Interesting Last Year in the Texas 12

EZ-E

Yeah you guys got me. I looked back at the scores and realized some of the games that felt like we were clawing for survival really weren't. I guess the team has good grit that we haven't had in a long time so it feels like we were winning the majority of close ones but it was a close split. Sigh....it's been a day :hmmph

I can see Bo's temper maybe playing a part in him wanting to do this. I also, however, think that Osbourne might be a bit pissed.

Somehow I think Tom will be more than happy if we pile some points on people. He buried a few people in his day. However, this is probably an unrealistic expectation to put on the team. Let's just see if the offense can gel and move the ball consistently against good defenses and score touchdowns. In the regular season (approx. one week preparation) against BCS quality opponents our offense mustered:

VT= 0 Touchdowns

MZ= 4 Touchdowns

TT= 1 Touchdown

ISU= 1 Touchdown

BAY= 1 Touchdown

OU= 1 Touchdown

KU= 3 Touchdowns

KSU= 2 Touchdowns

CU= 2 Touchdowns

TX= 0 Touchdowns

For the mathmatically challenged that is only 1.5 touchdowns per game. Hard to "run up the score" with that.

I can see Bo's temper maybe playing a part in him wanting to do this. I also, however, think that Osbourne might be a bit pissed.

I think it should me Man Law that every Husker fan who mispells Coach Osborne's name, has to place 20 bucks into every Huskerboard member's Pay Pal account! mfclap.gif

Agreed. Easy money. Since it seems for some reason so many misspells the great man's name........

I think it should me Man Law that every Husker fan who mispells Coach Osborne's name, has to place 20 bucks into every Huskerboard member's Pay Pal account! mfclap.gif

Official Notice:

Man Rule #2391 reads: Whomever shall misspell Tom Osborne's name shall deposit by Paypal immediately $20.50 into every other Huskerboard members account.

There, it is official...because I said so. :ahhhhhhhh

Am I the only one here who thinks we're going to beat UT soundly this year? I know our offense was horrible last year, but every portion of it should be better this year. QB with more exp, OL with more exp and talent, TWO healthy capable RB's vs none for a good portion of last season. I think our O's going to come along fine.

On Defense I really think we'll be better. Our D line will be stout, maybe not as awesome as last year, but I am thinking Bo's going to do some different things with our DE's that will really shake things up. And the Crick/Stien combo should be solid. Our secondary should rock. Only question mark is LB like everyone is saying, but I think overall the defense will be at least as good (I think it'll be a tad better) and it was pretty dang good last year.

This team got the most important thing they needed last year, and that was confidence imo. Knowing they can hang with the big boys, and beat them now is going to be paramount, and they can do it.

I think we'll avenge the ISU loss in good fashion, de-cleat Mizzou, and surprise everyone with a dominant victory over UT. I think UT will have a down year and have three losses, 1 to OU, 1 to us, and 1 so.... someone else. But we meet OU in the ccg and I don't know what will happen there. But I'm pretty confident we'll whip UT and surprise everyone with the type of win.

Am I the only one here who thinks we're going to beat UT soundly this year? I know our offense was horrible last year, but every portion of it should be better this year. QB with more exp, OL with more exp and talent, TWO healthy capable RB's vs none for a good portion of last season. I think our O's going to come along fine.

On Defense I really think we'll be better. Our D line will be stout, maybe not as awesome as last year, but I am thinking Bo's going to do some different things with our DE's that will really shake things up. And the Crick/Stien combo should be solid. Our secondary should rock. Only question mark is LB like everyone is saying, but I think overall the defense will be at least as good (I think it'll be a tad better) and it was pretty dang good last year.

This team got the most important thing they needed last year, and that was confidence imo. Knowing they can hang with the big boys, and beat them now is going to be paramount, and they can do it.

I think we'll avenge the ISU loss in good fashion, de-cleat Mizzou, and surprise everyone with a dominant victory over UT. I think UT will have a down year and have three losses, 1 to OU, 1 to us, and 1 so.... someone else. But we meet OU in the ccg and I don't know what will happen there. But I'm pretty confident we'll whip UT and surprise everyone with the type of win.

i am in agreement...i can see us winning a few by a handy margin...like i said before i don't think texas will be texas next year

I think it should be Man Law that every Husker fan who mispells Coach Osborne's name, has to place 20 bucks into every Huskerboard member's Pay Pal account! mfclap.gif

:koolaid2: My Paypal acct. would appreciate that!

Think about it fellas. We have an absolute studly team coming back this year. Has a lot of us saying that we could very well run the table and win the conference. Here is my point:

Given the chance againsst some of the teams that have wronged us in the past, being this maybe being our last year that we will ever play them, dont you think Bo will run up the score and pile it on? I would love nothing more than to see Bo do that on a certain date in October.

1) Just win, baby...just win.

2) Those who believe in karma might look at the ASU/NU scores of '95-'96 before deciding that it's a good idea to run up scores. (and for the record, I seriously doubt T.O was trying to do that in '95, but it was still 77 points.)

Think about it fellas. We have an absolute studly team coming back this year. Has a lot of us saying that we could very well run the table and win the conference. Here is my point:

Given the chance againsst some of the teams that have wronged us in the past, being this maybe being our last year that we will ever play them, dont you think Bo will run up the score and pile it on? I would love nothing more than to see Bo do that on a certain date in October.

1) Just win, baby...just win.

2) Those who believe in karma might look at the ASU/NU scores of '95-'96 before deciding that it's a good idea to run up scores. (and for the record, I seriously doubt T.O was trying to do that in '95, but it was still 77 points.)

fastest score in school history...clinton childs everybody!!!!!

i am in agreement...i can see us winning a few by a handy margin...like i said before i don't think texas will be texas next year

In agreement also, Texas will not win 10 games this or win the Big 12 South. The Shipley and McCoy combo are gone, which was their offense last year. Similar to us losing Ganz, Swift and Peterson this past year. I think the huskers can beat them by a comfortable margin, but their has been alot of freaky things that happen everytime we play them. So I wouldnt bet the farm on it. I still cant figure how they have beaten us the last 3 times. Especially the '06 and '07 games.

Before every season, I'm always trying to figure out how well we'll do. Over the years, I've learned that while there are some things we can base our predictions on, we really don't have a freaking clue as to how things will pan out. Before the '07 season, I was certain we'd be good enough to play in a BCS game, what with gun-slinger Keller, big-time Mo Purify, and future NFL star Marlon Lucky in the backfield, not to mention we were good enough to win the Big12 North in '06. All of us were thinking pretty much the same thing - '07 is the year. We can beat USC, Texas, and be NEBRASKA again.

But...we all saw how that panned out. Because of '07, I will always be hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. The biggest problem, of course, was our defense, or lackthereof. However, I'd say another huge thing we aren't taking into consideration is our competition. I don't think anyone saw the emergence of KU and MU in '07. So, while I am trying to get an angle on the Huskers and their chances, I also really want to know about the competition - who will break out and make life in football hard for the boys in red.

As for the Huskers:

Offensively, I believe we'll be more effective running the ball, given the O-line isn't facing injury and depth issues, at least initially. However, the QB situation is troubling. If Zac Lee isn't 100%, I hope Cody Green has improved 200%, because if we're to be competitive at all, we need MUCH better play at QB than we did for several games last season. I think the receiving corps is about as good as they were last year, and Niles has proven himself a formidable threat returning punts/kicks. The kicking game is as good or better, as long as Adi doesn't kick it OUT OF BOUNDS. Dang it.

Defensively, there's a lot of talk about how the Blackshirts will stop teams without Suh. Will the Huskers be a defensive juggernaut again? I don't know. I think Crick, Steinkuhler, Cam Meredith, etc will do well, and we won't give up horrible amounts of rushing yardage. We should still be able to get pressure on the QB. However, a lot of us are forgetting about the loss of Phillip Dillard. Toward the end of the year, he was playing as well as any LB in the conference. He was a leader, and kept everyone in line during games. Now, we have some new really athletic guys like Eric Martin and Whaley, but I'm sure they need a good deal of game time to really be a force. As it is, we aren't Linebacker U. The secondary lost hardly anyone, so we should probably see no drop-off in their level of play. (Edit: Asante had his moments, but I think there are people that can be as effective or more than he was)

How all this translates when the bullets are flying? I haven't the foggiest idea.

Good post! I don't have the foggiest idea either.

But I strongly suspect Bo/Carl will do an excellent job with the blackshirts. The offense?...well, I didn't see anything about Lee or Green last year to get excited about. Yeah, Green was just a freshman so maybe that's unfair. Martinez and a somewhat healthy OLine gives me hope though.

I wish someone would tell me that Bo was giving unflexible orders regarding our offense this year. Lord knows we need some help on that side of the ball. An identity doing something....heck, an identity doing anything would help boatloads. My health can't substain many more horizontal passes and 10,000 "3 & outs".