Big Ten Fan Bases

Michigan fan here. I'm going to try to be as unbiased as I can here. Let me attempt to review the fan bases on MY personal experiences with them.

Illinois- The Illini fans I've met when they came to the Big House in 08 were fine. BUT when I made the trip to Champagne in '07 and '09. a$hole$. They get a lead in the game and they'll be a$hole$ until you take it back. They were ESPECIALLY asses in '07 when they had that rare Rose Bowl year. Illinois fans are okay when the Illini are having an awful season, but when they start winning they turn bad. A majority seem to hate Michigan for some strange reason but then again what other teams fan base doesn't? lol

Indiana- Not much to say here. IU has sucked. Always have. Always will. Basketball school

Iowa- Iowa fans are actually not that bad at all. I've been to Iowa City numerous times and win or lose, they were classy people. They stick by their team win of lose. But you don't beat Iowa at Kinnick in the fall at night. (See Penn State 08)

Michigan State- These people love to drink and hate Michigan. I can understand hating them hating us for Michigan beating up on their team for years. They do get extremely annoying when they are doing somewhat decent during the season. I remember many times MSU had a 4-0 record going into the game vs Michigan and their fans talking tons of crap, Michigan beats them, MSU goes into a downward spiral from until the end of the season and calls for their coaches head. It was especially funny their fans heckling me at the 07 game when we lost to App that year. And Michigan beating MSU 28-24 and not hearing a word from them.

Minnesota- Nice group of people. They know that their team is not in the top of the Big Ten but they stick by them.

Northwestern- When NW has decent seasons their fans get cocky and start talking like their team is the defending BCS champs until the next time you play Northwestern, you bury them, and their fans go back to being silent. More of an academic school BY FAR. Although NW football had a nice season last year and nearly beat an SEC team.

Ohio State- I understand there might be some good fans of OSU but the ones I've had encounters with were pieces of trash. Just like every team has the good fans and the a-hole fans. Maybe they only act this way for Michigan fans, I don't know. Once a Buckeye fan yelled F*CK right in my 7 year old sons face. I've had bottles thrown at me and my two friends in Columbus. Tires slashed, window busted out and food thrown on the hood of my car before (This happened all different visits) On our local news channels they actually tell people who are going down there to the game a list of SAFETY PRECAUTIONS. Now maybe it's just me, but NOBODY should fear attending a f*cking football game! These people are genuine DOUCHEBAGS.

Penn State- They know how to have a hell of a tailgate up in State College, PA. I haven't had one bad experience with PSU fans.

Purdue- Can't really say much with Purdue fans. Never been to West Lafayette but the Purdue fans came in very limited numbers to the games at the Big House

Wisconsin- These guys are loud as hell and make Camp Randall one hell of homefield advantage. Nice fans I've met from there. Not really anything bad to say about Big Red (Badger version)

Welcome to HuskerBoard. Hope you'll stick around and contribute more. Always nice to get an outsider's perspective.

Hopefully the Huskers come to the Big "Ten" :)

It's looking that way, isn't it? I'm not opposed to it myself. I'd love to visit The Big House and The Horse Shoe among other places in the Big Ten. Should be fun to watch in the coming years if it comes to fruition.

Perhaps a Nebraska vs Iowa rivalry would emerge? Farm State Rivalry ;)

:lol:

More like the Corn Belt rivalry.

:clap I like it! lol

If all happens right, then this would be a pretty interesting decade of Big "Ten" football.

Indeed it should.

Growing up in Illinois let me toss in my two cents.

The reason people have a hard time with many Michigan fans is because Michigan fans like to pretend that Michigan is Harvard. Its not Harvard. The fans really arent bad they are just like any other school. You know how when a kid picks ND over NU and says its because of academics and all the NU fans freak out and start defending NU? Well that is Michigan, 24/7.

Illinois fans usually just wait for basketball season, The illini have it tough because most of the alums live in Chicago which is a decent drive back to campus and those guys just kind of lose touch with the football team. They are great basketball fans though.

MSU has some pretty cool fans and they love to party and they have some hot girls at that place.

Lets face it though, every team has cool fans, ass fans, lame fans, smart fans* and fun fans.

*smart fans are usually the second worst fan if you ask me. Look, the a-hole fan sucks because they are a$$hole$ but the smart fan, the fan that wants to chat with you about blocking schemes or a game that "their" team played 26 years ago or how if "your" corners creep up on run support it will mean a very long day for "your" team, well thats freaking boring as hell.

People, most anyway, in the 21-40 range want to go to a game to drink, drink, eat, chase girls, go to the game and yell, sober up, leave the game and go drink.

Growing up in Illinois let me toss in my two cents.

The reason people have a hard time with many Michigan fans is because Michigan fans like to pretend that Michigan is Harvard. Its not Harvard. The fans really arent bad they are just like any other school. You know how when a kid picks ND over NU and says its because of academics and all the NU fans freak out and start defending NU? Well that is Michigan, 24/7.

Illinois fans usually just wait for basketball season, The illini have it tough because most of the alums live in Chicago which is a decent drive back to campus and those guys just kind of lose touch with the football team. They are great basketball fans though.

MSU has some pretty cool fans and they love to party and they have some hot girls at that place.

Lets face it though, every team has cool fans, ass fans, lame fans, smart fans* and fun fans.

*smart fans are usually the second worst fan if you ask me. Look, the a-hole fan sucks because they are a$hole$ but the smart fan, the fan that wants to chat with you about blocking schemes or a game that "their" team played 26 years ago or how if "your" corners creep up on run support it will mean a very long day for "your" team, well thats freaking boring as hell.

People, most anyway, in the 21-40 range want to go to a game to drink, drink, eat, chase girls, go to the game and yell, sober up, leave the game and go drink.

:yeah

Bolded and enlarged for emphasis.

Ok, going with what I have experienced and known of these fanbases:

Michigan - smug, arrogant, annoying. Not so much of late because they suck.

Wisconsin - very good fanbase. I like these guys and usually pull for them in Big 10 football.

Purdue - actually know some fans...seem down to earth, just hope they can be good. Respectful.

Ohio State - the fans I know are alright...not so much different than other top program fans thinking they are the best.

Illinois - only care when their team is good.

Penn State - enthusiastic, loyal, passionate, seems like a very good fanbase.

Don't know enough about the other schools to comment.

The following two fanbases suck:

Ohio State - there are so many of these efers in Chicago and they are so fricking annoying. The most passionate fans tend to be the ones that didn't go to the school. Ohio, Miami of Ohio, Marshall, etc. all bleed Ohio State crimson. I get text messages from some every Saturday saying how their team is so good. Every single one has a bs sense of entitlement...I hate them the most (sorry Manhattan).

Michigan - smug, arrogant, think they know it all from politics to water polo to football. Not really much else to say.

another thing about michigan: they actually think they won a national championship in 1997.

weird, huh?

I'm liking that there are several Big 10 fans from different schools around here. Welcome to huskerboard.com, hope you stick around and provide to the board. :thumbs I'm all for going to the Big 10. I've lived in Iowa my entire life, grew up in an Iowa household where everyone was an Iowa fan. My family was extremely shocked that I decided to become a Husker fan, but I wanted to be different. Speaking from that perspective, Iowa fans can be extremely annoying if they want to be. At times they think they are the cats meow and no one can beat them. At times they don't want to give credit to any team and are a little ridiculous. I suppose that is the case with most fanbases, but if we do go to the Big 10. We are gonna have one helluva a rivalry with Iowa.

I'm liking that there are several Big 10 fans from different schools around here. Welcome to huskerboard.com, hope you stick around and provide to the board. :thumbs I'm all for going to the Big 10. I've lived in Iowa my entire life, grew up in an Iowa household where everyone was an Iowa fan. My family was extremely shocked that I decided to become a Husker fan, but I wanted to be different. Speaking from that perspective, Iowa fans can be extremely annoying if they want to be. At times they think they are the cats meow and no one can beat them. At times they don't want to give credit to any team and are a little ridiculous. I suppose that is the case with most fanbases, but if we do go to the Big 10. We are gonna have one helluva a rivalry with Iowa.

Any Iowa fan that thinks nobody can beat us just needs to look at last season. Best season we have had in a long time and we still won by the skin of our teeth most games. Lately it seems we to like to play to our competition and keep things interesting good or bad. That is better than just getting taken to the woodshed but man I don't see how any of us can claim no one can beat us. I would say we can beat anyone but anyone can beat us. Hell Northwestern has OWNED us in recent years.

Any Iowa fan that thinks nobody can beat us just needs to look at last season. Best season we have had in a long time and we still won by the skin of our teeth most games. Lately it seems we to like to play to our competition and keep things interesting good or bad. That is better than just getting taken to the woodshed but man I don't see how any of us can claim no one can beat us. I would say we can beat anyone but anyone can beat us. Hell Northwestern has OWNED us in recent years.

i appreciate your honesty. i watched poor indiana lose it late to iowa and michigan, they almost know heartbreak like the huskers do.

Ohio State - there are so many of these efers in Chicago and they are so fricking annoying. The most passionate fans tend to be the ones that didn't go to the school. Ohio, Miami of Ohio, Marshall, etc. all bleed Ohio State crimson. I get text messages from some every Saturday saying how their team is so good. Every single one has a bs sense of entitlement...I hate them the most (sorry Manhattan).

Michigan - smug, arrogant, think they know it all from politics to water polo to football. Not really much else to say.

another thing about michigan: they actually think they won a national championship in 1997.

weird, huh?

My boss is Canadian (with no ties to the US) and he is a Michigan fan. We talk about that year in college football probably once a week to this day. It's amazing that they think they could hold a glove to us that year.

In the bowl games alone, we dominated (42-17) a Tennessee team ranked #3 and led by arguably the best QB ever, Peyton Manning, and they beat (21-16) a very average #8 Washington State.

Not to mention, the coaches (the people who actually know football) voted Nebraska #1, while the Press (the idiots who think they know football) voted Michigan #1.

No way Nebraska loses if we got to play Michigan that year.

I am an Ohio State fan and I can understand why people would judge OSU fans the way they do. I remember the 2006 Michigan vs OSU game in Columbus and the problems in and around the stadium. There was a point where I had to tell some drunk guys behind me to shut up because of the stuff they were yelling at passing Michigan fans. I can understand some good ribbing but not some of the stuff that was said. Saying that, I have ran into fans from teams all over the country and ALL TEAMS have these problems. If you go to any other sporting event at OSU, (i.e. basketball) you wouldn't have these problems.

I hope Nebraska does end up in the Big 10 but I hope that Bo stays out of Northeast Ohio while recruiting. :) I think it would be great to take in a Nebraksa/OSU game at the Shoe.

I am an Ohio State fan and I can understand why people would judge OSU fans the way they do. I remember the 2006 Michigan vs OSU game in Columbus and the problems in and around the stadium. There was a point where I had to tell some drunk guys behind me to shut up because of the stuff they were yelling at passing Michigan fans. I can understand some good ribbing but not some of the stuff that was said. Saying that, I have ran into fans from teams all over the country and ALL TEAMS have these problems. If you go to any other sporting event at OSU, (i.e. basketball) you wouldn't have these problems.

I hope Nebraska does end up in the Big 10 but I hope that Bo stays out of Northeast Ohio while recruiting. :)I think it would be great to take in a Nebraksa/OSU game at the Shoe.

Even Nebraska has crappy fans.....

Man that would be so much fun. I live in Chicago and would do just about anything for a ticket to that game.

weird, huh?

Illinois student here... just wanted to see what fans from schools "offered" a chance to join the Big Ten are thinking. I agree with pretty much everything that people have been saying about us (Illinois fans). We don't really care about football unless we are good, which isn't often, or we upset a school known for football like Ohio State. We care much more about basketball here. That said, a lot of us (I'm not gonna lie I've joined in) make fun of schools with lower academic standards like Iowa because we all know someone from the suburbs of Chicago who really isn't smart at all but met the relatively low standards of Iowa and went there. So if you come to our house you'll get lame, arrogant comments from drunken fans. I remember one to an Iowa fan: "I got double-digits on my ACT, did you?"

Northwestern fans want so badly to be U of I's rival but most of us here don't care about them at all haha. I personally would much rather have an Illinois-Missouri rivalry; we play each other once a year in football and basketball anyways.

And I agree with most everything about Michigan. I just don't like that Michigan thinks it's like an Ivy League school under the guise of a public school. This, a popular shirt around campus, is how Illinois feels about Michigan hahaha

MOD Edit - sorry, no profanity in the forums, even like that.

P.S. I think you should join the Big Ten (16)!

weird, huh?

Illinois student here... just wanted to see what fans from schools "offered" a chance to join the Big Ten are thinking. I agree with pretty much everything that people have been saying about us (Illinois fans). We don't really care about football unless we are good, which isn't often, or we upset a school known for football like Ohio State. We care much more about basketball here. That said, a lot of us (I'm not gonna lie I've joined in) make fun of schools with lower academic standards like Iowa because we all know someone from the suburbs of Chicago who really isn't smart at all but met the relatively low standards of Iowa and went there. So if you come to our house you'll get lame, arrogant comments from drunken fans. I remember one to an Iowa fan: "I got double-digits on my ACT, did you?"

Northwestern fans want so badly to be U of I's rival but most of us here don't care about them at all haha. I personally would much rather have an Illinois-Missouri rivalry; we play each other once a year in football and basketball anyways.

And I agree with most everything about Michigan. I just don't like that Michigan thinks it's like an Ivy League school under the guise of a public school. This, a popular shirt around campus, is how Illinois feels about Michigan hahaha

Welcome HuskerBoard! Thanks for sharing your perspective. :thumbs