Can the Blackshirts hold to single digits this year?

The big problem is going to be our OOC schedule. I can see Idaho, Washington and Western Kentucky dropping more than the 25 we got in our OOC last season.

I think we'll beat the 17 and 20 we ran into versus Kansas and Colorado. Texas shouldn't score much more than Oklahoma did. Oklahoma State will probably be similar to last year's Baylor. I can also see similarities between Tech and A&M. This means that really we just need to worry about our KSU, Missouri and OOC performances to end up with a similar product in terms of statistics.

2009 Blackshirts were #1 scoring defense in the nation at 10.43 pts per game.

There’s talk that this years Blackshirts will be better. So is there any way we hold to less than 10 pts/game---that we have a single digit defense? USC did it a couple of years back.

I’m skeptical. I think we will be good. But maybe not better than last year. We’ll prolly be a bit better at corner (we were great last year), but I think we drop off a a bit at D-line, safety and maybe LB. I’m a big fan of Crick, but he is no Suh. And we’re are gonna miss Dillard more than we realize. On the other hand, since this is our second year at Peso as our base D maybe our team play improves.

Will not have to, the offense will answer the call this year, if not there goes the dream season!

I seriously doubt it. Last years PPG Ave was astonding. What many fail to realize though, is that the offensive shift at mid season was designed to enable that stat. It is at least as difficult to keep a good PPG with an all or nothing offense (circa NU 07) as it is with an extreme controlled offense that is ineffectual. At least with 3 and outs, you can play a field position game (if you have a good punter) and burn up the clock.

In the husker haydays Mcbride had a goal of 12 PPG for his blackshirts, he obviouly figured Tom would find a way to score 13 pts or better. His stats were helped out by a ball controll offense but sometimes that offense scored way quicker then anticipated which ultimately put the ball in the other teams hands more often. The point is, a great offense can sometimes be a double edged sword.

Bottom line, holding opponents to 10-15 PPG would be a great feat and almost surely would lead to a BCS appearance type season as it would hopefully entail some success on the offensive side of the ball.

I'm not sold an UW being such a force to be reckoned with yet, especially with a god awful o-line that they have. Our defense could do it if they play like they did last year, then add some playmaking linebackers into that mix. :bonez

RB Chris Polk Rushed for 1019 yds on 204 carries. The line returns 4 out of 5 starters who collectively have 85 starts among them, and we're bringing in the top OLman from the state of California. They aren't necessarily All-Americans, but "god awful"? I would stay skeptical until the clock reads zeros.

There are a lot of factors to consider here, don't forget that NU's D allowed 10 or fewer points eight times last year, and even more impressively they held teams to a FG or less five times. That's a pretty herculean task to duplicate if you ask me. Below I listed our 2010 FBS opponents PPG, and their nat. rankings. I have to say on the surface they aren't very impressive, but if you also consider that six of the teams we play have a returning starter at QB, seven if you count Coffman at KSU, and you have to assume that some of those teams will have improved offenses next season.

IDAHO- 20.4 (104)

WASHINGTON- 32.7 (20)

KANSAS ST.- 23.0 (87)

TEXAS- 39.3 (3)

OKLA. ST.- 28.4 (56)

MISSOURI- 29.0 (49)

IOWA ST.- 20.5 (103)

KANSAS- 29.4 (42)

TEXAS A&M- 32.8 (19)

COLORADO- 22.3 (91)

Who knows, really it's kind of a crap shot anyway you look at it. A few busted plays here and there can make a big difference in your over all ranking. I think if the Husker D can remain steady in the yardage allowed categories, increase their turn over margin, and the offense improves their 75th place PPG ranking even a little, then it shouldn't matter if the D allows 5, 10, or 15 points a game because they won't have to deal with the same 'stop them or we lose' pressure they faced a year ago. A better T.O.P. from 30 min. to closer to the 34 minutes NU had in 2008 wouldn't hurt either.

I think one has to keep in mind that last year our offense sucked hind titty, so our #1 D was out there for all of the game. It will be almost impossible to mirror the stats from last year if our offense shows any kind of pulse at all because then our second and third teamers will see quite a bit of action. It's kind of like saying our offense under Clownahan was good because they put up points late in the third and fourth quarter against opposing teams cheerleaders and soccor moms. I highly doubt we'll have as good of defensive stats this year because I have faith our offense will score enough points to create some blowouts which will create playing opportunities for the 2-4 teamers which will diminish our defensive stats.

Honestly, last year was a rare effort.

We could field a better team and a better D this year and give up more points per game. I'm thinking if it's under 15, we should be pretty, no, really happy. We'll score more than that.

Texas shouldn't score much more than OU? Didn't they score 3 in that game? We had some ridiculous games last year. 9-7. 10-3. etc.

I think one has to keep in mind that last year our offense sucked hind titty, so our #1 D was out there for all of the game. It will be almost impossible to mirror the stats from last year if our offense shows any kind of pulse at all because then our second and third teamers will see quite a bit of action. It's kind of like saying our offense under Clownahan was good because they put up points late in the third and fourth quarter against opposing teams cheerleaders and soccor moms. I highly doubt we'll have as good of defensive stats this year because I have faith our offense will score enough points to create some blowouts which will create playing opportunities for the 2-4 teamers which will diminish our defensive stats.

Excellent post.

You bet, with anything than another DOA offense our defense gets to rest and get some experience for the subs. Sure that will hurt the defensive stats (just like our mid 90's teams) but will be great for the program.

And yes, it's so nice that now our "highlights" aren't scoring points in the 4th qtr down four or five TDs vs their subs.

Let's also remember that we faced six or seven first-year starting QBs last season, so it's not like the 2009 D was going up against a bunch of savvy QBs.

Also, Bo didn't say the defense would be five times better. He said the team would be five times better. Some TV guy covering the Holiday Bowl misquoted Bo and people have been running with that ever since.

Also, Bo didn't say the defense would be five times better. He said the team would be five times better. Some TV guy covering the Holiday Bowl misquoted Bo and people have been running with that ever since.

Hmm, very interesting. Thanks for clearing that up.

Oh well, at least we can look forward to a better offense. Lots of room for improvement there!