So Baseball Is Kind of a Big Deal?

BOJ

It heats up quickly if we have a good time because the college world series is in Omaha. There was a notion for years that when we made the CWS we would have a huge home field advantage. Unfortunately I think we are 1-6 in 3 CWS appearances.

I suppose interest could increasea if we do well in the Big 10 and that should give us an easier path to the tournament, but the lesser competition will probably hurt us in getting to the final 8 in Omaha. I remember guys like Winfield, Sabo, Larkin and Gibson in the Big 10, are B10 schools just not getting anyone anymore?

Once in a while we will have someone, as far as the last one I can think of--only tOSU, would be Nick Swisher. We just don't have the facilities to keep up with the Southern schools, we have some very nice stadiums that I'm sure Nebraska will enjoy winning in, but we can't use them until late April. I think because the schools realize that we just won't be able to compete with the baseball powers they don't put a lot into it. From what I can remember when I was still in school tOSU had one of the better teams in the league, but I never heard a thing about it.

It heats up quickly if we have a good time because the college world series is in Omaha. There was a notion for years that when we made the CWS we would have a huge home field advantage. Unfortunately I think we are 1-6 in 3 CWS appearances.

I suppose interest could increasea if we do well in the Big 10 and that should give us an easier path to the tournament, but the lesser competition will probably hurt us in getting to the final 8 in Omaha. I remember guys like Winfield, Sabo, Larkin and Gibson in the Big 10, are B10 schools just not getting anyone anymore?

Once in a while we will have someone, as far as the last one I can think of--only tOSU, would be Nick Swisher. We just don't have the facilities to keep up with the Southern schools, we have some very nice stadiums that I'm sure Nebraska will enjoy winning in, but we can't use them until late April. I think because the schools realize that we just won't be able to compete with the baseball powers they don't put a lot into it. From what I can remember when I was still in school tOSU had one of the better teams in the league, but I never heard a thing about it.

tOSU had a shot at the CWS a few years back, and got beat by SW Mizzou St in the super regional (the same SWMS) that beat NU in the Lincoln Regional. It has been said that some NU baseball players/recruits are not particularly happy about the move to the Big 10. Also, I guess that baseball recruiting is more difficult as teams cannot "oversign" recruits.

FYI, NU's wrestling program is very good. For years it was one of the tops in the nation, but has fallen off a little in the past couple of years. Now we need to swipe UNO's hockey team ;)

Football is king, of course. I'm not sure exactly how big baseball is, to be honest, because I don't follow ANY baseball team at any level, however I'm pretty sure right now people are kind of upset with the state of NU baseball.

Baseball Forum on Huskerboard

I should probably have been a little more direct. I think the order of sports goes football, basketball, and then wrestling. Baseball isn't even on the radar, though some schools have decent stadiums and once in a while we have some good pros come out of our programs, but in no way shape or form do we think it is an important college sport, but from what I hear it is important to the Big 12 and specifically Nebraska along with Texas. I just hope we don't f#*k up your guys' enjoyment of college baseball b/c you will get close to zero competition from us. Though the wrestling will be epic, but then again not a lot of regions outside of the midwest care about that.

This is what I'm excited for the most except for Football. I think Nebraska baseball really isn't the big time program people make it out to be. Yea we have had some great teams not to long ago when Van Horn was here, but we only have 3 CWS appearances and are 1-6 in those games. So I think for a while their NU fans go their hopes up thinking Nebraska was awesome, but mainly that was going on when football was waaaay low. So we had to cheer for something since BBall doesn't do well either.

Baseball is my #2 Husker sport behind football. I'm not sure how the B10 move will affect it. One one hand I can see us continue to recruit well (as long as we can actually get some to go to college) and do very well in the conference. On the other hand I can see us lose a lot of prospects because we don't play any warm weather games (except non-conference). I was suprised to see minnesota in the supers this year so at least it appears there is some good competition out there.

Volleyball > Baseball in this state and at the University. It's a close match up, but the Lady Huskers are consistently good year after year nationally and therefore they have gained a rabid following. A lot of people are as passionate about Husker Volleyball as they are Husker Football, we rock the sell out record and attendance records for Volleyball as we do Football.

The reason why baseball is so big in Nebraska is most likely due to the College World Series and like football, no professional baseball team to follow.

tOSU had a shot at the CWS a few years back, and got beat by SW Mizzou St in the super regional (the same SWMS) that beat NU in the Lincoln Regional. It has been said that some NU baseball players/recruits are not particularly happy about the move to the Big 10. Also, I guess that baseball recruiting is more difficult as teams cannot "oversign" recruits.

FYI, NU's wrestling program is very good. For years it was one of the tops in the nation, but has fallen off a little in the past couple of years. Now we need to swipe UNO's hockey team ;)

From some of the articles I have read, some of the hockey fans in the Big Ten are hoping something like that would come to fruition. Nebraska getting a team would allow us to have a conference league instead of the deal we do now. Hockey is big for the schools that participate in it and if we can actually get a Big Ten league going I think those schools that don't currently field a team, would do so.

From some of the articles I have read, some of the hockey fans in the Big Ten are hoping something like that would come to fruition. Nebraska getting a team would allow us to have a conference league instead of the deal we do now. Hockey is big for the schools that participate in it and if we can actually get a Big Ten league going I think those schools that don't currently field a team, would do so.

One of the things I like about hockey is that we see some different teams and in Michigan alone there 7 D-I programs, 6 of them who play in our conference, so nice getting to play all these teams in the state. A Big Ten only leauge would likely kill off some programs.

I would have to agree that here it goes Football, Volleyball, Baseball..

However, for me baseball and football are kind of 1a and 1b.. Those that read the baseball forum at all can probably see that.. College baseball as a whole is just something that I love to follow. Don't sell the big 10 TOO short.. Yes, they aren't very good, but there have been some teams that have done a bit of damage.. Just this year Minnesota won the 1st two games of their regional before getting beat twice by Fullerton, which is a very solid baseball school. Ohio State was also preseason top 20 by many this year, and failed to produce well. Last year Indiana had a relatively solid team, and Michigan has been decent for the past few years also. I still think Nebraska will be king of the Big 10 in baseball, but hopefully some of the borderline big 10 teams will step it up a bit and make the big 10 a three bid league...

Leave our little sister (UNO for our Big Ten brothers) alone and add men's swimming

We can't add men's sports without adding equal women's sports, I doubt we add any sports at all

If we added men's hockey we could add women's hockey too, but the cost of that would be too high I would think

Leave our little sister (UNO for our Big Ten brothers) alone and add men's swimming

We can't add men's sports without adding equal women's sports, I doubt we add any sports at all

If we added men's hockey we could add women's hockey too, but the cost of that would be too high I would think

True but women's field hockey looks interesting...

The baseball players should be ECSTATIC they are going to the Big 10...they sure as hell can't beat anyone anymore in the Big 12, so why would they bitch about the prospect of winning a game once in a while? It's not their fault that they're second-rank players recruited by a moron manager...can't expect much when you don't recruit much.