Zac Lee

If we can impose the running game like we did in the Holiday bowl he should have a reduced roll, which unfortunately at this point may be a good thing. If we can get him into a position like Greg Mcelroy where we don't have to put the game in his hands, he should perform better (obviously) from less pressure.

Exactly, All Lee has to do manage the game. McElroy did an excellent job of that last year.

FWIW, I still think we should go an Alabama type offense, more focus on downhill running, less focus on the QB. It chews up alot of time on the clock. But with a good defense, you really dont have to score that many points to win.

If we can impose the running game like we did in the Holiday bowl he should have a reduced roll, which unfortunately at this point may be a good thing. If we can get him into a position like Greg Mcelroy where we don't have to put the game in his hands, he should perform better (obviously) from less pressure.

Exactly, All Lee has to do manage the game. McElroy did an excellent job of that last year.

FWIW, I still think we should go an Alabama type offense, more focus on downhill running, less focus on the QB. It chews up alot of time on the clock. But with a good defense, you really dont have to score that many points to win.

It all depends on who you have at the QB spot.

When you have a guy who is constantly in the zone, as Ganz was, then it's incredible and you get to focus on the QB and open up the offense to do a lot of things. When you don't, then you sort of have to go to a Bama-with-McElroy type offense. It all depends on the personnel you wind up with in a given year. I think our offense demands excellence from every position though, and it's not too much to ask.

When you have a guy who is constantly in the zone, as Ganz was, then it's incredible and you get to focus on the QB and open up the offense to do a lot of things. When you don't, then you sort of have to go to a Bama-with-McElroy type offense. It all depends on the personnel you wind up with in a given year. I think our offense demands excellence from every position though, and it's not too much to ask.

I don't think the Bama offense was by necessity...they have playmakers up the wazzu. But I think a big advantage of that type of O is clock control. Without the great clock control we had in 08 we might not even have made a bowl game. If we could have controlled the clock in 09 like we did in 08 with the 09 blackshirts we may have been in the MNC. That's why I think we should try to play more pro style.

Ball control offense + downhill running + Bo's defense = good god.

I don't think the Bama offense was by necessity...they have playmakers up the wazzu. But I think a big advantage of that type of O is clock control. Without the great clock control we had in 08 we might not even have made a bowl game. If we could have controlled the clock in 09 like we did in 08 with the 09 blackshirts we may have been in the MNC. That's why I think we should try to play more pro style.

Ball control offense + downhill running + Bo's defense = good god.

=death by schnu schnu

The offense only has to score 17-21 pts a game, not cough up the ball, the defense/special teams can take care the rest.

I hope we score more than that. More like 28-35 pts a game.

I hope so too. Im just saying bare minimum thats what the offense needs to score to have a chance at winning.

I agree that the offense may not have to score alot of points for us to win the game. However, we are speculating as to how this years defense is going to be compared to last years defense. It may be better, or it may not. Hard to say at this point. :bigredn:

Zac Lee is the best option we have this year at QB because he understands the offense better than any other QB and can make throws that Cody and TMart can't. He's much more adept at reading coverages as well. In Watson's offense, Zac gives us the best chance to win.

For anybody looking ahead to next year, hopefully something will click with Martinez or Green. Don't be surprised if Brion Carnes beats one of the above two QB's out for 3rd string this fall and gets some meaningful snaps for next year. He's already thought of very highly by the staff, and as a passer he may be ahead of the others right now as well.

Keep in mind that with Bo and Carl directing the defense, the priority is a QB that can manage the game 1st and make things happen 2nd.

• Fire 1

Zac Lee is the best option we have this year at QB because he understands the offense better than any other QB and can make throws that Cody and TMart can't. He's much more adept at reading coverages as well. In Watson's offense, Zac gives us the best chance to win.

For anybody looking ahead to next year, hopefully something will click with Martinez or Green. Don't be surprised if Brion Carnes beats one of the above two QB's out for 3rd string this fall and gets some meaningful snaps for next year. He's already thought of very highly by the staff, and as a passer he may be ahead of the others right now as well.

Keep in mind that with Bo and Carl directing the defense, the priority is a QB that can manage the game 1st and make things happen 2nd.

I agree for the most part. However, all we know about Cody is what we saw from him in the Spring Game and the 2009 season. We don't know how he is doing in 7 on 7's, if his accuracy has improved, or how learning the playbook is coming along. We know even less about Martinez. I will also add that we don't know how Zac's arm will progress after having surgery on it. Sure it may be fine now, but will it hold up (I'm hoping it will)?

I would say though that Watson definitely prefers experience, and if Lee is "good-to-go" by September, he will have the starting job. Whether or not he keeps it remains to be seen. Personally, I don't care who the QB is as long as they can put points on the board and minimize mistakes.

• Fire 1

I agree for the most part. However, all we know about Cody is what we saw from him in the Spring Game and the 2009 season. We don't know how he is doing in 7 on 7's, if his accuracy has improved, or how learning the playbook is coming along. We know even less about Martinez. I will also add that we don't know how Zac's arm will progress after having surgery on it. Sure it may be fine now, but will it hold up (I'm hoping it will)?

I would say though that Watson definitely prefers experience, and if Lee is "good-to-go" by September, he will have the starting job. Whether or not he keeps it remains to be seen. Personally, I don't care who the QB is as long as they can put points on the board and minimize mistakes.

"Yeah That" to these two posts.

This (mostly the part about accuracy) could be true for either. Players can make huge strides in the offseason, especially if the team is improving like we hope our Huskers are.

Look at Toby Gerhart. No one knew who he was, then he was a Heisman finalist. Billy Stull at Pitt, Jerrod Johnson, heck, even Nathan Enderle all made huge strides this past offseason. If Zac was hurt as badly as some think, and he's making offseason strides, we could be in for a pleasant surprise.