something we Husker fans will have to learn...

From everything I've read and heard the last few days, Big 10 schools are far more supportive of each other than the Big 12 ever was. As Husker fans do you think it will be hard and/or strange to cheer for other teams in our conference?

For me personally, I'm so excited about this, the new venues, traditions, etc., that I can't wait to support my conference! And I gotta say, never did I cheer for Missouri, CU, or K-State, regardless of their opponent in a bowl game.

I think that has to more with them being the SEC's bitch for so long now....

I seriously doubt that, but one things FOR SURE, you know all about being someone's bitch for so long.

You'll ALWAYS be thinking about NU. One of the biggest days in your school's history and your on an Nebraska board......we understand, NU's bitch.

I have always been a big supporter of the Big Ten schools when they play out of the conference. When I saw Northwestern lose to Auburn last year I honestly felt sick almost like my Hawks had lost. That being said--being from Iowa it's going to be hard to cheer for Nebraska. It will take some time I'm sure but eventually I will be glued to my big screen cheering for the Huskers to beat some media hyped SEC or west coast team.

From everything I've read and heard the last few days, Big 10 schools are far more supportive of each other than the Big 12 ever was. As Husker fans do you think it will be hard and/or strange to cheer for other teams in our conference?

For me personally, I'm so excited about this, the new venues, traditions, etc., that I can't wait to support my conference! And I gotta say, never did I cheer for Missouri, CU, or K-State, regardless of their opponent in a bowl game.

wait . . . these two teams go to bowl games?? :rollin

That was the first thing I told my in-laws and friends that have always tried to get me to cheer for the Huskers - at least now I will be cheering for the Huskers at lesat 5 games a year. Will probably end up being more because if they are in our division like I expect I will also have to cheer for them in all cross division games as well so we can prove that our division is the best :)

There is one MAJOR exception to that. Ohio St. vs UM, now those two really do HATE each other. Most Buckeye fans can't even bring themselves to say the word Michigan, to quote Woody, "it's that state up north."

We didn't really hate anyone (us and OU always had a mutual respect for each other) until CU back in the 80's decided to just pick a fight with us. We just got tired of all of Texas's bullying.

It always seemed logical to me to support the schools in my conference in their games. I've always rooted for Oklahoma to win every game they play - except when they play us. In OOC and Bowl games, I'm always hoping the teams from my conference win. The better they do, the better my conference looks, and the better my team looks when we win the conference.

There is one MAJOR exception to that. Ohio St. vs UM, now those two really do HATE each other. Most Buckeye fans can't even bring themselves to say the word Michigan, to quote Woody, "it's that state up north."

I've always cheered big 12 when they were playing out of conference...with the exception of CU...never once have I, or will I, ever root for CU...but I will continue to root for a lot of the big 12 teams, and now our new conference bretheren lol

DT

The question is, will anyone cheer for Michigan? I am having a tough time answering that one, personally. I just don't think Rich is the right fit for them and if they lose then I am right...which makes me happy, because that isn't often that I am right. I like most of the Big 10 schools and I find myself usually rooting for them, so it will be even easier now. Conference first is the way it goes for me...except I have never in my life rooted for Texas though and I never will.

The Big Ten message boards I am a member of were all very supportive of the Big Ten teams during the bowl season. It is also important that there seem to be friendships among certain Big Ten fan-bases, much like European soccer. Probably the biggest is OSU-MSU, born out of hatred for scUM.

I grew up watching Buckeye football in New York (Grandfather was rabid OSU alum), but I never really bought into the hatred of M*ch*gan until I actually knew I was going to be attending OSU, and perhaps that is because it is hard to a hate a team that has been so uncompetitive lately (well, 2006 was interesting... #1 and #2).

I even brought myself to root for Penn State against LSU this past season. And I think I despise Penn State more than the average Buckeye.

Yes it will be weird routing for wisc, iowa, and other teams come bowl season. But I think I could get used to it kinda nice to feel appreciated and treated as an equal. After looking at a lot of forums I have seen nothing but support from the Big Ten fan base. I sure it will change when conference play starts but in the end we will band together to fight that evil empire the SEC.

I don't think rooting for the schools from your conference is worth anything. You can root for whoever you want to root for. You shouldn't have to feel bad at all about rooting for a team outside your conference to beat someone in your conference.

For example, in as many situations as possible, I like to see Colorado and Missouri lose. I respect some of their fans and the universities themselves, but I would absolutely hate to see one of them beat us and then go on to a BCS bowl or a championship game that we could have been in.

Considering we may not ever be in a conference with those two schools again, my positions may change on them individually. However, there are just some conference teams I can't root for 99% of the time. I just like to see them lose.