1994 National Championship

g-man

Nebraska has spent its entire existence playing Florida teams in the Orange Bowl, or Pac-10 teams in the Holiday Bowl. The only times we've had an "advantage" is when we've played Big-10 teams in the Alamo Bowl, and even that's negligible.

Bottom line - if you're not within a few hour's drive from the game, you're flying anyway, whether that's Oregon to the Rose Bowl or PSU to the Rose Bowl.

And LSU in the Sugar Bowl, NU is undefeated 2-0

• 1 month later...

PSU "wins" game with Nebraska after 3 more-than-questionable calls in the last 1:06,

including the infamous Penn State yard-and-a-half-out-of-bounds 4th down "catch".

Head official at the Penn State home (homer?) game was the father of a recently graduated

PSU All-American. PSU "winning score" call was made by this very official from directly behind the play,

where he could not possibly have seen the "catch".

Penn State player later admits publicly he trapped the ball.

NU goes undefeated, PSU loses badly to a so-so Alabama team.

Penn State voted NC.

Do Penn Staters REALLY want to whine about getting robbed of an NC by Nebraska on this Board?

Really?

BTW, it appears Paterno's favorite official, Don Guman (father of former PSU RB Matt Guman), has a long history of "handling" critical games for St. JoePa:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/19/sports/on-college-football-paterno-got-his-share-of-calls-over-the-years.html

There were four (4) bad calls (all against Nebraska) in the last 1:06 of

the 1982 game, all of them by game official Don Guman,father of then

just recently graduated Penn State All American RB Matt Guman:

1. Unsportsmanlike Conduct on Nebraska on the NU kickoff.

This "official" watched from close range as a PSU player hit an NU player once,

twice well after the whistle was blown. Then the Husker retaliated.

The Call: unsportsmanlike conduct against Nebraska.

2. On 4th and 11, a Penn State receiver caught the ball a yard and a half

out of bounds (untouched). The NU sidelines erupted in celebration over the obvious incompletion

right in front of their bench. The Call: pass completion, first down PSU.

3. PSU receiver caught another ball a yard and a half out of bounds at the 2 yard line

with 9 seconds left in the game, also untouched by any NU player. The Call: pass completion.

4. With 4 seconds left in the game, a PSU receiver struggled and fumbled trying to pick a pass

off the turf. This Penn State player later admitted publicly he trapped it.

The Call: Penn State touchdown. The call was made by the now famous Don

Guman from behind the play where it was impossible to see the play.

Check out the article. This guy was Paterno's Secret Weapon for years.

We aren't the only ones he homered for St. JoePa:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/19/sports/on-college-football-paterno-got-his-share-of-calls-over-the-years.html

What's better than Sooner Magic? The Paterno Fix.

Just curious, how many of those guys in 1994 were still in the NFL a decade later? I believe we had four, Collins, Brady, Engram, and an O-lineman for Pittsburgh whose name escapes me.

Wiegert, Schlesinger and Minter for sure. Williams, Stai, Colman and Graham played for years, probably not 10 years. Erstad, oops, wrong sport. What's that really got to do with college football? Ask anybody, ANYBODY who knows college football, who was the better college QB, Frazier or Collins, and they will all say Frazier. Everyone knew that Frazier wasn't even the best chance for an NFL QB on the team. Who knows, Berringer might have been our 4th to go 10 years in the NFL.

I'm sorry but when comparing teams, IMO the NFL excuse is an admittance that the argument has been lost when you have to go that far off base. Miami 2001 people LOVE this argument, which is why i'm sick of it. Where do I begin?

How many NFL teams had a comparable offense to what Nebraska was running in the '90s? We had WR's that were great for the type of offense NU ran but certainly would never have fit in anywhere in an NFL offense.

According to this argument, a player like Tommie Frazier has ZERO value. That alone shows what a fallacy it is.

Husker offensive lineman Aaron Taylor's size didn't fit in the NFL and he wasn't drafted until the 7th round and didn't make it in the league. According to the NFL argument, Taylor being good enough to win the Outland Trophy doesn't mean jack.

Miami in 1994 had some guys that turned out to be decent NFLers: you know like Warren Sapp and Ray Lewis.

How many legit Heisman Trophy winners become moot b/c of this argument?

Penn State has what? 8 1st rounders the last 7 years in the NFL? how many championships do they have to show for that? (I apologize if I've hit a soft spot, its not intended)

In 2005 Nebraska had 3 defensive players drafted in the top 40 picks. But that doesn't change the fact that sucked in 2004.

It also doesn't account for vital factors like coaches. An NFL argument means guys like Paterno and Osborne are given equal weight (ie none) as a guy like Larry Coker.

Sorry for the rant but I'm over the NFL BS when it comes to jackass Hurricane fans.

• Fire 1

Just curious, how many of those guys in 1994 were still in the NFL a decade later? I believe we had four, Collins, Brady, Engram, and an O-lineman for Pittsburgh whose name escapes me.

Wiegert, Schlesinger and Minter for sure. Williams, Stai, Colman and Graham played for years, probably not 10 years. Erstad, oops, wrong sport. What's that really got to do with college football? Ask anybody, ANYBODY who knows college football, who was the better college QB, Frazier or Collins, and they will all say Frazier. Everyone knew that Frazier wasn't even the best chance for an NFL QB on the team. Who knows, Berringer might have been our 4th to go 10 years in the NFL.

I'm sorry but when comparing teams, IMO the NFL excuse is an admittance that the argument has been lost when you have to go that far off base. Miami 2001 people LOVE this argument, which is why i'm sick of it. Where do I begin?

How many NFL teams had a comparable offense to what Nebraska was running in the '90s? We had WR's that were great for the type of offense NU ran but certainly would never have fit in anywhere in an NFL offense.

According to this argument, a player like Tommie Frazier has ZERO value. That alone shows what a fallacy it is.

Husker offensive lineman Aaron Taylor's size didn't fit in the NFL and he wasn't drafted until the 7th round and didn't make it in the league. According to the NFL argument, Taylor being good enough to win the Outland Trophy doesn't mean jack.

Miami in 1994 had some guys that turned out to be decent NFLers: you know like Warren Sapp and Ray Lewis.

How many legit Heisman Trophy winners become moot b/c of this argument?

Penn State has what? 8 1st rounders the last 7 years in the NFL? how many championships do they have to show for that? (I apologize if I've hit a soft spot, its not intended)

In 2005 Nebraska had 3 defensive players drafted in the top 40 picks. But that doesn't change the fact that sucked in 2004.

It also doesn't account for vital factors like coaches. An NFL argument means guys like Paterno and Osborne are given equal weight (ie none) as a guy like Larry Coker.

Sorry for the rant but I'm over the NFL BS when it comes to jackass Hurricane fans.

Not to mention the fact that I have dove deeply into this before on this board and showed that NU during that stretch and specifically 1995 had as many professional players as Miami. Name me one hurricane (not named Reggie Wayne) from that team that had a professional career equal to Ahman Green or Grant Wistrom...

Karma sucks doesn't it!!!!

How can that ref live with himself with such a bad call.

easily. when he awakens himself from night terrors, Joe Pa is there to reassure him and run his hand through his hair until he falls back to sleep in the coach's warm embrace.

LOL, well I guess that'd make me feel a little better too...