Big Ten

jimk

While there would be little or no effect in the short term, in the long term the worth of your degree is likely to go up should UNL become a B10 school. I base this view on a colleague who attended Stanford before it became the top-ten school it is today (it was largely unknown back in the day, he says). Now, when people find out that he's a Stanford grad, they have no idea that his education was of a lesser quality that that of more recent grads. In sum: twenty years from now, if UNL is hanging with the likes of Michigan, Northwestern, and Wisconsin, all UNL grads will benefit from the improved academic reputation of their alma mater.

While there would be little or no effect in the short term, in the long term the worth of your degree is likely to go up should UNL become a B10 school. I base this view on a colleague who attended Stanford before it became the top-ten school it is today (it was largely unknown back in the day, he says). Now, when people find out that he's a Stanford grad, they have no idea that his education was of a lesser quality that that of more recent grads. In sum: twenty years from now, if UNL is hanging with the likes of Michigan, Northwestern, and Wisconsin, all UNL grads will benefit from the improved academic reputation of their alma mater.

would this include the one I bought from the pawn store. Or do you think I need to earn it? If you say earn it I'm screwed :(

would this include the one I bought from the pawn store. Or do you think I need to earn it? If you say earn it I'm screwed :(

Didn't you **earn** the money to buy the diploma?

Nothing about joining the Big Ten will make Nebraska a stronger academic university. It won't mean more funding for research or faculty salaries, better applicants, or anything like that. The Big Ten is strictly an athletic association.

The academic reputation of Nebraska might improve, since some people will reason (incorrectly) that: Nebraska is a Big Ten School. Big Ten Schools have a certain level of academic prowess. Therefore, Nebraska matches up with this level.

On the flip side, some people might start seeing Nebraska as "The Big Ten School that sucks academically compared to all of the other Big Ten Schools." Having stronger universities around Nebraska may make it stick out in a not-so-desired way.

Nothing about joining the Big Ten will make Nebraska a stronger academic university. It won't mean more funding for research or faculty salaries, better applicants, or anything like that. The Big Ten is strictly an athletic association.

The academic reputation of Nebraska might improve, since some people will reason (incorrectly) that: Nebraska is a Big Ten School. Big Ten Schools have a certain level of academic prowess. Therefore, Nebraska matches up with this level.

On the flip side, some people might start seeing Nebraska as "The Big Ten School that sucks academically compared to all of the other Big Ten Schools." Having stronger universities around Nebraska may make it stick out in the wrong sort of way.

You couldn't be more wrong on the subject, admission into the Big 10, and the cic (http://www.cic.net/Home.aspx) would mean research dollars and improvement in perception of the academic quality of the university.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2010/may/23/academic-upgrade-the-key/

The greater impact, though, has been felt on the school’s campus in State College. One of the great luxuries in joining the Big Ten is its association with the league’s academic counterpart, the Committee on Institutional Cooperation, whose members share academic resources and programs while benefiting from more than $6 billion in funded research. In 2008, Penn State spent $701 million on research and development, almost 50 percent of which was funded by the federal government through the partnership with the CIC. Of the nine public institutions with the biggest research budgets in 2008, five came from the Big Ten, according to the National Science Foundation, including Penn State at No. 8.

All of which goes back to academics, Jordan’s initial infatuation with the Big Ten. It was, after all, officially known as the Intercollegiate Conference of Faculty Representatives until 1987.

On the flip side, some people might start seeing Nebraska as "The Big Ten School that sucks academically compared to all of the other Big Ten Schools." Having stronger universities around Nebraska may make it stick out in a not-so-desired way.

There's always a bottom man on the totem pole. And Nebraska is working hard to improve academics, including the creation of a large research campus, which breaks ground this year. We're behind, but not far behind. And with our share of CIC money, we'll be able to catch up quickly. Look what Penn State did after they joined the Big 10.