Big Ten Fans

Bradr

For all those Big Ten fans visiting this board, I wanted to get your opinion on where Nebraska football would fit into the hierarchy of your conference.

Looking at national stats like ncaa.org, it appears that we match up pretty favorably in the defensive statistics compared to several of your schools. On offense, it looks like we fall in the middle of the pack.

I admit that I don't regularly follow any of the current teams, but there are certainly national stereotypes attached to our previous conference and the big 10. My perception would be that you guys look a little more power orientated that where the big 12 has been heading. Larger and more numerous linebackers, bigger running backs, etc. While the big 12 has had an obsession with the spread.

How will we do against you? How will you do against us?

For all those Big Ten fans visiting this board, I wanted to get your opinion on where Nebraska football would fit into the hierarchy of your conference.

Looking at national stats like ncaa.org, it appears that we match up pretty favorably in the defensive statistics compared to several of your schools. On offense, it looks like we fall in the middle of the pack.

I admit that I don't regularly follow any of the current teams, but there are certainly national stereotypes attached to our previous conference and the big 10. My perception would be that you guys look a little more power orientated that where the big 12 has been heading. Larger and more numerous linebackers, bigger running backs, etc. While the big 12 has had an obsession with the spread.

I can only speak for Penn State, and it's just a poorly formed opinion at that.

The last couple of seasons where we had some success we had a mobile QB that was competent (not great) at forward passes. A lot of play out of the shotgun with screens and short pass slants. Michael Robinson and Daryl Clark were effective at doing this. Robinson was a better leader, in my opinion. The ground game sucked it last year because our O-line never really jelled the way they should have. With a fifth year, returning start at HB and an O-line that should have matured from last season we should have a better ground game. I'd like to see the TE worked into the pass some more but who knows if that will happen.

The receiving corps is competent but we're starting a new QB this coming season. We will not compete until 2012. I expect 2013 to have some potential as well.

On Defense the safeties are probably the bigger concern. The line up front and in the middle is solid. There's always another lineman ready to step up at Penn State so this should hardly ever be an issue.

Special teams last year was a joke and a half. I think we were ranked 118th when it came to punting. :facepalm: I mean, how hard is it to punt a football? Apparently, if you're Penn State in 2009, it's *really* hard.

In a nutshell, if you can jam the O-line you'll do well this season. Possibly next. Defensively, I think we're fairly well rounded.

All we heard was SPEEEEEED!!!!! before the LSU game and we all know how that went. Oh, sorry...muddy field = not fair! On dry field LSU would have pwnd you and you know it!!! Speeeeeeed! :bs:

I can only speak for Penn State, and it's just a poorly formed opinion at that.

The last couple of seasons where we had some success we had a mobile QB that was competent (not great) at forward passes. A lot of play out of the shotgun with screens and short pass slants. Michael Robinson and Daryl Clark were effective at doing this. Robinson was a better leader, in my opinion. The ground game sucked it last year because our O-line never really jelled the way they should have. With a fifth year, returning start at HB and an O-line that should have matured from last season we should have a better ground game. I'd like to see the TE worked into the pass some more but who knows if that will happen.

The receiving corps is competent but we're starting a new QB this coming season. We will not compete until 2012. I expect 2013 to have some potential as well.

On Defense the safeties are probably the bigger concern. The line up front and in the middle is solid. There's always another lineman ready to step up at Penn State so this should hardly ever be an issue.

Special teams last year was a joke and a half. I think we were ranked 118th when it came to punting. :facepalm: I mean, how hard is it to punt a football? Apparently, if you're Penn State in 2009, it's *really* hard.

In a nutshell, if you can jam the O-line you'll do well this season. Possibly next. Defensively, I think we're fairly well rounded.

All we heard was SPEEEEEED!!!!! before the LSU game and we all know how that went. Oh, sorry...muddy field = not fair! On dry field LSU would have pwnd you and you know it!!! Speeeeeeed! :bs:

i was pretty happy to see tOSU over oregon, PSU over lsu, and Iowa over ga. tech. the made me really respect the Big 10, something i really did not do before. hopefully the big 10 can get stronger top to bottom and always have 3-4 teams in the top 15. i think they are headed that way and hopefully NU will only strengthen the conference, and bring a few national titles back to the big 10 along their way.

I think we will be just fine in the Big10. We are starting to transform into a team that closely resembles Alabama of last year. That kind of team can compete in any conference and as we saw last year can easily win an NC. I have no worries that Bo's defenses will continue to dominate no matter what league we are in. He is a defensive genius, if we have a somewhat competant offense we will often be a force to reckon with.

The whole "the Big Ten is slow and prodding" thing isn't as concrete as you would think. We have a few teams like that - most notably, Wisconsin - but a lot of teams are moving to the spread and speed. Look how Ohio State did against Oregon, which was touted as the ultimate speed team that Ohio State wouldn't be able to keep up with. But Terrelle Pryor was recruiter for his athleticism, and he sure showed it in the Rose Bowl by scrambling quite impressively a few times.

Currently, I would break it down like this:

:star :star :star :star :star Teams:

Ohio State, Penn State

:star :star :star :star Teams:

Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin

:star :star :star Teams:

Purdue, M*ch*gan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern

:star :star Teams:

Indiana, Illinois

EDIT: I will say, however, that Iowa is probably going to be more successful this season than Penn State (Ohio State @ Iowa is probably going to be the best conference game this year), but Iowa as a program still doesn't have all that Penn State does. The stars are a mix of current power with the program's intangibles.

Ohio State, Penn State

Indiana, Illinois

I'd say that's a fair estimate.

The whole "the Big Ten is slow and prodding" thing isn't as concrete as you would think. We have a few teams like that - most notably, Wisconsin - but a lot of teams are moving to the spread and speed. Look how Ohio State did against Oregon, which was touted as the ultimate speed team that Ohio State wouldn't be able to keep up with. But Terrelle Pryor was recruiter for his athleticism, and he sure showed it in the Rose Bowl by scrambling quite impressively a few times.

Ohio State, Penn State

Indiana, Illinois

EDIT: I will say, however, that Iowa is probably going to be more successful this season (Ohio State @ Iowa is probably going to be the best conference game this year), but Iowa as a program still doesn't have all that Penn State does. The stars are a mix of current power with the program's intangibles.

Thats interesting you put Penn St that high and Iowa below them, considering Iowa has owned them as of late. But I suppose Iowa's losses to NU (not tNU) dont help them.

EDIT: I responded before seeing your edit. :thumbs

Ohio State, Penn State

Indiana, Illinois

EDIT: I will say, however, that Iowa is probably going to be more successful this season than Penn State (Ohio State @ Iowa is probably going to be the best conference game this year), but Iowa as a program still doesn't have all that Penn State does. The stars are a mix of current power with the program's intangibles.

you really learn a lot about perception and bias when talking about football, it is a good lesson is psychology. it is so easy to see your side and completely dismiss the other side's perspective. when i first saw the list, i was a little upset not to be considered a 5 star team, and to be placed with Iowa. but then i was thinking, if i was Iowa, i would be really upset being placed with NU after both teams seasons last year. on paper, iowa is clearly the better team, but as a fan who watched ever husker game at least twice (god bless dvr) i think NU is a far superior team and puts out a product that compete with anyone.

i just thought that was interesting, and perception and bias is what fuels the game and why espn exists, because, after all, espn is just a bunch of pundits, it is not really journalism, they never break their own stories. usually they hide stories, like the erin andrews thing and not reporting the first ben rothlisberger incident.

Ohio State, Penn State

Indiana, Illinois

Excuse me, but hasn't Iowa OWNED Penn State in recent years? Myself I'm hesitant to rank Nebraska with the Big Ten until a couple of seasons go by.

I'd say if they were to begin conf play this coming year they'd tie for 2nd with Iowa, coming in after OSU, though I won't speculate on personnel and system match-ups two years into the future, there are just too many unknowns.

And as to Manhattan's rankings...I'm just surprised to see the Gophers as a 3 star team. I'd swap them with Illinois and PSU with Iowa but that's just me.

And as to Manhattan's rankings...I'm just surprised to see the Gophers as a 3 star team. I'd swap them with Illinois and PSU with Iowa but that's just me.

I put the gophers at 3 stars because they show signs of life and/or improvement, what with their new stadium and all.

Illinois and Indiana always look like they are going to be in the doldrums... Especially with Zook at Illinois. What a joke. And they're supposed to be our "rival" for the Illibuck. :facepalm:

Iowa has dominated PSU, but I still put PSU above Iowa because PSU potentially can always be the more threatening team because of their recruiting, their stadium, and the program in general has more up their sleeve than the modest - but expertly run - Iowa program. It is like Nebraska and Missouri... Missouri was really successful earlier, but they're back down to Earth again at the end of the decade as nobodies.

Maybe the big-school bias is getting to me. I even view Iowa as one of my more-liked Big Ten schools and PSU the worst only behind M*ch*gan, so go figure.

EDIT: If I really had to put money on it, I would put Nebraska at 4.5 stars, but I think that is too specific for a team that hasn't even played in the conference yet.

I put the gophers at 3 stars because they show signs of life and/or improvement, what with their new stadium and all.

Illinois and Indiana always look like they are going to be in the doldrums... Especially with Zook at Illinois. What a joke. And they're supposed to be our "rival" for the Illibuck. :facepalm:

Iowa has dominated PSU, but I still put PSU above Iowa because PSU potentially can always be the more threatening team because of their recruiting, their stadium, and the program in general has more up their sleeve than the modest - but expertly run - Iowa program. It is like Nebraska and Missouri... Missouri was really successful earlier, but they're back down to Earth again at the end of the decade as nobodies.

Maybe the big-school bias is getting to me. I even view Iowa as one of my more-liked Big Ten schools and PSU the worst only behind M*ch*gan, so go figure.

EDIT: If I really had to put money on it, I would put Nebraska at 4.5 stars, but I think that is too specific for a team that hasn't even played in the conference yet.

While I appreciate the respect from Manhattan (the Buckeye), I disagree with his list. I'd actually put Penn State (I hate to say this) below Ohio State right now. Yes, I'm an alum. Yes, I *LOVE* Penn State. But I think one has to be realistic. Iowa has had our number and they should get credit for that. We had some real down years a few seasons ago and we're working to recover from that.

While I do think that Penn State comes up equivalent to OSU in terms of intangibles and goodwill (ahead of Iowa in this regard)...our game on the field has not been up to snuff. There have been a lot of letdowns in big games the last few seasons. I saw some good mental toughness when we beat OSU in the Shoe the other year. But that needs to start being the norm again. Same with Iowa.

Ok, maybe 4.5 stars for the Nits. :)

I rank OSU at the top of my Crap list for B10 schools I hate, but putting aside that bias for the moment they're currently the class of the conference.

I assume you put Nebraska at 4 stars due to their recent down years but their stock is rising. I would give them 4.5

In any give year in the future I see OSU, Neb, PSU battling for the crown. If Mich comes back to life, throw them into it. Every so often Iowa or Wisky would be in the mix.

IL, MSU and Purdue only good for the occassional upset win.

I would have OSU as the only 5 star team right now given that they have owned the conference this decade with Iowa, Nebraska, Penn State and Wisconsin all very closely grouped as 4 stars right behind them. Nebraska and Penn State both have current goodness combined with historical power but if we are basing things on historical power then Michigan would have to be up there as well. Iowa has been ahead of Nebraska for 6 or 7 of the last 10 years in the rankings (which unfortunately is the only way we have had to compare) and has beaten PSU 7 of the last 8 so I guess I don't get all the Iowa bashing.