joining big10 coference... would it hurt are recruiting?

I don't think we "need" Texas recruiting in any way...and the gains we'd have in Michigan/Ohio/Illinois would certainly make up for any losses in Texas. We can recruit Florida today. We can recruit Cali. We'd still be able to recruit Texas, but, I'm sure it would have somewhat of a negative impact. In regards to Texas recruiting not much positive can come of joining the Big10. I've read a lot of articles where someone interviews a Texas recruit after visiting NU and they mention that even if they went to NU they would be playing close to home a couple times a year so their family could still make it to games.

That goes a long ways. Even if a kid remains in Texas...their family more than likely will only get to see them play live a couple times a year. Most families just can't afford to go to 6-7 games a year. So currently, there really isn't that much of a difference between playing for NU and playing for A&M for a lot of these kids. However, once in Big 10 the number of times you're family gets to see you play "live" is greatly reduced. The counter to this argument is that the number of times your family will get to see you play on TV will be greatly increased.

How often do we lose kids to homesickness? Seems like 1 or 2 drop every year. Playing in the Big10 would comletely seperate these Texas kids from everything they've associated football with their entire life. Imagine saying to a kid...draw a line from the east coast directly to Lincoln. Then draw a line from Lincoln to Canada. This is the world you'll live in from now on. Kind of isolating.

I don't think we "need" Texas recruiting in any way...and the gains we'd have in Michigan/Ohio/Illinois would certainly make up for any losses in Texas. We can recruit Florida today. We can recruit Cali. We'd still be able to recruit Texas, but, I'm sure it would have somewhat of a negative impact. In regards to Texas recruiting not much positive can come of joining the Big10. I've read a lot of articles where someone interviews a Texas recruit after visiting NU and they mention that even if they went to NU they would be playing close to home a couple times a year so their family could still make it to games.

That goes a long ways. Even if a kid remains in Texas...their family more than likely will only get to see them play live a couple times a year. Most families just can't afford to go to 6-7 games a year. So currently, there really isn't that much of a difference between playing for NU and playing for A&M for a lot of these kids. However, once in Big 10 the number of times you're family gets to see you play "live" is greatly reduced. The counter to this argument is that the number of times your family will get to see you play on TV will be greatly increased.

How often do we lose kids to homesickness? Seems like 1 or 2 drop every year. Playing in the Big10 would comletely seperate these Texas kids from everything they've associated football with their entire life. Imagine saying to a kid...draw a line from the east coast directly to Lincoln. Then draw a line from Lincoln to Canada. This is the world you'll live in from now on. Kind of isolating.

This is a great argument :thumbs One big concern I have is that we could have the same 'homesickness' from kids from Ohio and Michigan that we get from kids from Texas. I think people underestimate how far Big Ten country actually is from Nebraska.

Also, has anyone thought of how this move could affect our traveling fanbase? I know we are known to travel well, but the closest away games are in Columbia or Iowa city.

For the sake of perspective, as of today, I've counted the following in 2011 offers so far:

26 Texas Offers

15 Big Ten Offers

6 Big East Offers

33 ACC/SEC Offers

10 Big 12 Offers (minus Texas)

19 Pac-10/WAC/MWC Offers

Just for clarification, these are our offers in the Big Ten region, Big East region, etc??

Yes

No way. You're saying that we've made 33 offers in the ACC/SEC area, and only 10 in OK, MO, IA, KS and NEBRASKA?? And we've made over 100 offers for 2011? Or does "our" offers means something other the Nebraska Huskers?

These have got to be the number of offers that all schools in these conferences have made, with no bearing on where the kids are from. Very little relevance to the conversation except that we can see that Texas cherry picks some very good talent early, though the leave those who want to go elsewhere, are good enough to make a difference, or that Texas has misjudged.

These are the offers for all the kids we are going after. We being Nebraska. How is it hard to believe we have offered more players from the very fertile ACC/SEC area than from the not very fertile Non-Texas Big XII area? As has been stated multiple times we recruit nationally.

This is my biggest concern with the talk of expansion. If we can go to the Big Ten and still recruit the same areas as successfully as we currently do, then I am fine with that. My worry is that a kid from Texas may not want to go to play at Penn St or Ohio St because his family cant travel to those places to see him play as easily as they could if he played in Waco, College Station, Austin, Lubbuck, Stillwater, OKC, etc.

Recruting might actually pick up a click or two because of the exposure that would come with the TV contract the big 10 has in place, along with the big 10 network and how much ESPN loves the big 10. Kids all across the nation would see nebraska playing and winning in a conference with some of the toughest competition.

For the sake of perspective, as of today, I've counted the following in 2011 offers so far:

26 Texas Offers

15 Big Ten Offers

6 Big East Offers

33 ACC/SEC Offers

19 Pac-10/WAC/MWC Offers

Just for clarification, these are our offers in the Big Ten region, Big East region, etc??

Yes

No way. You're saying that we've made 33 offers in the ACC/SEC area, and only 10 in OK, MO, IA, KS and NEBRASKA?? And we've made over 100 offers for 2011? Or does "our" offers means something other the Nebraska Huskers?

These have got to be the number of offers that all schools in these conferences have made, with no bearing on where the kids are from. Very little relevance to the conversation except that we can see that Texas cherry picks some very good talent early, though the leave those who want to go elsewhere, are good enough to make a difference, or that Texas has misjudged.

These are the offers for all the kids we are going after. We being Nebraska. How is it hard to believe we have offered more players from the very fertile ACC/SEC area than from the not very fertile Non-Texas Big XII area? As has been stated multiple times we recruit nationally.

correctomundo.

Also, has anyone thought of how this move could affect our traveling fanbase? I know we are known to travel well, but the closest away games are in Columbia or Iowa city.

The die-hards will still travel, but I'm sure some regular joe from Nebraska would much rather head to the warmth of Dallas in November than deal with the start of winter in Ann Arbor. A lot of Nebraskans use Husker games as a reason to 'vacation'. Not sure there would be that same draw throughout the Big10, though the campuses and locations are beautiful I'm sure.

Personally, if I was going to go to a game for just the game and not the beach/pool and other stuff that goes along w/ the trip...I would take a Big10 game over almost every Big12 game any Saturday of the season. Norman would be hard to beat...but I'd love to see the Huskers play in Ann Arbor, or South Bend.

Even the games against your 'so-called' bottom dwellers offer a great destination. You aren't going to Manhattan (KS), Waco, OK City, College Station, Lawrence, Aims, Columbia (prolly would still have that trip). You're going to Chicago, Minneapolis, Madison, Columbus, Bloomington, Lafayette. It's not warm, but why leave the country (Nebraska) to head to the prarie? There is far more of a draw to Big10 destinations IMHO. Husker fans could take over magnificent mile in Chicago before a Northwestern game.

26 Texas Offers

15 Big Ten Offers

6 Big East Offers

33 ACC/SEC Offers

19 Pac-10/WAC/MWC Offers

Yes

I'm still surprised the numbers are that large for that far away, but I guess I'm wrong. In reality I'll bet a lot of those southeast recruits have us low on their list if we're on at all, so we don't invest a whole lot of effort unless they do show interest.

i say no... we continue to recruit well in texas here is some thoughts

1. texas/ok cant land everyone

2. a weakened big 12 might not be as appealing to recruits looking to play in a strong conference......

3. we still hit the area hard and not just throw away our word, friendships and in-roads

4. expand into to other regions but i think continue to hit our strenghts

5. kids will continue to see nebraksa as a top school plahying top talent with major exposure including NY even more if rutgers is included (imagine the pub if the Huskers are on the front page of the NY times sports page!?? crazy

what i really wonder is how our recruiting base would stack up against the big-10 and the recruits pull in///

2. a weakened big 12 might not be as appealing to recruits looking to play in a strong conference......

3. we still hit the area hard and not just throw away our word, friendships and in-roads

5. kids will continue to see nebraksa as a top school plahying top talent with major exposure including NY even more if rutgers is included (imagine the pub if the Huskers are on the front page of the NY times sports page!?? crazy

what i really wonder is how our recruiting base would stack up against the big-10 and the recruits pull in///

A weakened Big12 - something I'd never really thought about. Good post. We would certainly have a unique recruiting base as far as the Big10 is concerned. We wouldn't have to fight Michigan/Ohio St. for the 4&5* players up there. Outside of Missouri, we'd be the only ones really recruiting Kansas/Texas/Oklahoma to the Big10. We'd be a niche product. Might be an easier sell. If you'd like to play in the tradition-rich Big10, Nebraska is your first and most logical choice.

A weakened Big12 - something I'd never really thought about. Good post. We would certainly have a unique recruiting base as far as the Big10 is concerned. We wouldn't have to fight Michigan/Ohio St. for the 4&5* players up there. Outside of Missouri, we'd be the only ones really recruiting Kansas/Texas/Oklahoma to the Big10. We'd be a niche product. Might be an easier sell. If you'd like to play in the tradition-rich Big10, Nebraska is your first and most logical choice.

If we win like this report thinks we will we shouldn't lose a step

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/391002-big-ten-expansion-power-rankings-if-nd-nebraska-mizzou-and-rutgers-jo

If we win like this report thinks we will we shouldn't lose a step

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/391002-big-ten-expansion-power-rankings-if-nd-nebraska-mizzou-and-rutgers-jo

damn.... well i dont know about all of that.. .just because we dont know about all of that and i'm sure if we make it the big-10 we will have a whole new lot of charecters on the team and expectations... plus you never know the rise and fall's that occur in college football in these 5-10 year cycles that we have been having (speaking of which isnt USC's about up??)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We'll have to keep a close eye on TX recruiting in the coming months as the rumors continue to swirl. At the least it's a negative that the local schools can spin against us. It's hard enough to recruit in that state.

my thoughts on recruiting, and i am no expert, is that if you win, you can recruit..last years 1 point loss, or robery in some minds,,,helped immensly in recruiting....goes to show ya, you can win without all the 5 star players....the star system is very subjective.