Big Ten Fan Bases

Hey, Michigan State fan here. Here are my views on the Big Ten fan bases, starting with my own.

Michigan State- As one of our other fans have stated, while many people think of MSU as a basketball school, we are really split 50/50. Much of our fanbase views the team as almost a sleeping giant in the Big Ten, and recently we have been "waking up". Due to this, even though we have had many miserable years, our fanbase continues to stay loyal and fill the stadium, along with traveling well. Overall I'd say while we have some downsides, we tend to be a pretty good fanbase, and I have yet to see any major disrespect toward any visiting schools that aren't named Michigan.

Penn State- Penn State fans are known for their partying, but they are also very loyal. A lot of their fans tend to look down on the Big Ten as many still remember when they were independent. Apart from that, I haven't had to many problems with them.

Wisconsin- Fun fanbase (though their basketball fans can be unbearable) and always make their gameday experience exciting. Their tradition of jumping to the song "Jump Around" during the 3rd quarter intermission always leaves the stadium shaking. There is a reason why it is so hard to win there.

Iowa- Michigan State and Iowa have been banging heads for the last couple years after Iowa fans insisted that they should jump Northwestern and Michigan State during the bowl bids simply because they "travel well", ignoring the fact that both teams had a better record and beat them head to head. They managed to jump Northwestern. Their major downside is insisting that they deserve more than they get. Apart from that, their fans are very loyal and make it very difficult to win at Kinnick Stadium. While it can be easy to get into feuds with them, nothing is ever severe enough to completely hate them. Playing their team is always entertaining though, as it always results in a physical game.

Northwestern- I haven't met anyone in their fanbase, but they have never done anything for me to disrespect them. Easily my second favorite team in the conference, and they will beat you if you don't take them seriously.

Minnesota- Being so far away, I really haven't met any Minnesota fans either. Minnesota tends to be anywhere from mediocre to bad in almost any given sport.

Purdue- They usually have a decent showing in football and basketball, but it seems to depend on how well they are doing in each sport. I never hear to much out of them, but the few that I knew were very loyal.

Illinois- All of the fans that I have met where very nice when I traveled to Champaign. They were having a losing season though, so I don't know how much that factored into it. From what I have seen, they have trouble filling their stadium, which is not very large.

Indiana- I wasn't to impressed with Indiana fans when I went down there. They were very obnoxious, especially considering how poor of a showing they were making on the field and filling in the stadium. I would be surprised if Indiana football ever made it into the top half of the conference for more than one or two years straight. Don't expect much out of them.

Ohio State- They tend to be very drunk and obnoxious, but they do travel VERY well, probably the best in the whole conference. Plan on them taking over any given stadium, though it won't be nearly as noticeable for you guys as you wear red too. If you want an idea of how bad it can get, google search images from the 2009 Michigan vs Ohio State game.

Michigan- Unbearable fanbase. Living in the same town as them makes it that much worse. They do believe that they know everything about everything, and they won't waste a second to praise the incredible education at their school...even though most of them do not and never have attended it. They truly believe they are god's gift to college football, and if they lose, it was because the refs, the time of day, the layout of the field, or the game clock screwed them over. Be prepared to hear "You would have lost to Appalachian State too...they won the Division 1-AA championship the year before."

This only happens to fan bases that let it, NU fans are not selling their tickets to an Ohio State fan in the parking lot...

Hey, Michigan State fan here. Here are my views on the Big Ten fan bases, starting with my own.

Michigan State- As one of our other fans have stated, while many people think of MSU as a basketball school, we are really split 50/50. Much of our fanbase views the team as almost a sleeping giant in the Big Ten, and recently we have been "waking up". Due to this, even though we have had many miserable years, our fanbase continues to stay loyal and fill the stadium, along with traveling well. Overall I'd say while we have some downsides, we tend to be a pretty good fanbase, and I have yet to see any major disrespect toward any visiting schools that aren't named Michigan.

Penn State- Penn State fans are known for their partying, but they are also very loyal. A lot of their fans tend to look down on the Big Ten as many still remember when they were independent. Apart from that, I haven't had to many problems with them.

Wisconsin- Fun fanbase (though their basketball fans can be unbearable) and always make their gameday experience exciting. Their tradition of jumping to the song "Jump Around" during the 3rd quarter intermission always leaves the stadium shaking. There is a reason why it is so hard to win there.

Iowa- Michigan State and Iowa have been banging heads for the last couple years after Iowa fans insisted that they should jump Northwestern and Michigan State during the bowl bids simply because they "travel well", ignoring the fact that both teams had a better record and beat them head to head. They managed to jump Northwestern. Their major downside is insisting that they deserve more than they get. Apart from that, their fans are very loyal and make it very difficult to win at Kinnick Stadium. While it can be easy to get into feuds with them, nothing is ever severe enough to completely hate them. Playing their team is always entertaining though, as it always results in a physical game.

Northwestern- I haven't met anyone in their fanbase, but they have never done anything for me to disrespect them. Easily my second favorite team in the conference, and they will beat you if you don't take them seriously.

Minnesota- Being so far away, I really haven't met any Minnesota fans either. Minnesota tends to be anywhere from mediocre to bad in almost any given sport.

Purdue- They usually have a decent showing in football and basketball, but it seems to depend on how well they are doing in each sport. I never hear to much out of them, but the few that I knew were very loyal.

Illinois- All of the fans that I have met where very nice when I traveled to Champaign. They were having a losing season though, so I don't know how much that factored into it. From what I have seen, they have trouble filling their stadium, which is not very large.

Indiana- I wasn't to impressed with Indiana fans when I went down there. They were very obnoxious, especially considering how poor of a showing they were making on the field and filling in the stadium. I would be surprised if Indiana football ever made it into the top half of the conference for more than one or two years straight. Don't expect much out of them.

Ohio State- They tend to be very drunk and obnoxious, but they do travel VERY well, probably the best in the whole conference. Plan on them taking over any given stadium, though it won't be nearly as noticeable for you guys as you wear red too. If you want an idea of how bad it can get, google search images from the 2009 Michigan vs Ohio State game.

Michigan- Unbearable fanbase. Living in the same town as them makes it that much worse. They do believe that they know everything about everything, and they won't waste a second to praise the incredible education at their school...even though most of them do not and never have attended it. They truly believe they are god's gift to college football, and if they lose, it was because the refs, the time of day, the layout of the field, or the game clock screwed them over. Be prepared to hear "You would have lost to Appalachian State too...they won the Division 1-AA championship the year before."

This only happens to fan bases that let it, NU fans are not selling their tickets to an Ohio State fan in the parking lot...

First, welcome to the forum, MStateu4evr. Make yourself at home.

Second, thanks for the rundown. That's a good first post. As far as Ohio State fans go, they're welcome to visit Lincoln, but they'll never come close to filling our stadium. If they had 25% of the crowd I'd be shocked.

First, welcome to the forum, MStateu4evr. Make yourself at home.

Second, thanks for the rundown. That's a good first post. As far as Ohio State fans go, they're welcome to visit Lincoln, but they'll never come close to filling our stadium. If they had 25% of the crowd I'd be shocked.

Thanks. Yea, I don't really expect it to happen much to you guys. I know you hold down your own stadium very well, and trust me, I know you travel well (I believe you dominated Spartan Stadium during one of our Nick Saban years :lol: ). Ohio State is known for it though, and no matter how hard some try, they always seem to find a way in. Just don't have a losing season and you should be fine ;)

How can a team be so smug and arrogant when they lose to an NU team while NU is at their worst, and lose at home to Appalachian State?!? Is it possible for your team and fanbase to think you are national champions post-season if Richie boy says you are? What does he come out and say? "Hey guys, we went 5-7, but you know, I know, and our fans know, we are the true national champs!" For being such an academically high-statured university, their fans must be flunks or hypnotized when it comes to football. Ask one NU fan how arrogant they were when Billy C and Silly Pudey Steve was running the program into the ground.[/quote]

I dont think one person here could argue the fact that you were pretty darm arrogant until about 1/3 of the way in the 2007 season. Your very right that things did quickly turn after then. I might even give you until the USC game in 07, But going into 07 there was alot of confidence in that team.

You're exactly right Fro. We made the Big 12 Championship game in 2006. We had just recruited Brett Favre away from Arizona State. Many thought 2007 was going to be Clownahan's best team and best chance for a run at a title.

I was one of those guys, but at the same time I was constantly telling my wife that Callahan wasn't a permanent fixture here. It was a weird year, that got more and more weird as the season went on.

Michigan fan here. I'm going to try to be as unbiased as I can here. Let me attempt to review the fan bases on MY personal experiences with them.

Illinois- The Illini fans I've met when they came to the Big House in 08 were fine. BUT when I made the trip to Champagne in '07 and '09. a$$hole$. They get a lead in the game and they'll be a$$hole$ until you take it back. They were ESPECIALLY asses in '07 when they had that rare Rose Bowl year. Illinois fans are okay when the Illini are having an awful season, but when they start winning they turn bad. A majority seem to hate Michigan for some strange reason but then again what other teams fan base doesn't? lol

Indiana- Not much to say here. IU has sucked. Always have. Always will. Basketball school

Iowa- Iowa fans are actually not that bad at all. I've been to Iowa City numerous times and win or lose, they were classy people. They stick by their team win of lose. But you don't beat Iowa at Kinnick in the fall at night. (See Penn State 08)

Michigan State- These people love to drink and hate Michigan. I can understand hating them hating us for Michigan beating up on their team for years. They do get extremely annoying when they are doing somewhat decent during the season. I remember many times MSU had a 4-0 record going into the game vs Michigan and their fans talking tons of crap, Michigan beats them, MSU goes into a downward spiral from until the end of the season and calls for their coaches head. It was especially funny their fans heckling me at the 07 game when we lost to App that year. And Michigan beating MSU 28-24 and not hearing a word from them.

Minnesota- Nice group of people. They know that their team is not in the top of the Big Ten but they stick by them.

Northwestern- When NW has decent seasons their fans get cocky and start talking like their team is the defending BCS champs until the next time you play Northwestern, you bury them, and their fans go back to being silent. More of an academic school BY FAR. Although NW football had a nice season last year and nearly beat an SEC team.

Ohio State- I understand there might be some good fans of OSU but the ones I've had encounters with were pieces of trash. Just like every team has the good fans and the a-hole fans. Maybe they only act this way for Michigan fans, I don't know. Once a Buckeye fan yelled F*CK right in my 7 year old sons face. I've had bottles thrown at me and my two friends in Columbus. Tires slashed, window busted out and food thrown on the hood of my car before (This happened all different visits) On our local news channels they actually tell people who are going down there to the game a list of SAFETY PRECAUTIONS. Now maybe it's just me, but NOBODY should fear attending a f*cking football game! These people are genuine DOUCHEBAGS.

Penn State- They know how to have a hell of a tailgate up in State College, PA. I haven't had one bad experience with PSU fans.

Purdue- Can't really say much with Purdue fans. Never been to West Lafayette but the Purdue fans came in very limited numbers to the games at the Big House

Wisconsin- These guys are loud as hell and make Camp Randall one hell of homefield advantage. Nice fans I've met from there. Not really anything bad to say about Big Red (Badger version)

Michigan fan here. I'm going to try to be as unbiased as I can here. Let me attempt to review the fan bases on MY personal experiences with them.

Illinois- The Illini fans I've met when they came to the Big House in 08 were fine. BUT when I made the trip to Champagne in '07 and '09. a$hole$. They get a lead in the game and they'll be a$hole$ until you take it back. They were ESPECIALLY asses in '07 when they had that rare Rose Bowl year. Illinois fans are okay when the Illini are having an awful season, but when they start winning they turn bad. A majority seem to hate Michigan for some strange reason but then again what other teams fan base doesn't? lol

Indiana- Not much to say here. IU has sucked. Always have. Always will. Basketball school

Iowa- Iowa fans are actually not that bad at all. I've been to Iowa City numerous times and win or lose, they were classy people. They stick by their team win of lose. But you don't beat Iowa at Kinnick in the fall at night. (See Penn State 08)

Michigan State- These people love to drink and hate Michigan. I can understand hating them hating us for Michigan beating up on their team for years. They do get extremely annoying when they are doing somewhat decent during the season. I remember many times MSU had a 4-0 record going into the game vs Michigan and their fans talking tons of crap, Michigan beats them, MSU goes into a downward spiral from until the end of the season and calls for their coaches head. It was especially funny their fans heckling me at the 07 game when we lost to App that year. And Michigan beating MSU 28-24 and not hearing a word from them.

Minnesota- Nice group of people. They know that their team is not in the top of the Big Ten but they stick by them.

Northwestern- When NW has decent seasons their fans get cocky and start talking like their team is the defending BCS champs until the next time you play Northwestern, you bury them, and their fans go back to being silent. More of an academic school BY FAR. Although NW football had a nice season last year and nearly beat an SEC team.

Ohio State- I understand there might be some good fans of OSU but the ones I've had encounters with were pieces of trash. Just like every team has the good fans and the a-hole fans. Maybe they only act this way for Michigan fans, I don't know. Once a Buckeye fan yelled F*CK right in my 7 year old sons face. I've had bottles thrown at me and my two friends in Columbus. Tires slashed, window busted out and food thrown on the hood of my car before (This happened all different visits) On our local news channels they actually tell people who are going down there to the game a list of SAFETY PRECAUTIONS. Now maybe it's just me, but NOBODY should fear attending a f*cking football game! These people are genuine DOUCHEBAGS.

Penn State- They know how to have a hell of a tailgate up in State College, PA. I haven't had one bad experience with PSU fans.

Purdue- Can't really say much with Purdue fans. Never been to West Lafayette but the Purdue fans came in very limited numbers to the games at the Big House

Wisconsin- These guys are loud as hell and make Camp Randall one hell of homefield advantage. Nice fans I've met from there. Not really anything bad to say about Big Red (Badger version)

Welcome to HuskerBoard. Hope you'll stick around and contribute more. Always nice to get an outsider's perspective.

Illinois- The Illini fans I've met when they came to the Big House in 08 were fine. BUT when I made the trip to Champagne in '07 and '09. a$hole$. They get a lead in the game and they'll be a$hole$ until you take it back. They were ESPECIALLY asses in '07 when they had that rare Rose Bowl year. Illinois fans are okay when the Illini are having an awful season, but when they start winning they turn bad. A majority seem to hate Michigan for some strange reason but then again what other teams fan base doesn't? lol

Welcome to HuskerBoard. Hope you'll stick around and contribute more. Always nice to get an outsider's perspective.

Hopefully the Huskers come to the Big "Ten" :)

It's looking that way, isn't it? I'm not opposed to it myself. I'd love to visit The Big House and The Horse Shoe among other places in the Big Ten. Should be fun to watch in the coming years if it comes to fruition.

It's looking that way, isn't it? I'm not opposed to it myself. I'd love to visit The Big House and The Horse Shoe among other places in the Big Ten. Should be fun to watch in the coming years if it comes to fruition.

Perhaps a Nebraska vs Iowa rivalry would emerge? Farm State Rivalry ;)

:lol:

More like the Corn Belt rivalry.

:lol:

More like the Corn Belt rivalry.

:clap I like it! lol

If all happens right, then this would be a pretty interesting decade of Big "Ten" football.