The symbolism of this picture is very fitting

On Jan. 2nd, 1984 Coach Osborne had a choice, he could kick the extra point to tie the game with a guaranteed National Title for the taking? Or he could "go for two" to erase any doubt that Nebraska was the consensus best team in the nation. College coaches and fans alike across the country were inspired by the "go for two" call that Osborne made, even though it failed. His respect factor swelled to epic proportions after that game. It became one of the defining characteristics of what Osborne was about.

Fast forward to June 11th, 2010. Osborne as AD is faced with an even greater decision than the one in 1984. With swirling speculation of conference re-alignment flooding the news over the past 6 months, Osborne had to ask himself some serious questions about the future of Nebraska as an institution. This was greater than just athletics alone. It was about long-term stability academically and athletically. The prize is joining the oldest, most prestigious and most stable conference in the nation. He could either sit back and watch the landscape change as a reactionary observer? Or he could face it head-on in a proactive manner knowing that an institution of 23k+ students were hanging in the balance.

The picture below is fitting because it shows the "Peace" sign with the Big Ten and Nebraska logo at his back. It's also fitting because 26 years ago, this same man made that gutsy decision to go for two when he didn't have to. Except this time in 2010, he had no choice but to go for two; for those 23k+ students and for the 1.8 million residents in the state of Nebraska.

16h7szb.jpg

• Fire 2

On Jan. 2nd, 1984 Coach Osborne had a choice, he could kick the extra point to tie the game with a guaranteed National Title for the taking? Or he could "go for two" to erase any doubt that Nebraska was the consensus best team in the nation. College coaches and fans alike across the country were inspired by the "go for two" call that Osborne made, even though it failed. His respect factor swelled to epic proportions after that game. It became one of the defining characteristics of what Osborne was about.

Fast forward to June 11th, 2010. Osborne as AD is faced with an even greater decision than the one in 1984. With swirling speculation of conference re-alignment flooding the news over the past 6 months, Osborne had to ask himself some serious questions about the future of Nebraska as an institution. This was greater than just athletics alone. It was about long-term stability academically and athletically. The prize is joining the oldest, most prestigious and most stable conference in the nation. He could either sit back and watch the landscape change as a reactionary observer? Or he could face it head-on in a proactive manner knowing that an institution of 23k+ students were hanging in the balance.

The picture below is fitting because it shows the "Peace" sign with the Big Ten and Nebraska logo at his back. It's also fitting because 26 years ago, this same man made that gutsy decision to go for two when he didn't have to. Except this time in 2010, he had no choice but to go for two; for those 23k+ students and for the 1.8 million residents in the state of Nebraska.

16h7szb.jpg

Great Post and I agree with you 100%

16h7szb.jpg

man i would just like to meet Tom just once in my life..........

you native nebraskans are SOO lucky......

16h7szb.jpg

I am from his home town and have met him one time, He spoke at the sending off get together of the local reserve unit. He is an incredibly nice man and very straight foreword. But by no means should his kindness and civility be mistaken as a weakness. He looked out for what is best for the Husker Nation, from the Students, to the Student Athletes, the faculity and the fans. The state will benifit as well.

Great post nexus.

I just spent the last 90 minutes trying to convince my Big Sister in Lincoln that this was a great move.

I might have to forward this thread to her.

Great song. Love the original by Bob Marley too.

16h7szb.jpg

A year or so ago, I was carrying my SLR around one day just for kicks, as I am wont to do, and bumped into Coach Osborne on the sidewalk on campus a as I was heading home for the day. I was more nervous than I thought I should be... I addressed him as "Coach" and then felt stupid for having done that as he's also a Dr., Director, heck, Mr.... Anyway, I asked him if it was okay if I shot a picture of him (I think I even made a timid little gesture with my camera like a foreign tourist) and he said, "Sure, I hope I don't ruin your camera." The sun was high, so the shadows were harsh and I knew that I should have used a fill flash, but it's not like I was going to ask him to wait while I took another. We shook hands and he went on his way. After de-harshing the shadows, the picture turned out quite well. I need to run a copy of it to his office and see if he'd sign it for me.

Great post nexus.

I just spent the last 90 minutes trying to convince my Big Sister in Lincoln that this was a great move.

I might have to forward this thread to her.

Great song. Love the original by Bob Marley too.

Well put Nexus. I totally agree with you, and that picture does have a lot of meaning.

BTW, nothing comes close to the original Redemption Song by Bob Marley. :band

I was afraid I might get dinged for that..

Which version do you consider the "original"? (I'm a little embarrased to admit The first few hundred times I heard it was off the Greatest Hits "Legend" album which was more polished than his very raw earlier versions with pretty poor recording quality).

I've got 3 or 4 versions of Redemption from Bob in my personal collection, but the Ziggy/Lauren version was the 1st live (visual) version I was able to find on YT that had a mostly decent recording..(I was in the middle of trying to explain Reggae to my young Son and playing it while reading this thread).

Also..I felt it might be a little more appropiate for this situation to show that Bob's legacy is still living (and going forward)..I thought his Son did a very good job with this one.

At the time he wrote the song, circa 1979, Bob Marley had been diagnosed with the cancer that later was to take his life. According to Rita Marley, "he was already secretly in a lot of pain and dealt with his own mortality, a feature that is clearly apparent in the album, particularly in this song".

Unlike most of Bob Marley's tracks, it is strictly a solo acoustic recording, consisting of Marley singing and playing an acoustic guitar, without accompaniment. In subsequent live performances, however, a full band is used. A full band rendition of "Redemption Song" was made available as a bonus track on the 2001 reissue of Uprising, as well as being featured on the 2001 compilation One Love: The Very Best of Bob Marley & the Wailers. However, the solo performance remains the take most familiar to listeners.

In 2004, Rolling Stone placed the song at #66 among The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. In 2010, the New Statesman listed it as one of the Top 20 Political Songs.[2]

Meaning and social impact

The song urges listeners to "Emancipate yourself from mental slavery," because "None but ourselves can free our minds". These lines were taken from a speech given by Marcus Garvey in Nova Scotia during October 1937 and published in his Black Man magazine:

We are going to emancipate ourselves from mental slavery because whilst others might free the body, none but ourselves can free the mind. Mind is your only ruler, sovereign. The man who is not able to develop and use his mind is bound to be the slave of the other man who uses his mind ...

16h7szb.jpg

that picture is freaking awesome