Bo on Big 10 speculation

95-100% gone to the Big 10 or big 16. I say go for it and screw TX! :nanalama

I agree with or percentage I believe it's a done deal. If you look at the match ups Mich NU, Pen St NU, ohio St NU, Iowa NU ABC could sell each game big time Hell we could be part of the college game of the week 3 times in a year :cheers:snacks:

I agree with or percentage I believe it's a done deal. If you look at the match ups Mich NU, Pen St NU, ohio St NU, Iowa NU ABC could sell each game big time Hell we could be part of the college game of the week 3 times in a year :cheers:snacks:

Those games would be broadcast nationwide on ABC. Also, we need Bo to beat up on OSU a few times to make them not like him and want him as their coach in 10 years when Sweater Vest retires!!!

• Fire 1

Those games would be broadcast nationwide on ABC. Also, we need Bo to beat up on OSU a few times to make them not like him and want him as their coach in 10 years when Sweater Vest retires!!!

+1 the prospect of keeping Bo around long term, be it via a contract clause, the rarity of inter-conference coaching switches, or the reason you mentioned, is what makes the switch so appealing.

Minimum 1 year notice. I believe the notification date is July 1.

Yep.

You need to inform the Big 12 of your decision early. They won't allow you to just up and leave, RedDenver.

They can't withhold any percentage of conference earnings from us if we've already left. There isn't a buyout clause in place as there is in the Big East, so they can't fine us or ask for money. What exactly would they be able to do if NU simply up and left?

Minimum 1 year notice. I believe the notification date is July 1.

Yep.

You need to inform the Big 12 of your decision early. They won't allow you to just up and leave, RedDenver.

They can't withhold any percentage of conference earnings from us if we've already left. There isn't a buyout clause in place as there is in the Big East, so they can't fine us or ask for money. What exactly would they be able to do if NU simply up and left?

I was curious too and here is what I came up with.

3.1 Membership. Each Member Institution shall remain a member of the

Conference until July 1, 2006 (the “Current Term”) and during any Additional

Term (as defined below). Unless a Member Institution gives written notice that

it will withdraw from the Conference at the end of the Current Term or the then-current

Additional Term to all other Member Institutions and the Conference (a “Notice”)

not less than two (2) years before the end of the Current Term or the then-current

Additional Term, as the case may be, each Member Institution shall remain a

member of the Conference for an additional five-year period after the end of

the Current Term or the then-current Additional Term, as the case may be (each,

an “Additional Term”) unless such member is a Breaching Member. Each Member

Institution agrees that in the event such Member desires to withdraw from the

Conference, that it will in good faith give Notice not less than two (2) years

before the end of the Current Term or any Additional Term, as the case may be.

No Member Institution shall be entitled to distribution of the then-current

revenues from the Conference after the effective date of its withdrawal, resignation,

or the cessation of its participation in the Conference (the “Effective Date”).

3.2 Effect of Giving Notice. If a Member Institution gives proper Notice

pursuant to Section 3.1 (a "Withdrawing Member"), then the Members agree that

such withdrawal would cause financial hardship to the remaining Member Institutions

of the Conference, and that the financial consequences cannot be measured or

estimated with certainty at this time. Therefore, in recognition of the obligations

and responsibilities of each Member Institution to all other Member Institutions

of the Conference, each Member Institution agrees that the amount of revenue

that would have been otherwise distributable to a Withdrawing Member 14 pursuant

to Section 2 herein for the final two (2) years of the Current Term or the thencurrent

Additional Term, as the case may be, shall be reduced by fifty percent (50%),

with the remainder to be distributed to the other Member Institutions who are

not Withdrawing Members or Breaching Members (as defined below) as additional

Conference revenues in accordance with Section 2 herein. The Member Institutions

agree that such reduction in the amount of revenues distributed to a Withdrawing

Member is reasonable and shall be in the form of liquidated damages and not

be construed as a penalty.

3.3 Effect of Withdrawal From Conference Other Than by Giving Proper Notice.

If, other than by giving a proper Notice pursuant to Section 3.1, a Member Institution

(a "Breaching Member") withdraws, resigns, or otherwise ceases to participate

as a full Member Institution in full compliance with these Rules, or gives notice

or otherwise states its intent to so withdraw, resign, or cease to participate

in the future (a "Breach"), then the Member Institutions agree that such Breach

would cause financial hardship to the remaining Member Institutions of the Conference,

and that the financial consequences cannot be measured or estimated with certainty

at this time. Therefore, in recognition of the obligations and responsibilities

of each Member Institution to all other Member Institutions of the Conference,

each Member Institution agrees that after such Breach, the amount of Conference

revenue that would otherwise have been distributed or distributable to the Breaching

Member during the two (2) years prior to the end of the Current Term or the

then-current Additional Term, as the case may be, shall be reduced by an amount

that equals the sum of the aggregate of such revenues times the following percentages

(such sum being the "Aggregate Reduction"); if Notice is received less than

two years but on or before eighteen months prior to the Effective Date, 70%;

if Notice is received less than eighteen months but on or before twelve months

prior to the Effective Date, 80%; if Notice is received less than twelve months

but on or before six months prior to the Effective Date, 90%; or if Notice is

received less than six months prior to the Effective Date, 100%. After such

Breach, none of the revenues that otherwise would be distributable to a Breaching

Member shall be paid to the Breaching Member until the aggregate amount so withheld

(the "Withheld Amounts") equals the Aggregate Reduction; thereafter, all revenues

that would otherwise have been distributable to the Breaching Member shall be

so distributed. If the Withheld Amounts are less than the Aggregate Reduction,

then the Member Institutions acknowledge and agree that the Conference shall

assess such Breaching Member an amount that equals the difference of the Aggregate

Reduction less the Withheld Amounts, and the Breaching Member agrees that on

or prior to the Effective Date it shall repay to the Conference such amount

from revenue that previously had been distributed to such Breaching Member.

The Withheld Amounts and any such repayment of the difference of the Aggregate

Reduction less the Withheld Amounts shall be distributed to the other Member

Institutions who are not Withdrawing Members or Breaching Members as additional

Conference revenues in accordance with Section 2 herein. The Member Institutions

agree that such reduction in the distribution of revenues to a Breaching Member

is reasonable and shall be in the form of liquidated damages and not be construed

as a penalty.

LINK

So if Nebraska just up and left, they'd have to repay all the money they'd gotten from the Big 12 over the last two years? I'm not good at deciphering legalese.

That's what it sounds like to me. Thanks for the research Nexus.

Of course the B12 conference would have to collect that money which could be tied up in court until the B12 folds up shop anyways. But that's neither here nor there. Basically we'd lose 50% over 2 years, 90% over 1 year, or 100% over 2 years (less than 6 months notice), if we left the B12. Since the conference paid NU approximately $9 million last year that means we'd lose about $9 million. That seems like a factor we'd use as a bargaining chip for the B10 (i.e. we'd want the B10 to pay the B12).

So if Nebraska just up and left, they'd have to repay all the money they'd gotten from the Big 12 over the last two years? I'm not good at deciphering legalese.

That's what it sounds like to me. Thanks for the research Nexus.

Of course the B12 conference would have to collect that money which could be tied up in court until the B12 folds up shop anyways. But that's neither here nor there. Basically we'd lose 50% over 2 years, 90% over 1 year, or 100% over 2 years (less than 6 months notice), if we left the B12. Since the conference paid NU approximately $9 million last year that means we'd lose about $9 million. That seems like a factor we'd use as a bargaining chip for the B10 (i.e. we'd want the B10 to pay the B12).

Given that Nebraska would make about 14 million? more in their first year in the Big 10, I would be surprised if the Big 10 didn't just say we already are paying off what you owe the Big 12 and then some :)

Given that Nebraska would make about 14 million? more in their first year in the Big 10, I would be surprised if the Big 10 didn't just say we already are paying off what you owe the Big 12 and then some :)

Problem is that NU would lose $4.5M/year for 2 years BEFORE joining the B10. That's not a deal breaker, but it's a lot of money to lose. There's also been talk of new B10 members needing to buy into the Big Ten Network. The most commonly quoted number I've seen is $5M/year for 10 years (keep in mind, that's extremely speculative). If NU had to pay to get out of the B12 and then pay to get equity in the BTN, that might be a deal breaker.

The way I understand it NU will have to buy equity in the Big Ten Network, besides the loss of revenue in Big 12 penalties for a lack of a better term.

IMHO, I don't think anything formal has been offered. TO won't lie period, end of story. That doesn't mean that there isn't some type of informal offer on the table(I believe there is).

All that being said I don't believe we can turn down the long term big money. I have been trying to find a link that explained how NU is the #2 choice of the Big 10 due to the tv appeal. The numbers in that article has us behind ND but far ahead of the other players in number of viewers, not in-state but nation wide. Born and bred Husker fans that have moved to other parts of the country are some of the best at converting others to Husker Nation.... I witnessed this first hand in Houston. A good friend of mine lives there and I was there for the bowl game. He had 10-15 Texans in Husker gear watching the game and high-fiving as though they were raised in the shadows of Memorial Stadium. It was quite a sight indeed.

75% we go.