Potential Big 10 pods

All rivalry games can be protected by having you pair with one pod to form a division and allowing the 8th conference game be played against a protected rival. Correct pod formations like I've noted above will keep all protected rivalry games intact. It also opens up new match-ups to be created.

Penn State - Ohio State would be protected

Nebraska - Missouri would be protected

Michigan - Michigan State would be protected

This holds onto 6 teams out of 16, meaning you can form 5 more protected match-ups and create even more rivalries for the future. There will undoubtedly be very little expansion after this for a long time.

Ohio St/Michigan > Ohio St./Penn St.

According to the majority of Big 10 fans that have seen Dienhart's division breakdown. Of all the scenarios listed they want to make sure that Ohio St/Michigan is a protected rivalry game more than any other game within the Big 10.

They will be placed in a subdivision with Michigan, meaning that they will play every year. One of your two protected rivals must be in your pod to make this system work out. With the games I've listed it covers all current rivalries in any given year in a 7 game + 1 protected format.

Gotcha

I would be surprised if they set up a division with consideration to a Nebraska/Missouri "rivalry." Much like Indiana and Illinois - they just play every year, it's not like it's some huge rivalry. Nebraska and Missouri could easily move to separate divisions and not miss too much.

All rivalry games can be protected by having you pair with one pod to form a division and allowing the 8th conference game be played against a protected rival. Correct pod formations like I've noted above will keep all protected rivalry games intact. It also opens up new match-ups to be created.

This holds onto 6 teams out of 16, meaning you can form 5 more protected match-ups and create even more rivalries for the future. There will undoubtedly be very little expansion after this for a long time.

Keep in mind that travel costs figure prominently into division/pod assignments. Nebraska and Pitt are not going to want to play every year due to the cost of travel.

I have a feeling travel costs will come out of the Television revenue with a cap on spending to ensure that people are not abusing it. There is no adequate way to add the Big East teams, protect the tradition and ensure that all geographical pairings are optimal. Maybe something like $XXXXXX to any away team travelling over YYYYY number of miles.

Keep in mind that travel costs figure prominently into division/pod assignments. Nebraska and Pitt are not going to want to play every year due to the cost of travel.

I have a feeling travel costs will come out of the Television revenue with a cap on spending to ensure that people are not abusing it. There is no adequate way to add the Big East teams, protect the tradition and ensure that all geographical pairings are optimal. Maybe something like $XXXXXX to any away team travelling over YYYYY number of miles.

Agree that no set is optimal. But I think travel costs will trump a few of the "lesser" rivalries; even if the conference pays for it, that's money out of everyone's pocket. The B10 will have to make a few sacrifices to make this happen.

Agree that no set is optimal. But I think travel costs will trump a few of the "lesser" rivalries; even if the conference pays for it, that's money out of everyone's pocket. The B10 will have to make a few sacrifices to make this happen.

While we're talking travel costs, here's our mileage breakdown to each venue from closest to furthest using the shortest route suggested by Google Maps. This assumes Mizzou, Syracuse, Pitt and Rutgers in the big 10.

Iowa City, IA. = 301 mi. (4hrs 57mins)

Columbia, MO. = 324 mi. (5hrs 21 mins)

Minneapolis, MN. = 433 mi. (6hrs 54 mins)

Madison, WI. = 495 mi. (8hrs 2mins)

Champaign, IL. = 524 mi. (8hrs 36mins)

Evanston, IL. = 527 mi. (8hrs 40mins)

West Lafayette, IN. = 624 mi. (10hrs 4mins)

Bloomington, IN. = 637 mi. (11hrs. 5 mins)

Lansing, MI. = 722 mi. (11hrs 22mins)

Ann Arbor, MI. = 746 mi. (11hrs 59mins)

Columbus, OH. = 823 mi. (13hrs 23mins)

Pittsburgh, PA. = 966 mi. (15hrs 50mins)

University Park, PA. = 1,072 mi. (17hrs 31mins)

Syracuse, NY. = 1,182 mi. (18hrs 55mins)

Piscataway, NJ = 1,303 mi. (21hrs 11mins)

Total = 10,679 mi.

• Fire 1

Bah - have done it in 4 hrs and 10 mins when running late for a game :)

I just hope that when Nebraska finally does join the Big 10 it doesn't correspond with another of Iowa's nosedive seasons that we seem to get every few years. Would stink to finally play you guys on a regular basis only to get demolished the first few seasons.

We have already claimed this as Kinnick North so you guys will have to claim Ill or NW as Big Red East!

I just hope that when Nebraska finally does join the Big 10 it doesn't correspond with another of Iowa's nosedive seasons that we seem to get every few years. Would stink to finally play you guys on a regular basis only to get demolished the first few seasons.

We have already claimed this as Kinnick North so you guys will have to claim Ill or NW as Big Red East!

BTW, welcome to HuskerBoard. Enjoy your stay. :thumbs

Thanks! Been reading it for a while now. Living here I want to be able to know what is going on with the team so that I can take part in intelligent conversation with friends and co-workers. Now that there is Big 10 talk going on here I figured I could actually contribute a little bit rather than just lurk :)

I have been joking with my family that instead of rooting for Nebraska to win once or twice a year I would now have to root for them to win 7-8 times a year since most Big 10 fans cheer for other Big 10 teams in non-conference games. I hope Nebraska fans (and any fans of teams that join the conference for that matter) take up this attitude. It always baffles me to hear Nebraska fans rooting against Colorado in non-conference matchups. I mean, I HATE Michigan with a passion but I still root for them in every single non-conference matchup since it can only improve the conferences perception to have them winning against outside competition.

Quite a bit of talk on the Hawk forum this morning about Nebraska and being able to easily see it becomming one of our top 2 favorite rivalry games within a few years assuming that we don't tank in the near future and Nebraska fans look at it the same way.

Thanks! Been reading it for a while now. Living here I want to be able to know what is going on with the team so that I can take part in intelligent conversation with friends and co-workers. Now that there is Big 10 talk going on here I figured I could actually contribute a little bit rather than just lurk :)

I have been joking with my family that instead of rooting for Nebraska to win once or twice a year I would now have to root for them to win 7-8 times a year since most Big 10 fans cheer for other Big 10 teams in non-conference games. I hope Nebraska fans (and any fans of teams that join the conference for that matter) take up this attitude. It always baffles me to hear Nebraska fans rooting against Colorado in non-conference matchups. I mean, I HATE Michigan with a passion but I still root for them in every single non-conference matchup since it can only improve the conferences perception to have them winning against outside competition.

Quite a bit of talk on the Hawk forum this morning about Nebraska and being able to easily see it becomming one of our top 2 favorite rivalry games within a few years assuming that we don't tank in the near future and Nebraska fans look at it the same way.

I'm with you on the conference loyalty thing. Maybe not as much as you to a certain degree, but I usually cheer for the Big 12 during bowl season for the same reasons you cited. To improve our conferences perception.

Best of luck to your Hawkeyes this season.

I'm with you on the conference loyalty thing. Maybe not as much as you to a certain degree, but I usually cheer for the Big 12 during bowl season for the same reasons you cited. To improve our conferences perception.

Best of luck to your Hawkeyes this season.

I pull for every Big 12 team besides Missouri. I wouldn't care if they went 0-12 every year.

We have actually been really frustrated that Iowa and Nebraska travel so well to bowl games because until last year there were something like 3 years in a row that the Alamo bowl matchup should have been Iowa/Nebraska but one or both teams got picked higher due to awesome fans. I have been wanting to play when we were both good ever since we played during our 2 worst seasons in my lifetime. Both teams are longshots at making the MNC game this year though so I am holding out hope for an Iowa/Nebraksa game down in Arizona!

We are gonna claim Kinnick as Memorial Stadium East.

Iowa-Nebraska game could be called the I-80 Showdown, "ding, ding, lets get it on."

Welcome to the board, hope you stick around awhile.

obviously it will be:

Pod 1

Penn State/Michigan State/Pitt/Michigan/Ohio State/Syracuse/Rutgers/Iowa/Wisconsin/Minnesota/Illinois/Northwestern/Indiana/Purdue

Pod 2

Nebraska/Missouri who will play ever week until the conference championship where the one with the best record will play the best team from pod 1.

Why do we assume there will be pods? Why not just have the two best teams play in the championship game?

Exactly what i was wondering, I would be satsified 2 division 8 teams each. Play the teams in your division, then play 1 or 2 out of your division every year on a rotating schedule. Then the winners of the divisions play in the Championship game.

I guess im just trying the simplfy things.