Huge seasons?

We've all talked about the hopes we have for the improvement in QB play. Aside from the quarterback, which player or position do y'all think we need to see tremendous play from this season?

My pick on offense is O-Line. I feel they did admirably last season, but with less mobile qbs and only 1 with any significant college level experience these guys must protect the quarterback. Being able to open up some holes if/when we struggle to move the ball through the air and when we need to run some clock is also going to be key.

My pick on defense is whoever we put at the weak-side DE. Mobile qbs, experienced qbs, pass happy qbs...they're all on the slate. If we can get some serious production out of this new alignment then that'll take a ton of pressure off the young secondary and linebackers too for that matter. Being able to contain the likes of Brad Smith will also be important. I miss the days of experienced quarterbacks getting rattled and whining after the game about how mean our players were under the pile. I remember, i think it was 94, when we played KSU and their qb Chad May i believe was sacked 6 times and after the game complained about poor sportsmanship in the pile at the hands of Connealy and Co.

Lets make them all look like a bunch of sallies :box

I think the secondary. We're replacing some great "talent", which may not equate to great "teammates." The new guys don't have a lot of experience. Bullocks is really our only experienced safety, and Grixby is the only one w/experience at corner. I hope the newcomers (Wilson/Green/Bowman/Jackson) can gel the secondary, and I hope they get help from the front 7, or we may be in trouble quite a bit this season.

Going one step further, we need a solid and stingy defensive unit in general. Pass rush and coverage broke down last year...and a new linebacking corps needs to come in and make an impact-containing QB's, stopping the run, and dropping into coverage. We really need an agressive Defense that keeps us in games and gives the offense a chance to gel and produce. I cant wait the see the 'Shirts this year, we will be back in black! :horns2

The key thing is that this year we have a team that wants to play for this staff.. Pelini is not disrupting the players. We have no malcontents it appears. I will take less talent and no experience with players that give 110% all the time rather than those that quit during the season like last year.

I think its a given that QB will improve with fewer INTs and more completions. Also, the running game will be stronger. That brings up the defense. It doesn't do us any good to score a few more points if our pass defense ends up 100 something in the nation again!

The D-line MUST improve. The DE's (Carriker and Moore) and DT's (Smith and Adams) MUST put on a pass rush or at least hurry the QB's. If they don't, we will have long afternoons against ISU, TT, MU and CU. Their QB's will eventually burn our inexperienced secondary. Even the switch to a zone defense won't help.

It always amazes me that a bunch of internet geeks kno more than coaches that have been doing this for their whole lives, coached in the Super Bowl, wear Super Bowl rings, coached NFL MVP's, NFL number one draft picks, taken teams to the Rose Bowl and won. Time for you guys to get new jobs obviously, you should be doing theirs I am sure.

As stated before, I think QB play must improve. We cannot throw more int's than td's. That is just horrid in a passing offense. I think with improved qb play it keeps the offense rolling and on the field longer. That helps the defense get some rest and not have to defend against a short field time and time again.

:yeah

The better care the offense takes of the ball will snowball into how much better the defense will play, in terms of being rested and ready. If Taylor has a low interception total and the defense isn't always on their heels and tired, then it gives the team a chance to be in all of the games.