Interesting Last Year in the Texas 12

EZ-E

Manhattan, we have a lot more depth and talent this year than last. We had people injured and waiting in the wings redshirting who will add considerable class to this years team. We've got some studly OL coming up, one of which could have played last year as a Freshman, a great incoming class, and we've had a chance for our two RBs to get healthy during the offseason. Not to mention surgery and healing for our QB. Plus, the overall number of starts on the team last year was not all that great. We played a lot of young talent. Our Secondary may be one of the best in the country. Our DL will remain dominant. We've also got more depth there. We should easily go 10-4. We have a shot at more, but this is definitely not guaranteed. I think the worst you'll see during the regular season are losses to Missouri, Texas and Washington. None of these are guaranteed.

Manhattan, we have a lot more depth and talent this year than last. We had people injured and waiting in the wings redshirting who will add considerable class to this years team. We've got some studly OL coming up, one of which could have played last year as a Freshman, a great incoming class, and we've had a chance for our two RBs to get healthy during the offseason. Not to mention surgery and healing for our QB. Plus, the overall number of starts on the team last year was not all that great. We played a lot of young talent. Our Secondary may be one of the best in the country. Our DL will remain dominant. We've also got more depth there. We should easily go 10-4. We have a shot at more, but this is definitely not guaranteed. I think the worst you'll see during the regular season are losses to Missouri, Texas and Washington. None of these are guaranteed.

Nice summary. Now if we can just get you to spell Osborne correctly. :D

Just to expand a bit. I hear alot of, what are they going to do without SUH, stuff about the defense. Suh was incredible but he is only one man. He didn't make every tackle. A 5 star guy will probably be the replacement for Suh. Sure he will be missed but the defense will be very very good. The offense should be alot better for reasons stated above. With an offense that was only a little bit better NU would have been 13-1 or 12-2 because you never know how the bowl game would have gone (different bowl different opponent).

Just to expand a bit. I hear alot of, what are they going to do without SUH, stuff about the defense. Suh was incredible but he is only one man. He didn't make every tackle. A 5 star guy will probably be the replacement for Suh. Sure he will be missed but the defense will be very very good. The offense should be alot better for reasons stated above. With an offense that was only a little bit better NU would have been 13-1 or 12-2 because you never know how the bowl game would have gone (different bowl different opponent).

I get what you're saying, but Suh was one man who took 2-3 other men out of the play when he wasn't making a play. That is a very big deal.

I get what you're saying, but Suh was one man who took 2-3 other men out of the play when he wasn't making a play. That is a very big deal.

True, Suh did tie up a lot of OL players, however Crick was able to capitalize on that quite a bit. Someone posted stats for Suh in 08 and Crick in 09 and they were both very very close. Crick, I believe, made a name for himself even after having to play in Suh's shadow. Look for Crick to fill in quite nicely for Suh leaving the D-Line to play well.

You'd be surprised how often they put 2 men on our other DT. Maybe you haven't read Suh's comments about the guy playing next to him. Also look for our Defensive Ends to be a bigger force this year than last. We have improvement there to look forward to. They should pick up any slack in the DT drop-off.

Our team has learned how to win most of the close games

wait what?

You notice how there are some teams that just can't seem to win close games...

Like us?

Last season we lost to Virginia Tech by 1, ISU by 2, and Texas by 1. Our closest victory was 7. 2008, we lost to Virginia Tech by 5 and Texas Tech by 6 in OT. Our closest victory was 5.

So I really have no idea what you are talking about.

wait what?

... and Nebraska is one of them. The CCG was a close game that Nebraska dropped the ball on way before the "extra second" nonsense - by letting Texas get so far down field with that senseless penalty that put them in FG range.

EDIT: A team that wins close games is Iowa, by the way. Their margins of victory averaged 4 points last year (I think) and usually only win in the 4th quarter. Makes for a fun team to watch.

Yes a very big deal but the triple teaming him thing was not something that happened often. No one schemes to put 3 guys on anyone. Double teaming happens all the time but you can't double team everyone. That is on reason why Crick has such a good season. If you pick who to double team you pick the best player.

It's not like everyone is going to forget how to play defense now that Suh is gone. They were very good and they will be very good again. Pelini will make sure of it. I can say they will be better but they will be very good.

wait what?

... and Nebraska is one of them. The CCG was a close game that Nebraska dropped the ball on way before the "extra second" nonsense - by letting Texas get so far down field with that senseless penalty that put them in FG range.

EDIT: A team that wins close games is Iowa, by the way. Their margins of victory averaged 4 points last year (I think) and usually only win in the 4th quarter. Makes for a fun team to watch.

Agreed. I think this is they year NU move from losing those close games to winning those close games. Only time will tell if I'm right or wrong.

wait what?

Agreed. I think this is they year NU move from losing those close games to winning those close games. Only time will tell if I'm right or wrong.

Im right their with ya. The improvement this program has made over the last few years has been incredible. Even if Bo doesnt admit it he has learned to be D1 coach. I believe this is the year we get over the "humps" and start putting away opponents when the opportunity strikes. In 2008 I dont think our defense overall was that great, it was an improvement but not that great. The last 2 years we have seen opposites in defensive and offensive football, which has made the coaching staff and players better.

Bo and this team are hungier than ever. they're ready to knock some teeth in.

Before every season, I'm always trying to figure out how well we'll do. Over the years, I've learned that while there are some things we can base our predictions on, we really don't have a freaking clue as to how things will pan out. Before the '07 season, I was certain we'd be good enough to play in a BCS game, what with gun-slinger Keller, big-time Mo Purify, and future NFL star Marlon Lucky in the backfield, not to mention we were good enough to win the Big12 North in '06. All of us were thinking pretty much the same thing - '07 is the year. We can beat USC, Texas, and be NEBRASKA again.

But...we all saw how that panned out. Because of '07, I will always be hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. The biggest problem, of course, was our defense, or lackthereof. However, I'd say another huge thing we aren't taking into consideration is our competition. I don't think anyone saw the emergence of KU and MU in '07. So, while I am trying to get an angle on the Huskers and their chances, I also really want to know about the competition - who will break out and make life in football hard for the boys in red.

As for the Huskers:

Offensively, I believe we'll be more effective running the ball, given the O-line isn't facing injury and depth issues, at least initially. However, the QB situation is troubling. If Zac Lee isn't 100%, I hope Cody Green has improved 200%, because if we're to be competitive at all, we need MUCH better play at QB than we did for several games last season. I think the receiving corps is about as good as they were last year, and Niles has proven himself a formidable threat returning punts/kicks. The kicking game is as good or better, as long as Adi doesn't kick it OUT OF BOUNDS. Dang it.

Defensively, there's a lot of talk about how the Blackshirts will stop teams without Suh. Will the Huskers be a defensive juggernaut again? I don't know. I think Crick, Steinkuhler, Cam Meredith, etc will do well, and we won't give up horrible amounts of rushing yardage. We should still be able to get pressure on the QB. However, a lot of us are forgetting about the loss of Phillip Dillard. Toward the end of the year, he was playing as well as any LB in the conference. He was a leader, and kept everyone in line during games. Now, we have some new really athletic guys like Eric Martin and Whaley, but I'm sure they need a good deal of game time to really be a force. As it is, we aren't Linebacker U. The secondary lost hardly anyone, so we should probably see no drop-off in their level of play. (Edit: Asante had his moments, but I think there are people that can be as effective or more than he was)

How all this translates when the bullets are flying? I haven't the foggiest idea.

There are two games that are MUST wins for us this year...though we need to win some of the others to make this happen. We have to beat Texass, and then I want to play OU in the championship game, and win that. I hope Texass gets handed a few losses this year, just to put them in their place and remind them that they are not "all that".