1994 National Championship

g-man

What blackshirt said. Plus we knocked off a ranked KSU team while all but pointing which direction Phillips was going to run, and still dropped a spot that Monday because voters must not have thought we could keep winning with our top 2 QBs hurt. Then we handily knocked off #2 CU and got their votes. Was Ohio State even ranked when PSU beat them? That was the Cooper years, wasn't it? Not the same as the Woody or Tressell Buckeyes.

If the question is Why did we pass PSU in 1994, why isn't it also Why did we drop below them in the first place? Answer me that one, PSU1995.

Yes, I've heard all the arguments before. Paterno had a nasty tendency to call off the dogs once the game was in hand. That really made us look bad against Indiana who bombed away at the end and also went for 2 points to end the game.

But we could also talk about how Penn State was sporting the nation's #1 offense. Would the Nebraska D hold up? That capability was proved all season long, PSU may have pulled off 14-17points How good must your defense be if you're offense is putting up two and three touchdowns in the first quarter?

We could also talk about the 3 touchdowns that NU allowed against Pacific (you remember them? They dropped their football program in 1995)We had our 2nd string waterboys in., the 10 point win against unranked Wyoming (in Lincoln), and the 10 point win against ALWAYS TOUGH OKLAHOMA.

The only equitable thing to have done was to split the NC if no game was going to be played.

Yes, I've heard all the arguments before. Paterno had a nasty tendency to call off the dogs once the game was in hand. That really made us look bad against Indiana who bombed away at the end and also went for 2 points to end the game.

But we could also talk about how Penn State was sporting the nation's #1 offense. Would the Nebraska D hold up? That capability was proved all season long, PSU may have pulled off 14-17points How good must your defense be if you're offense is putting up two and three touchdowns in the first quarter?

We could also talk about the 3 touchdowns that NU allowed against Pacific (you remember them? They dropped their football program in 1995)We had our 2nd string waterboys in., the 10 point win against unranked Wyoming (in Lincoln), and the 10 point win against ALWAYS TOUGH OKLAHOMA.

The only equitable thing to have done was to split the NC if no game was going to be played.

Yes, OSU was ranked. The game was over in the first quarter after we went up 21-0.

Just curious, how many of those guys in 1994 were still in the NFL a decade later? I believe we had four, Collins, Brady, Engram, and an O-lineman for Pittsburgh whose name escapes me.

As for Karma, I was 9 in 1982 and have no interest in what happened that year. I already noted on here that PSU was gifted on a play that was clearly out of bounds.

Bottom line - there's nothing I can say that will convince you that we would have taken NU to the woodshed. There's nothing you can say that NU would have taken us to the woodshed. For those of us that were around on both sides, we're all convinced in the superiority of our alma maters at that time. Hence the reason why NU-PSU is going to be significant to the Blue & White at the start of the 2011.

Bottom Line - the rest of the nation tried to settle it on the field and created the Bowl Coalition while the Big 10 held on to the Rose Bowl. .

I won't dispute this point. The Big 10 was stupidly hanging on to the "tradition" of the "Grandaddy of them all". Whatever. It's not the grandaddy if it doesn't pit the right teams together.

So I concede this, because you're right.

(but we would have won :))

I think whether you wear blue or red in this debate, everyone agrees that it would have been better to settle it on the field. Osborne vs. Paterno, for all the marbles. It would have been a hell of a game.

(but we would have won :))

I see a lot of Penn St. sites(along with some national sites)that push the same old argument that we got the NC vote because Tom had tried for so long and come up short and so we got sympathy votes. To my recollection PSU defeated Oregon in the Rose Bowl which I would definitely call a nuetral field. Nebraska had to play Miami IN Miami at the Orange bowl. How much more of a home game could you ask for?

And just to pick on Miami's supposed domination in the 80's, just how many of their NC's were won on nuetral fields outside the state of Fla.

State College, PA to the Rose Bowl = 2,575 mi

Eugene Oregon to the Rose Bowl = 857 mi

NU to the Orange Bowl = 1,682 mi

Don't throw the bowl game location around Big10 teams, you'll get no sympathy. We're always playing a Florida team in Florida or USC in the Rose Bowl.

Nebraska has spent its entire existence playing Florida teams in the Orange Bowl, or Pac-10 teams in the Holiday Bowl. The only times we've had an "advantage" is when we've played Big-10 teams in the Alamo Bowl, and even that's negligible.

Bottom line - if you're not within a few hour's drive from the game, you're flying anyway, whether that's Oregon to the Rose Bowl or PSU to the Rose Bowl.

I see a lot of Penn St. sites(along with some national sites)that push the same old argument that we got the NC vote because Tom had tried for so long and come up short and so we got sympathy votes. To my recollection PSU defeated Oregon in the Rose Bowl which I would definitely call a nuetral field. Nebraska had to play Miami IN Miami at the Orange bowl. How much more of a home game could you ask for?

And just to pick on Miami's supposed domination in the 80's, just how many of their NC's were won on nuetral fields outside the state of Fla.

State College, PA to the Rose Bowl = 2,575 mi

Eugene Oregon to the Rose Bowl = 857 mi

NU to the Orange Bowl = 1,682 mi

Don't throw the bowl game location around Big10 teams, you'll get no sympathy. We're always playing a Florida team in Florida or USC in the Rose Bowl.

You forgot one important stat....

Miami, FL to Orange Bowl 0 mi

Just curious, how many of those guys in 1994 were still in the NFL a decade later? I believe we had four, Collins, Brady, Engram, and an O-lineman for Pittsburgh whose name escapes me.

Wiegert, Schlesinger and Minter for sure. Williams, Stai, Colman and Graham played for years, probably not 10 years. Erstad, oops, wrong sport. What's that really got to do with college football? Ask anybody, ANYBODY who knows college football, who was the better college QB, Frazier or Collins, and they will all say Frazier. Everyone knew that Frazier wasn't even the best chance for an NFL QB on the team. Who knows, Berringer might have been our 4th to go 10 years in the NFL.

For the record, I knew we had no shot of picking up votes when the PSU-Oregon pairing looked to be a done deal. Nobody in State College was happy about playing the freaking Ducks, though I'm sure the Ducks were thrilled to get Penn State.

When I watching the NU-Miami game I was actually pretty torn. On one hand, I knew that a NU win would kill us. On the other hand, I *loathed* Miami at the time since they still had the Thug U crap going and I badly wanted to see them smacked down.

Figures the smackdown came indirectly at our expense.

I always thought going into the 94' Bowl game against Miami was not one of TO's finer moments. First, he names Frazier the starter even though Berringer was the one that brought us there. Berringer was loved by his teammates. Frazier was respected by his teammates, but you would have found few that really liked him. Frazier comes into the game pretty flat, and then after throwing a few darts into the dirt throws an INT. TO goes to Berringer to save the day. He gets us down to the goal line before throwing an errant pass that gets picked off. Then, we go back to musical QB's once more where Frazier was then put back into the game. For three quarters of that game, I was convinced that TO had outsmarted himself with the way he was handling his QB's.