Big Ten Fan Bases

The following two fanbases suck:

Ohio State - there are so many of these efers in Chicago and they are so fricking annoying. The most passionate fans tend to be the ones that didn't go to the school. Ohio, Miami of Ohio, Marshall, etc. all bleed Ohio State crimson. I get text messages from some every Saturday saying how their team is so good. Every single one has a bs sense of entitlement...I hate them the most (sorry Manhattan).

Michigan - smug, arrogant, think they know it all from politics to water polo to football. Not really much else to say.

another thing about michigan: they actually think they won a national championship in 1997.

weird, huh?

Illinois student here... just wanted to see what fans from schools "offered" a chance to join the Big Ten are thinking. I agree with pretty much everything that people have been saying about us (Illinois fans). We don't really care about football unless we are good, which isn't often, or we upset a school known for football like Ohio State. We care much more about basketball here. That said, a lot of us (I'm not gonna lie I've joined in) make fun of schools with lower academic standards like Iowa because we all know someone from the suburbs of Chicago who really isn't smart at all but met the relatively low standards of Iowa and went there. So if you come to our house you'll get lame, arrogant comments from drunken fans. I remember one to an Iowa fan: "I got double-digits on my ACT, did you?"

Northwestern fans want so badly to be U of I's rival but most of us here don't care about them at all haha. I personally would much rather have an Illinois-Missouri rivalry; we play each other once a year in football and basketball anyways.

And I agree with most everything about Michigan. I just don't like that Michigan thinks it's like an Ivy League school under the guise of a public school. This, a popular shirt around campus, is how Illinois feels about Michigan hahaha

Welcome HuskerBoard! Thanks for sharing your perspective. :thumbs

Oh, also I think if we had a chance to play and upset Nebraska in Champaign our Memorial Stadium would be packed and filled with energy. But I honestly don't really see you guys getting too excited about playing us if we came into your house though.

Ohio State - there are so many of these efers in Chicago and they are so fricking annoying. The most passionate fans tend to be the ones that didn't go to the school. Ohio, Miami of Ohio, Marshall, etc. all bleed Ohio State crimson. I get text messages from some every Saturday saying how their team is so good. Every single one has a bs sense of entitlement...I hate them the most (sorry Manhattan).

Michigan - smug, arrogant, think they know it all from politics to water polo to football. Not really much else to say.

another thing about michigan: they actually think they won a national championship in 1997.

weird, huh?

Illinois student here... just wanted to see what fans from schools "offered" a chance to join the Big Ten are thinking. I agree with pretty much everything that people have been saying about us (Illinois fans). We don't really care about football unless we are good, which isn't often, or we upset a school known for football like Ohio State. We care much more about basketball here. That said, a lot of us (I'm not gonna lie I've joined in) make fun of schools with lower academic standards like Iowa because we all know someone from the suburbs of Chicago who really isn't smart at all but met the relatively low standards of Iowa and went there. So if you come to our house you'll get lame, arrogant comments from drunken fans. I remember one to an Iowa fan: "I got double-digits on my ACT, did you?"

Northwestern fans want so badly to be U of I's rival but most of us here don't care about them at all haha. I personally would much rather have an Illinois-Missouri rivalry; we play each other once a year in football and basketball anyways.

And I agree with most everything about Michigan. I just don't like that Michigan thinks it's like an Ivy League school under the guise of a public school. This, a popular shirt around campus, is how Illinois feels about Michigan hahaha

Welcome HuskerBoard! Thanks for sharing your perspective. :thumbs

Oh, also I think if we had a chance to play and upset Nebraska in Champaign our Memorial Stadium would be packed and filled with energy. But I honestly don't really see you guys getting too excited about playing us if we came into your house though.

FWIW, regardless of gauging whether our fans would be excited or not, just know that our stadium will be sold out when you come. DeVry could start up a football program and play at our stadium and we'd still sell it out just because we love our football regardless who it's against.

• Fire 2

Of course we'll get excited. We put 77,000 people in the stadium in Spring just to watch a practice. We'll be packed to the rafters when the Illini come calling.

PS - welcome to the board! Make yourself at home. :thumbs

Hey, Michigan State fan here. Here are my views on the Big Ten fan bases, starting with my own.

Michigan State- As one of our other fans have stated, while many people think of MSU as a basketball school, we are really split 50/50. Much of our fanbase views the team as almost a sleeping giant in the Big Ten, and recently we have been "waking up". Due to this, even though we have had many miserable years, our fanbase continues to stay loyal and fill the stadium, along with traveling well. Overall I'd say while we have some downsides, we tend to be a pretty good fanbase, and I have yet to see any major disrespect toward any visiting schools that aren't named Michigan.

Penn State- Penn State fans are known for their partying, but they are also very loyal. A lot of their fans tend to look down on the Big Ten as many still remember when they were independent. Apart from that, I haven't had to many problems with them.

Wisconsin- Fun fanbase (though their basketball fans can be unbearable) and always make their gameday experience exciting. Their tradition of jumping to the song "Jump Around" during the 3rd quarter intermission always leaves the stadium shaking. There is a reason why it is so hard to win there.

Iowa- Michigan State and Iowa have been banging heads for the last couple years after Iowa fans insisted that they should jump Northwestern and Michigan State during the bowl bids simply because they "travel well", ignoring the fact that both teams had a better record and beat them head to head. They managed to jump Northwestern. Their major downside is insisting that they deserve more than they get. Apart from that, their fans are very loyal and make it very difficult to win at Kinnick Stadium. While it can be easy to get into feuds with them, nothing is ever severe enough to completely hate them. Playing their team is always entertaining though, as it always results in a physical game.

Northwestern- I haven't met anyone in their fanbase, but they have never done anything for me to disrespect them. Easily my second favorite team in the conference, and they will beat you if you don't take them seriously.

Minnesota- Being so far away, I really haven't met any Minnesota fans either. Minnesota tends to be anywhere from mediocre to bad in almost any given sport.

Purdue- They usually have a decent showing in football and basketball, but it seems to depend on how well they are doing in each sport. I never hear to much out of them, but the few that I knew were very loyal.

Illinois- All of the fans that I have met where very nice when I traveled to Champaign. They were having a losing season though, so I don't know how much that factored into it. From what I have seen, they have trouble filling their stadium, which is not very large.

Indiana- I wasn't to impressed with Indiana fans when I went down there. They were very obnoxious, especially considering how poor of a showing they were making on the field and filling in the stadium. I would be surprised if Indiana football ever made it into the top half of the conference for more than one or two years straight. Don't expect much out of them.

Ohio State- They tend to be very drunk and obnoxious, but they do travel VERY well, probably the best in the whole conference. Plan on them taking over any given stadium, though it won't be nearly as noticeable for you guys as you wear red too. If you want an idea of how bad it can get, google search images from the 2009 Michigan vs Ohio State game.

Michigan- Unbearable fanbase. Living in the same town as them makes it that much worse. They do believe that they know everything about everything, and they won't waste a second to praise the incredible education at their school...even though most of them do not and never have attended it. They truly believe they are god's gift to college football, and if they lose, it was because the refs, the time of day, the layout of the field, or the game clock screwed them over. Be prepared to hear "You would have lost to Appalachian State too...they won the Division 1-AA championship the year before."

This only happens to fan bases that let it, NU fans are not selling their tickets to an Ohio State fan in the parking lot...

Exactly. I actually see our fans maybe taking over a few big10 stadiums (Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern or Indiana) on gameday. http://sportsmed.starwave.com/ncf/s/2000/0909/732611.html

weird, huh?

Well the AP crowned Michigan national champions (12-0) #1.

ESPN/Coaches crowned Nebraska national champions (13-0) #1.

I'd take the AP poll over any other selectors back before the BCS.

Years like 97 is why the BCS was created to ensure there would not be anymore split national championships.

Also years like 1984 when #1 BYU played #24 Michigan in the Holiday Bowl...Why in the...ugh :facepalm:

weird, huh?

I think the thing that we can all agree on is that, regardless of who crowned who champion that year, Nebraska was the better team. :)

Of course we'll get excited. We put 77,000 people in the stadium in Spring just to watch a practice. We'll be packed to the rafters when the Illini come calling.

PS - welcome to the board! Make yourself at home. :thumbs

As "The Answer" Allen Iverson would say: "We talkin' 'bout practice."

weird, huh?

Years like 97 is why the BCS was created to ensure there would not be anymore split national championships.

Also years like 1984 when #1 BYU played #24 Michigan in the Holiday Bowl...Why in the...ugh :facepalm:

That's fine, Nebraska can keep the $60,000 Sears trophy and Michigan can show off the tropthy that looks like it was made in woodshop by a AP writer.

[quote name='MGoBlue1976' date='13 May 2010 - 04:38 PM' timestamp='1273786685' post='603587'

Of course you would, they did pick your team after all. It's all good though, I imagine we would have done the same if the rolls were reversed.

Of course you would, they did pick your team after all. It's all good though, I imagine we would have done the same if the rolls were reversed.

At the end of day all we can do is think about what if Michigan played Nebraska in 97.

Regardless what anyone thinks what would happen both teams were crowned national champs and had great seasons to remember that year.

At the end of day all we can do is think about what if Michigan played Nebraska in 97.

Regardless what anyone thinks what would happen both teams were crowned national champs and had great seasons to remember that year.

No doubt, would have been a great game.

Man, still love to imagine how epic of a game this could have been.

No doubt, would have been a great game.

I doubt. 6 words: Peyton Manning >>>>>>> Ryan Leaf, enough said.

My thoughts in red.

I have had many interactions with a number of Big 10 schools living in Chicago. Here are my opinions:

Penn State - good fans. know their stuff and come out in droves. very loyal. I would agree with this. I have not actually been there but the Penn State fans I have met and talked with seemed very nice.

Wisconsin - good fans but care as much about drinking as their team. I actually love Wisconsin fans. I've had great times during my trips to Madison and the Wisconsin women in Chicago are amazing. Going to Wisconsin can be a bit rough depending on how they are doing in any given year. If they are having a down year they are very nice but if they are in the thick of things it can bring out some rudeness to visitors

Iowa - very passionate but seem to think they are better than they really are. good fans though. WE ROCK!!! :) Seriously though - we are extremely passionate and many unfortunately seem to get big heads a little too fast when things are going well. Some of us try to be thoughtful and admit the teams shortcomings though. I think the in game atmostphere at Kinnick and Memorial are both pretty similar but man you guys need to learn to tailgate better!

Northwestern - who cares really They are a strange bunch. If they upset you a few years in a row they get very cocky but otherwise they are very nice but mostly subdued fans. It is very easy to fill half their stadium with your own fans.

Minnesota - very passionate and hope to god their team is good even though deep down they know they suck. good fans. Can't comment on them because we get their worst very similar to Nebraska and Colorado or Missouri

Michigan State - great fans that love to drink. similar to Wisconsin fans. I've been to East Lansing a few times now and I love how they come out for games. They only really care about beating Michigan. I am not a big fan of Michigan State fans. Other than Michigan fans they seem to be the rudest fans in the conference.

Illinois - not really a big fan of these guys. Not terrible but they seem to have this sense of entitlement - more so in basketball than football. Tend to think they are better and other people care about more than they really are/do. Never had a problem with them. They have a problem filling their stadium and since Iowa is so close to them when we have gone there it was with a third of the stadium of us.

Indiana - very passionate but their team sucks and probably always will. Seems a good assessment as does the Purdue one.

Purdue - not much experience with Purdue "fans." I know a bunch of Purdue people but no cares that much about any sport...a little basketball but that was just b/c there were very good this year.

Ohio State - there are so many of these efers in Chicago and they are so fricking annoying. The most passionate fans tend to be the ones that didn't go to the school. Ohio, Miami of Ohio, Marshall, etc. all bleed Ohio State crimson. I get text messages from some every Saturday saying how their team is so good. Every single one has a bs sense of entitlement...I hate them the most (sorry Manhattan). I have never had a problem with Ohio State but then again until recently they never really had any reason to give us the time of day.

Michigan - smug, arrogant, think they know it all from politics to water polo to football. Not really much else to say. By far the fan base that was the rudeest to us in our travels to other stadiums.

If you do plan on roadtripping here is a site from a group of fans in Milwaukee that hit all the Big 10 stadiums last year and talk about things to do and see in the places in addition to giving full run downs of game atmosphere both before, during and after the games.

http://www.thebig10tour.com/

Sorry Caven, but no one gets upset a few years in a row. NW > :nutz < Iowa That one sounded like it came from personal experience too. OUCH! "Worse than Northwestern! Go Hawkeyes!" Got a ring to it.