Greetings from Missouri. What We're Hearing from about Expansion...

Here's what I've heard from some of my inside sources (and I worked in MU's AD for some time).

Mizzou

Nebraska

Rutgers and

Syracuse

will all be a part of the new Big 10 (or whatever it will be called).

The reason why there's been no announcement is they're still trying to recruit ND or UT to join the party. The conference doesn't want a public rejection; thus, everything is hush hush until they get their answer from those two programs.

Personal thought... no way UT goes. We know those clowns. It's more likely that they'll start their own network. In fact, an article just came out in which their AD stated as much. They have so many TV sets in their state; I don't blame them.

It would make sense for ND to join. I know they have a nice little package. But with every year, their prestige slips. Kids these days have no idea how good they used to be. And with most of their rivals in the Big 10, it would make sense. In all likelihood, they could over time make as much. I don't know that NBC will continue to reup their TV contract... considering their numbers slip every year.

If ND and UT decline, I have no confirmation who else is being discussed.

I'm thinking Pitt.

Thought I'd further stoke the conversation. Either way, I'm looking forward to continuing our rivalry in the new conference.

It's an absolute smokescreen. The only southern team he'd like is UT. Who else is available? Answer: No one.

Delaney is going about this correctly, which is no surprise. The dude is smart... look at what he's done with the Big 10 and their network; they were bottom or the barrel just a few years ago. Now, they're rolling.

From my sources, they're just waiting on trying to talk UT or ND into the deal. Nothing is official, which is why Jimmy Boy can talk through his teeth and say nothing is happening.

I don't know that this is true... but on our MU Rivals site, our publisher thinks they'll make an announcement by July. Now, I think that's a tad early, but we'll see. I really think the Big 10 wants ND, and they'll do everything they can to get them, including putting this on hold... after all, what's a few more months... even if its 8 or so. In the long run, it's well worth it.

It's an absolute smokescreen. The only southern team he'd like is UT. Who else is available? Answer: No one.

Delaney is going about this correctly, which is no surprise. The dude is smart... look at what he's done with the Big 10 and their network; they were bottom or the barrel just a few years ago. Now, they're rolling.

From my sources, they're just waiting on trying to talk UT or ND into the deal. Nothing is official, which is why Jimmy Boy can talk through his teeth and say nothing is happening.

I don't know that this is true... but on our MU Rivals site, our publisher thinks they'll make an announcement by July. Now, I think that's a tad early, but we'll see. I really think the Big 10 wants ND, and they'll do everything they can to get them, including putting this on hold... after all, what's a few more months... even if its 8 or so. In the long run, it's well worth it.

At least we have something else to talk about during the summer.

Can't remember where I read it, but I find it funny that supposedly UT applied for acceptance into the Big Ten, but was denied? I think this was when Penn State was accepted or maybe sometime after that? Either way it's funny to think that the Big Ten is now pursuing them. While I understand the reasons for it, I'd be surprised if UT accepted. Maybe UT would like nothing more than to snub the Big Ten this time around for getting snubbed the last time perhaps? Needless to say, UT has more than enough $$ and clout in the Big 12 to stay put.

ND on the other hand would be a logical fit. They just better hope Kelly can turn the program around, otherwise their value will continue to plummet even further and their status as an independent will no longer mean anything if people aren't tuning in to watch, which would be another reason to seriously consider joining a conference now before it's too late. Just my opinion anyway.

My train of thought: They're still pursuing ND despite the fact that ND loves their independence and has a really sweet deal going for them right now, so I'm thinking the Big 10 may be prepared to do something big enough to make ND consider it. And if they can pull something big enough to make ND consider making the jump, maybe it's something that would even attract the likes of Texas despite their current situation. Just a though

My train of thought: They're still pursuing ND despite the fact that ND loves their independence and has a really sweet deal going for them right now, so I'm thinking the Big 10 may be prepared to do something big enough to make ND consider it. And if they can pull something big enough to make ND consider making the jump, maybe it's something that would even attract the likes of Texas despite their current situation. Just a though

Funny you mentioned this. There's a thread at another board where I lurk and supposedly this guy received an e-mail from a so-called "legit source" that said that ND would seriously consider joining if Nebraska and Texas joined.

Furthermore, a Texas sports writer earlier this week (or late last week?) made a remark in one of his articles that he was trying to find out why certain ND officials were at UT this week and what the discussion was about? Rumors down there was it might be about expansion?

Needless to say, it's all a bunch of speculation at this point. It's fun to follow the developments though.

Funny you mentioned this. There's a thread at another board where I lurk and supposedly this guy received an e-mail from a so-called "legit source" that said that ND would seriously consider joining if Nebraska and Texas joined.

Furthermore, a Texas sports writer earlier this week (or late last week?) made a remark in one of his articles that he was trying to find out why certain ND officials were at UT this week and what the discussion was about? Rumors down there was it might be about expansion?

Needless to say, it's all a bunch of speculation at this point. It's fun to follow the developments though.

That's really interesting about the ND officials in Texas. That makes it sound some realllllly big things may happen

Dancin' Girls?

Barcelona-Dancing-Girls-04.jpg

You know Bob that's great point about waiting to entice Texas or ND into joining. You flood the news with rumors of 2 members of your northern confernce leaving and it gets you thinking about options. Similar to ND looking at losing their big east setup. I wish Texas would just say no so we can leave them in the dust.

I never would have dreamed they'd go after Texas, or that Texas would be interested. I can see why they would, just didn't think they'd do it.

Adding Texas, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Missouri and Rutgers/Syracuse (they'd only take one) would be a brilliant move on the part of the Big 10.

They'd be a powerhouse conference in just about every sport imaginable with that lineup...

I'm hoping Texas says no and Notre Dame holds out. I believe we are in consideration primarily to create a handful of must see football games each season. We are a borderline Big Ten school otherwise. If the Big Ten can woo ND and UT, we become less important. What we bring is what ND brings, only less-so and without the academic prestige. We could be on the outside looking in. :hellloooo

I truly beleive that we are on the verge of beating Texas more often then losing to them. Even in our down years we played them close. I would love to see them in the Big Ten and in our division so we would play them every year.

One thing that bothers me about leaving for the Big Ten is that people will say we are running from Texas.