Salt on the Wound

Tom Osborne speaks out in support of Anderson:

Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne said Monday he looks forward to seeing Mike Anderson’s young Nebraska baseball team maturing and enjoying brighter days ahead.

And yes, Osborne said, Anderson will be coaching the Huskers next season.

Osborne told the Journal Star that the team’s young roster, and recent strong recruiting, are reasons for optimism. What’s more, Osborne said, Anderson’s resume over his eight seasons as NU’s head coach should be taken into account by the coach’s critics.

LINK

I've waffled on Anderson's fate over the last two years. The recruits being poached by MLB had me thinking he needed more time when people started calling for his head last year (or two years ago?), but this year has been really hard to stomach. This team is dead in the water, and young as they are, you would have to think there would be a way to get something out of them other than lackluster play and blowout losses.

Another problem I have is that so many of us (me included) have been saying that Doc Sadler needs new facilities to make his program take off. I think this is fair for Doc, but Mike has those facilities. Haymarket Park is one of the best parks in the Big 12, and has to be way up near the top echelon nationally. If it's not the facilities, what's the problem?

Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne said Monday he looks forward to seeing Mike Andersons young Nebraska baseball team maturing and enjoying brighter days ahead.

Osborne told the Journal Star that the teams young roster, and recent strong recruiting, are reasons for optimism. Whats more, Osborne said, Andersons resume over his eight seasons as NUs head coach should be taken into account by the coachs critics.

LINK

I've waffled on Anderson's fate over the last two years. The recruits being poached by MLB had me thinking he needed more time when people started calling for his head last year (or two years ago?), but this year has been really hard to stomach. This team is dead in the water, and young as they are, you would have to think there would be a way to get something out of them other than lackluster play and blowout losses.

Another problem I have is that so many of us (me included) have been saying that Doc Sadler needs new facilities to make his program take off. I think this is fair for Doc, but Mike has those facilities. Haymarket Park is one of the best parks in the Big 12, and has to be way up near the top echelon nationally. If it's not the facilities, what's the problem?

Where are the players, past and present, speaking in Anderson's defense? I don't see any. That's a red flag.

Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne said Monday he looks forward to seeing Mike Anderson’s young Nebraska baseball team maturing and enjoying brighter days ahead.

Osborne told the Journal Star that the team’s young roster, and recent strong recruiting, are reasons for optimism. What’s more, Osborne said, Anderson’s resume over his eight seasons as NU’s head coach should be taken into account by the coach’s critics.

LINK

That is very true, i've think they've won multiple Baseball Park of the year awards. But it won't be worth anything if we don't have a worthy team.

I guess all I can do know is keep cheering 'em on and hope they can make something out of the situation. These are good kids and I hope they can see past the BS if that's what they're dealing with.

Since it's clear, to most people, Anderson has been doing a lot wrong I hope he is one to see it and make the required changes to get the program back to respectability. Maybe T.O. pointed out his errors in hopes of helping the program come back.

Ive heard it several times from players. Most of them dont like playing for Anderson. He is not well respected in his own dugout. You think this would come through in recruting, but I think its hard for many players offered by NU to pass it up based on the past success, however, I think that may begin to fade if nothing is done.

You've heard it from players themselves? Not asking you to name names, just want to make sure this is a 1st person account, because I think not everybody believes it yet, and applaud TO for being so inscrutably wise in his decision making in this situation :facepalm:

I personally think that Anderson has let us down, but they brought up a good point on Unsportsmanlike Conduct: who would be a better head coach who is currently available or who would actually take the job?

Is the unknown better than what we have?

I guess that would be impossible to answer, considering TO hadn't even put on a search, eh? I was really disappointed when I read that article. I figure as long as Osborne believes that Anderson is doing, "excellent in every area", and TO continues to believe Anderson's excuses...we may as well just not expect anything from our baseball program.

As far as our young players, I find it hard to be optimistic when Anderson has repeatedly proven that he has a knack for taking talent and coaching it down. I mean, our own players have even said they don't want to be playing for this 2010 team, and regret coming back for their senior season.

What more of a sign does TO need?

-Players saying they regret playing here (this was a huge red flag to me)? Check.

-A likely second consecutive season of playing sub .500 baseball? Check.

-Not winning a Big 12 conference series in over a season? Check.

-Attendance dipping dramatically? Check.

As someone said in an earlier response, "This team is dead in the water." I think that describes this season, and seasons to come under MA.

Ive heard it several times from players. Most of them dont like playing for Anderson. He is not well respected in his own dugout. You think this would come through in recruting, but I think its hard for many players offered by NU to pass it up based on the past success, however, I think that may begin to fade if nothing is done.

You've heard it from players themselves? Not asking you to name names, just want to make sure this is a 1st person account, because I think not everybody believes it yet, and applaud TO for being so inscrutably wise in his decision making in this situation :facepalm:

I have heard it from 2 players. They also said there are quite a few players that feel the same. To put it blunt, they said hes a complete jackass. Maybe thats just them being sensitive, but maybe thats how it is. But overall, something isnt right.

I have heard it from 2 players. They also said there are quite a few players that feel the same. To put it blunt, they said hes a complete jackass. Maybe thats just them being sensitive, but maybe thats how it is. But overall, something isnt right.

Cool, thanks for sharing. People have been saying this for years, so at some point it eliminates the probability of merely oversensitive players and it becomes a severe cause for concern regarding the personality of Mike Anderson. And yet it seems most Nebraska fans only care about football and just go with what the read in the LJS, MOD EDIT - Language and making excuses for him.

It's OK to be upset about what's going on, but let's keep it clean.