joining big10 coference... would it hurt are recruiting?

It depends on what happens to Tigers and Kansas if they go to the mountain conference we will be able to control those 2 states. One because we will sell the Ohio st, Penn st, Michigan and Iowa games and the other 2 will sell Utah BYU TCU etc.So even if we lose one or 2 from Texas we should control the top five or six from our neighbors.

I think it's something that remains to be seen. Texas fans will have you believe that our recruiting there will completely shut down. I'm not buying that yet. I can see it decreasing some, but as long as Nebraska continues on the upward swing and returns to national prominence, recruiting will take care of itself.

I think we can still have success in Texas, though we are probably talking 2009 success (beating out A&M for Texas recruits) instead of 2011 success (beating out Oklahoma for Texas recruits). That is long term. In the short term, I have to think that Nebraska's crucification by Texas' media puppets and scathing commentary in Texas' editorial pieces are going to hurt recruiting worse than the conference move.

It will be hard to predict how we will do in our new conference recruiting map. Being the new kids and the talk of the media can only help in the short term. Establishing relationships will be what seals it in the long run. I hope we continue to focus on recruiting speed and hopefully the increased exposure will only help to improve already solid (if unspectacular) results in California.

Regarding surrounding states, it partially depends on what happens with other Big XII schools. If MU goes to the Big East or MWC, NU will have an enormous opportunity to increase our presence in a fertile (for the Midwest anyway) recruiting ground.

My question is whether the Big 10 acceptance standards are higher than the Big 12's? Could we lose recruits for that reason?

Most of last years recruits had a 3 plus grade average. I think Bo looking at the grades before offering so I don't think this will be a problem even if the bar is raised

i say no... we continue to recruit well in texas here is some thoughts

1. texas/ok cant land everyone

2. a weakened big 12 might not be as appealing to recruits looking to play in a strong conference......

3. we still hit the area hard and not just throw away our word, friendships and in-roads

4. expand into to other regions but i think continue to hit our strenghts

5. kids will continue to see nebraksa as a top school plahying top talent with major exposure including NY even more if rutgers is included (imagine the pub if the Huskers are on the front page of the NY times sports page!?? crazy

what i really wonder is how our recruiting base would stack up against the big-10 and the recruits pull in///

Nice post. In the end it's still Nebraska so I don't think it will hurt our recruiting one bit. Personally I think all of this Big 10 talk has done nothing but promote Nebraska even more. People know Callahan is gone, Pelini has done wonders with our defense and has Nebraska winning again. Nebraska is no longer a former powerhouse on it's way down. Big 10 membership & publicity=not a bad thing recruiting wise imo.

football season is close, 2.5 months, closer than you think..we probably will not get a big number of recruits from now on till feb..they will trickle in probably, and a few come in feb...one key, if nebraska has a good year, look out...that will just amplify the recruiting. everyone likes a winner. if you look at some of the recruits that we have in the 2011 class, we are stealing some from oklahoma, ohio state , michigan...in the past , we hardly got any recruits that were wanted by those schools...so it shows ya the recruiting (quality) is on the up and up.