If the Big 10 expands to 16

Kansas is infinitely more likely than Oklahoma. Given no Texas or ND I would like to see Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Rutgers and Pitt. Substitute ND for Pitt or Texas/AM for Pitt/Kansas if you can actually land either of them.

Home run would be NE, Missouri, Texas, A&M, ND

Kansas is infinitely more likely than Oklahoma. Given no Texas or ND I would like to see Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Rutgers and Pitt. Substitute ND for Pitt or Texas/AM for Pitt/Kansas if you can actually land either of them.

:yeah

With that in mind, this is how I'd divide it up using the pod system.

Quadrant A

Missouri

Nebraska

Texas

Texas A&M

Quadrant B

Illinois

Iowa

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Quadrant C

Indiana

Northwestern

Ohio St.

Penn St.

Quadrant D

Michigan

Michigan St.

Notre Dame

Purdue

Quadrant A

Missouri

Nebraska

Texas

Texas A&M

Quadrant B

Illinois

Iowa

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Quadrant C

Indiana

Northwestern

Ohio St.

Penn St.

Quadrant D

Michigan

Michigan St.

Notre Dame

Purdue

I'd swap Mizzou and Iowa along with Ohio St. and ND.

Quadrant A

Missouri

Nebraska

Texas

Texas A&M

Quadrant B

Illinois

Iowa

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Quadrant C

Indiana

Northwestern

Ohio St.

Penn St.

Quadrant D

Michigan

Michigan St.

Notre Dame

Purdue

I'd swap Mizzou and Iowa along with Ohio St. and ND.

My thinking was that the old Big 12 remnants would fit in a pod for continuity. Same with Quadrant B.

Ohio St. and Michigan would be a locked in rivalry regardless, so being in separate pods wouldn't affect it. Plus it gives each pod 2 power teams for the sake of balance.

Another thing too is that ND can still play Purdue, Michigan and Michigan St. regularly. Therefore it'd give ND continuity within their pod since they already schedule those teams as an Independent.

Quadrant A

Missouri

Nebraska

Texas

Texas A&M

Quadrant B

Illinois

Iowa

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Quadrant C

Indiana

Northwestern

Ohio St.

Penn St.

Quadrant D

Michigan

Michigan St.

Notre Dame

Purdue

I don't think that four new teams would be in one Quadrant. If they have 5 new teams not more then 2 new teams in each Quadrant is most likely. Hell what happens if they take just 3 Texas ND NU

Quadrant A

Missouri

Nebraska

Texas

Texas A&M

Quadrant B

Illinois

Iowa

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Quadrant C

Indiana

Northwestern

Ohio St.

Penn St.

Quadrant D

Michigan

Michigan St.

Notre Dame

Purdue

I don't think that four new teams would be in one Quadrant. If they have 5 new teams not more then 2 new teams in each Quadrant is most likely. Hell what happens if they take just 3 Texas ND NU

I'm looking at it from two angles.

1-- Geography

2-- Continuity

Geographically speaking Quadrant A makes the most sense. For the most part the way all the Quadrants are aligned I created it with geography in mind. Northwestern is a bit of the odd man out in their pod geographically speaking compared to everyone else, but it's not enough for them to raise hell about it since they're already making those trips regularly anyway.

Continuity is more for the sake of the Big 12 remnants. Since we're the new kids on the block and we've been playing each other at least semi-regularly for the past 14 years now, it only makes sense to just pair up and continue where we left off.

I would guess that they would not have more than 2 new teams in a pod since they will want to integrate the new teams into the conference and allow them to create new rivalries with existing members. A pod with only new teams creates too much of an us vs. them mentality. I still think Nebraska ends up in the Iowa/Wisky/Minny pod given proximity to Iowa and Minny and current ties to Wisky with the coaches but I will admit that might just be my wishful thinking. I would also be shocked if they don't keep Ohio State and Michigan together with Michigan State.

I might try something like this:

A

Michigan

Ohio State

Michigan State

Notre Dame

B

Iowa

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Nebraska

C

Illinois

Missouri

Indiana

Northwestern

D

Texas

A&M

Penn State

Purdue

You need to give both Texas and Notre Dame some power teams in their pod to entice them to come and there is enough power in the conference that you don't really have to worry about balance too much. Also since the pods are only for football (basketball playing more games would allow a simple east/west split with still playing every team a minimum of 2x in 4 years) you don't have to worry quite so much about geography. Texas and AM are going to be flying to their football games regardless (same with PSU) so having them in the same pod doesn't really affect their travel and gives them a nice big name for each other. Pods A and D (and B/C) are the opposing pods that never end up in the same division. You could also go with A/B as opposing pods and still be fine power wise.

Pod C looks the weakest given recent history but NW and Illinois are both capable of winning the B10 some years and Missouri shows flashes as well sometimes.

I would guess that they would not have more than 2 new teams in a pod since they will want to integrate the new teams into the conference and allow them to create new rivalries with existing members. A pod with only new teams creates too much of an us vs. them mentality. I still think Nebraska ends up in the Iowa/Wisky/Minny pod given proximity to Iowa and Minny and current ties to Wisky with the coaches but I will admit that might just be my wishful thinking. I would also be shocked if they don't keep Ohio State and Michigan together with Michigan State.

I might try something like this:

A

Michigan

Ohio State

Michigan State

Notre Dame

B

Iowa

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Nebraska

C

Illinois

Missouri

Indiana

Northwestern

D

Texas

A&M

Penn State

Purdue

You need to give both Texas and Notre Dame some power teams in their pod to entice them to come and there is enough power in the conference that you don't really have to worry about balance too much. Also since the pods are only for football (basketball playing more games would allow a simple east/west split with still playing every team a minimum of 2x in 4 years) you don't have to worry quite so much about geography. Texas and AM are going to be flying to their football games regardless (same with PSU) so having them in the same pod doesn't really affect their travel and gives them a nice big name for each other. Pods A and D (and B/C) are the opposing pods that never end up in the same division. You could also go with A/B as opposing pods and still be fine power wise.

Pod C looks the weakest given recent history but NW and Illinois are both capable of winning the B10 some years and Missouri shows flashes as well sometimes.

Oh c'mon Caven, that'd never work. insertsarcasm.gif

It's an interesting configuration nonetheless.

If you have 6 of the all time top college football teams in your conference, you would not put 3 in one division. Since no way in hell will they spilt Ohio St and Michigan. That would leave Texas and ND in the same division since it has been reported they want to play each other every year. The Black and Blue division maybe the hard one to win NU Iowa Wisconsin and Minnesota on annually basis. Pen St group would be the easy one due to the fact they may add 2 eastern teams if they can leave A&M in the Big 12