Bo on Big 10 speculation

The Bo Pelini Foundation Celebrity Golf Tournament is going on at Wilderness Ridge Golf Course as I type. About 160 participants are on hand for an event that is hoped to raise about $100,000 for the foundation.

I'll have more on the event later.

Pelini spent about 10 minutes talking to the media before everyone teed off.

The Husker coach was asked about the swirling conference realignment talk and any speculation about Nebraska possibly one day joining the Big Ten.

What were his thoughts on it?

"Not much," Pelini said. "I'm not real concerned with any of that. That's for the administration. We'll see how it goes. I really have no idea where it is, where it's going. All I'm concerned with is the here and now. I'm ready for the season coming up, that's the only thing I'm concerned about.

"I think it remains to be seen what's in the best interest. But I know Coach Osborne and Chancellor Perlman and the rest of the administration will make the best decision for the University of Nebraska. I think there are a lot of unknowns right now. I think there's a lot of speculation, but I don't think a lot of people really know what's going on."

I did watch Bo Pelini take a few practice swings. Not that he needs the approval of a guy who scores in the high 80s to low 90s, but the left-hander was looking solid enough with the irons on the practice tees. Ndamukong Suh and Larry The Cable Guy weren't quite as sharp.

Fortunately, Suh had Neil Smith nearby to offer any swing tips.

As for Pelini, he might end up doing more heckling today than playing.

"Unfortunately, I'll get a couple swings in, but that's about it," Pelini said. "I'm not really playing in the event today, just kind of going around and get a chance to meet everybody -- maybe hit a shot with each group or something."

LINK

Bo could very easily have put the kibosh on Nebraska moving by saying something like, "That's not happening. We're staying in the Big 12." If we're not doing anything along the lines of moving around, there's no reason to say something like, "I know Coach Osborne and Chancellor Perlman and the rest of the administration will make the best decision for the University of Nebraska."

That tells me there's a decision to be made, and that decision is, do we stay or do we go?

Bo could very easily have put the kibosh on Nebraska moving by saying something like, "That's not happening. We're staying in the Big 12." If we're not doing anything along the lines of moving around, there's no reason to say something like, "I know Coach Osborne and Chancellor Perlman and the rest of the administration will make the best decision for the University of Nebraska."

That tells me there's a decision to be made, and that decision is, do we stay or do we go?

Did you read the article in OWH a week or so ago about Perlman's thoughts on the move? There were a few clues in that article that hinted that we've already been in contact with the Big 10. They're just playing it as close to the vest as they can because they have to for legal reasons.

I think this would be the response regardless as it wouldn't be his place to throw that kind of info out there, unless it had already been stated by the AD or Chancellor.

Did you read the article in OWH a week or so ago about Perlman's thoughts on the move? There were a few clues in that article that hinted that we've already been in contact with the Big 10. They're just playing it as close to the vest as they can because they have to for legal reasons.

Yep. I think there's a LOT going on behind the scenes right now. I'm usually one to squash rumors and all, but there have been enough open-ended or telling statements that I think it's far more likely that something's going on with Nebraska than not.

When this talk all started up a month or two ago, way before Nebraska was ever mentioned as a candidate to move to another conference, either TO or Perlman came out and said that we would not be caught unaware. Maybe that was at the Volleyball Banquet and it was in TO's speech. It kind of pricked my ears up at that point, and ever since, I've heard nothing that convinces me that we're staying in the Big 12.

Yep. I think there's a LOT going on behind the scenes right now. I'm usually one to squash rumors and all, but there have been enough open-ended or telling statements that I think it's far more likely that something's going on with Nebraska than not.

When this talk all started up a month or two ago, way before Nebraska was ever mentioned as a candidate to move to another conference, either TO or Perlman came out and said that we would not be caught unaware. Maybe that was at the Volleyball Banquet and it was in TO's speech. It kind of pricked my ears up at that point, and ever since, I've heard nothing that convinces me that we're staying in the Big 12.

The Big 12 brass have been awfully quiet since the smoke has been fanned the past couple of weeks by certain sports journalists. In a way that might be telling as well?

If you had to shoot a percentage right now on the odds of ending up in the Big 10, what would the number be??

Just curious ..

I'll bite.

70/30

That's a fair guess. I'm a pessimist, but I'll still say 60/40. This rumor is easy to quash by anybody in Nebraska's administration, and to date we've heard nothing contrary to Nebraska joining another conference.

I say 10% less than Nexus because there's so many crazy logistical things to iron out. But it's not unlikely. That's how I see it.

If you had to shoot a percentage right now on the odds of ending up in the Big 10, what would the number be??

Just curious ..

I'll bite.

70/30

That's a fair guess. I'm a pessimist, but I'll still say 60/40. This rumor is easy to quash by anybody in Nebraska's administration, and to date we've heard nothing contrary to Nebraska joining another conference.

I say 10% less than Nexus because there's so many crazy logistical things to iron out. But it's not unlikely. That's how I see it.

Given the money involved and the NE brass attitude towards Texas I would go so far as to say 82.3638/17.6362 :rollin. I would have gone slightly higher but that might just be personal preference.

Just curious ..

I'll bite.

70/30

Given the money involved and the NE brass attitude towards Texas I would go so far as to say 82.3638/17.6362 :rollin. I would have gone slightly higher but that might just be personal preference.

:laughpound

Ever hear of rounding?

Somehow I've become pretty convinced in the past week or so that Nebraska is Big 10 bound. If the realignment scenario involves as many teams as predicted, I'd say Nebraska has a 80% chance of being one of them. Money's too good.

If it's more than one team, I think we're definitely involved. At least, they'll be courting us. We fit in with the Big 10 in a lot of ways.