Aaron Green Article

by David Flores / Kens5.com

kens5.com

Posted on June 15, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Updated yesterday at 2:55 PM

Gallery

See all 6 photos »

It defies conventional wisdom in the world of college football recruiting for two coveted high school running backs to sign with the same university in the same year.

Why compete for playing time with another blue-chipper, the thinking goes, when you can go somewhere else and be the featured back?

Steele senior Malcolm Brown and Madison senior Aaron Green, two of the country’s top recruits, don’t quite see things that way.

On the contrary, Brown and Green say they would embrace the opportunity to play in the same college backfield together.

Or, put another way, they’re not ruling out the possibility of being teammates at Texas or Florida State, based on their short list college choices at this point in the recruiting campaign.

While some think the chances of Green and Brown playing college ball together may be slim, you never say never when it comes to recruiting. At any rate, it’s fun just to consider the possibility.

Who knows? Maybe Brown and Green could end up being the 21st century’s version of the “Pony Express,” the nickname given Eric Dickerson and Craig James when they played together at SMU in the late 1970s and early ’80s.

“It would be a lot of fun playing with Aaron,” Brown said Monday. “We’ve talked about it. We could be called 'Thunder and Lightning.'”

Brown, 6 feet and 210 pounds, would bring the “Thunder” with his power and Green (5-11, 185) would provide the "Lightning" with his speed, quickness and elusiveness.

“I think it would be real fun,” Green said. “We talk about it. It would be hard for defenses to stop us.”

Brown, who made an unofficial visit to Alabama with his parents over the weekend, has narrowed his college choices to Alabama, Florida State and Texas.

He said Monday that he plans to commit before the start of the football season, “probably late in the summer.”

Green has winnowed his list to California, Florida State, Nebraska and Texas.

Unlike Brown, Green plans to hold off on his commitment until the fall – at the earliest.

“I plan to take my visits and then I’ll decide,” Brown said.

Brown rushed for 2,170 yards, averaged 10.8 yards per carry, and scored 33 touchdowns in 12 games last season. He was spectacular in Steele’s 27-20 playoff loss to eventual Class 4A Division II state champion Lake Travis, rambling for 299 yards on 35 carries and scoring once.

Green, who hurt his left foot late in his junior season, ran for 1,133 yards and 11 TDs. He averaged 5.87 yards per carry.

Brown and Green keep up with each other by phone and visit in person whenever possible.

“Aaron’s a nice guy and his dad’s a nice guy, too,” Brown said. “Every time I see Aaron, I have a good time. I’ve met his friends and they’re good guys. Aaron is just a very down-to-earth guy.”

Green said he enjoys talking with Brown because he can relate to the pressure that comes with being recruited.

“It’s a blessing to be in the position I’m in, but the recruiting thing can get annoying at times,” Green said. “I talk to Malcolm about how crazy things get sometimes.”

And things are only going to get crazier in the coming months.

For all the obvious reasons – tradition, proximity to San Antonio, prestige, Coach Mack Brown’s personable style, etc. – UT would have to considered a favorite to sign either or both of these standouts.

But, again, you never know.

“I’ve been to Texas a few times and I’m beginning to feel a little more comfortable with them,” Brown said. “I’ve gotten to know the coaches, and they’ve made me feel like they really want me. Coach Brown would get along with anybody.”

No doubt, the Longhorns want Brown and Green badly. Their physical skills and high character – they’re both yes-sir, no-sir young men from rock-solid families – set them apart from most recruits.

While Brown finds UT highly attractive, he made it clear he doesn’t feel bound to remain in the state.

“I didn’t grow up in Texas, so playing out of state wouldn’t be a problem for me,” he said.

Brown, whose father served in the Air Force, was born in Biloxi, Miss. The Browns moved to San Antonio when Malcolm was in the first grade, but relocated to the Washington, D.C., area two years later.

The Brown family has lived in Cibolo since it moved from Washington, D.C., in the summer before Malcolm started the seventh grade at Dobie Junior High in the Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City ISD.

Brown said he was impressed with what he saw during his visit to Alabama.

“Everything was nice,” he said. “They have nice facilities and the coaches really got in-depth when they talked to us about the school and the football program. You can tell their passionate about the school.”

And what about Florida State, which will be starting a new era after the retirement last year of iconic coach Bobby Bowden?

“The Florida State coaches have been consistent in calling me from the beginning,” Brown said. “They’ve always kept up with me. They seem real interested. That’s why they’re still in the running.”

A San Antonio native, Green has grown up during UT’s return to prominence in college football.

“Texas is Texas,” Green said. “They’re right down the road, too. I plan to live in Texas after I graduate from college, so that’s something to consider.”

Green said Nebraska is among the schools he’s considering because it’s an “up-and-coming program” with a rich tradition to draw from.

“It’s a humble environment and I like that,” Green said.

Green has spent time in Lincoln, Neb., visiting his brother, Andrew, who will be a redshirt freshman for the Huskers this season.

Will the fact that Andrew, a defensive back, plays for Nebraska sway Aaron’s college choice toward the Huskers?

“No,” Aaron said. “Andrew never has told me anything about going to Nebraska. He knows it’s got to be my choice and that I have to feel right about where I’m going.”

Green said that Nebraska’s decision to leave the Big 12 to play in the Big Ten would not affect his decision.

“It would be weird playing teams like Penn State and Michigan, but football is football,” Green said.

Asked why California and Florida State made his short list, Green said, “I like the way California runs their offense and the way they use their running backs. Florida State has that tradition and I like the things they’ve shown me.”

Green is a member of one of the most prominent families in San Antonio sports history. His father, Tony, and an uncle, Gary Green, football coach at Sam Houston High School, played football at Baylor in the 1970s.

Gary Green, an All-America cornerback at Baylor, went on to an All-Pro career in the NFL and is a member of the San Antonio Sports Hall of Fame.

Aaron has another older brother, Tony Jr., who was a football standout at Madison and is now playing at Alabama A&M. And a cousin, Gary Green II, also played at Madison and completed his football career at Kansas in 2008.

Malcolm Brown and Aaron Green have proven to be mature beyond their years so far. They’ve handled the attention well and have remained humble.

That, in itself, is refreshing.

Going to be a tough fight for the kid, but I trust Coach Beck and Coach Brown to bring him :bigredn:

We need to get Jamal Turner and his coach (Aaron's uncle) in his ear, from what I've heard his uncle is very high on the Nebraska coaches from all his experience with Andrew and now Jamal.

Jamal is at Sam Houston in Arlington, Texas and the Green is at San Antonio Madison in San Antonio, Texas. Is Aaron's uncle at Sam Houston in Arlington???

I know this sounds crazy, but I'm not crazy about Green. Every time I read something about him he sounds more and more like what I call a "rivals diva". When the rivals100 came out he was clearly upset that he was not a 5*, something that wouldn't upset a "humble" football player. Rivals rankings are for the fans, not the players. And now he's planning out what his nickname could be if he played with this brown kid? Pump the breaks slick.

While one player doesn't make or break a football team, I really hope he's :bigredn:

I think he has great potential and it would be great for him and our program if he were to join. I think we have a great opportunity because his brother plays for us already...but he's not jumping in yet. So, for me, it's a little disheartening. And if he reads our boards...I want him to know...I want him :bigredn: !!

I know this sounds crazy, but I'm not crazy about Green. Every time I read something about him he sounds more and more like what I call a "rivals diva". When the rivals100 came out he was clearly upset that he was not a 5*, something that wouldn't upset a "humble" football player. Rivals rankings are for the fans, not the players. And now he's planning out what his nickname could be if he played with this brown kid? Pump the breaks slick.

I dont know about that, first let me say that coaching football for the last 10 years I dont care about Rivals rankings and honestly, I have never met one coach in high school that does. But, for the kid, it is a big sense of accomplishment or maybe even pride. So while there is a possibility that he was upset that he was not a 5*, it probably has more to do with the fact that it was a goal of his that he felt he did not reach. There is nothing wrong with having a goal and there is nothing wrong with having a goal, not reaching it and being upset about it.

You still feeling good about this one EZ?

i've lost all feelings in my lower legs going back and forth on this one.......

if he doest committ alteas we'll have the good ol days of when we thoght he was a lock sooo many many pages ago.........

Before the switch to the Big Ten I felt really good about this one. Have not heard at all what he has said about us moving to the Big Ten. I cant imagine that any coaching staff in the nation has a better relationship with him than Ron Brown does. His uncle (Quincy Russell's Head Football Coach) loves our staff and was a huge part of the reason Quincy Russell decommitted originally from Texas, AND we have Andrew who is going to be a contributor this year. With the greed and the black eye that is left on Texas Atheletics throughout the expansion talk I cant see the Big 10 move hurting us as much as one might think. If Brown committs fairly soon then I think Aaron is ours.

What I think is that he really wants to come to Nebraska, but the choice to leave home is going to take him awhile to make.

I dont know about that, first let me say that coaching football for the last 10 years I dont care about Rivals rankings and honestly, I have never met one coach in high school that does. But, for the kid, it is a big sense of accomplishment or maybe even pride. So while there is a possibility that he was upset that he was not a 5*, it probably has more to do with the fact that it was a goal of his that he felt he did not reach. There is nothing wrong with having a goal and there is nothing wrong with having a goal, not reaching it and being upset about it.

I understand that rankings can be a goal, but I think the reason he's upset is because he's been having people telling him he's going to be a 5* since he was a sophomore. But I think a lot of players get caught up in the "fame" and start thinking that they're a big deal before they even set foot on campus. It happens lots of players. For chrissakes, Jimmy Clausen walked out of a limo to the press conference where he signed his LOI. Same kinda thing happened with Owa.

Look at the article on Rivals if you have a membership about "players react to rivals250." Our other guys like Moore and Turner said that they were honored by high rankings, but they don't mean anything if they don't perform. And don't get me wrong, I think Green is a monster, but I think he might be the kind of kid who could have trouble with a coaching staff like ours who isn't going to give out any handouts or preferential treatment.

I understand that rankings can be a goal, but I think the reason he's upset is because he's been having people telling him he's going to be a 5* since he was a sophomore. But I think a lot of players get caught up in the "fame" and start thinking that they're a big deal before they even set foot on campus. It happens lots of players. For chrissakes, Jimmy Clausen walked out of a limo to the press conference where he signed his LOI. Same kinda thing happened with Owa.

Look at the article on Rivals if you have a membership about "players react to rivals250." Our other guys like Moore and Turner said that they were honored by high rankings, but they don't mean anything if they don't perform. And don't get me wrong, I think Green is a monster, but I think he might be the kind of kid who could have trouble with a coaching staff like ours who isn't going to give out any handouts or preferential treatment.

Maybe you are right. I guess we will find out down the line.

I'm seriously worried about Texas... if he wants to move back to Texas after college, and his family is a legacy in Texas, i'm worried about Texas... the fact that Aaron and Malcolm have 2 of the same top 4 schools means there's a 50% chance Green will play where Malcolm plays... who knows though... we'll see.

I'm just worried that Braylon Heard doesn't make it... and then Aaron chooses to play elsewhere... then who do we have? What other RB's are we high on for 2011? If we don't get our 2010 recruit, and then our top 2011 guy chooses elsewhere who do we get?