead to additional bowl games between the two conferences and take some sting out of the Colorado for BYU swap which isn't an even trade from a market share and TV revenue standpoint even though BYU's major sports programs have been more competative than CU's have been the last few years.

This would be AWFUL!!! I don't see how they could just throw away the great rivalry that we have with them that they always seem to be talking about. insertsarcasm.gif

• Fire 1

Why BYU when the Big 12 could take TCU or Houston?

The only reason I could see BYU is because we already have the Texas market covered, because Houston and TCU don't bring much by way of fans and whatnot. But I think Utah would be first due to the Salt Lake City market.

TCU is becoming quite popular down here. Fort Worth and even a few Dallas folk have started to adopt the Frogs. Plus the Big 12 would be adding a school that actually is IN DFW marketplace...........Texas has a stranglehold on the Metroplex and bringing in the Frogs would help the exposure of the out of state schools of the Big 12 North. Not to mention recruiting. How many times does Nebraska play in Dallas a year? ZERO. Yet, you recruit the hell out of the area so why not have a game there every other year?

In a recent blog the other day that I posted about the Big 10 expansion, the guy who wrote it said that Mizzou to the Big 10 doesn't really add more TV sets since the Big 10 network is already available to the St. Louis metropolitan area.

Maybe frodaddy can confirm or deny this? :dunno

In a recent blog the other day that I posted about the Big 10 expansion, the guy who wrote it said that Mizzou to the Big 10 doesn't really add more TV sets since the Big 10 network is already available to the St. Louis metropolitan area.

just because a network is in a market doesn't mean people are watching it. missourians would probably watch it a lot more (with or without mizzou playing) if mizzou was in the big 11.

just because a network is in a market doesn't mean people are watching it. missourians would probably watch is a lot more (with or without mizzou playing) is mizzou was in the big 11.

I understand that, I was just curious if the Big 10 network is in fact available to that area?

just because a network is in a market doesn't mean people are watching it. missourians would probably watch is a lot more (with or without mizzou playing) is mizzou was in the big 11.

I understand that, I was just curious if the Big 10 network is in fact available to that area?

oh. well on a different matter. am i the only one who would hate to see mizzou leave? i love to hate them, and we have had some magical moments with them. same goes to colorado. i love the big XII and hate to see it change. can't the pac-10 just pick up boise st, or byu and the big 11 just pick up notre dame or 'cuse and leave everything else the same?