Can Nebraska help Big Ten's rep this year?

GSG

Can Nebraska help Big Ten's rep this year?

By Adam Rittenberg

Nebraska is known for its passionate fans, and I've heard from plenty of them since the Big Ten admitted the Huskers on June 11.

Although the Huskers still have to play one final season in the Big 12, many of their supporters are in full Big Ten mode, which is cool to see.

I've been asked to include Nebraska in any Big Ten recruiting updates, as recruits who commit for 2011 will play their entire careers in the Big Ten. As the Big Ten preseason player rankings wind down, I've been asked where Huskers stars like Jared Crick, Prince Amukamara and Roy Helu Jr. would stack up. Some folks wondered why I left Nebraska out of my Revolving Door series.

While I'd encourage Husker fans not to abandon colleague David Ubben and the Big 12 blog just yet, it can't hurt to weigh in on some of these questions.

Like this one from Jlewis from Lincoln, Neb:

Hey Adam, Don't you need to include Nebraska's successess and/or failures this year in your 5 games that will help determine the respect for our league in the future? Whatever happens THIS YEAR to Nebraska is carried over to the Big Ten...not the Big 12.

I see your point, but I'm not totally sure how transitioning teams like Nebraska, Colorado, Utah and Boise State will be perceived this season. Will their successes or failures this season impact their current leagues or future leagues? We might not know the answer for quite some time.

If Nebraska wins a national title, will the Big 12 or Big Ten benefit more? Obviously, the Big Ten won't benefit if Nebraska beats, say, Ohio State, in the BCS championship game in Glendale, Ariz. But if Nebraska beats Alabama, the Big Ten certainly would benefit from having the reigning national champ entering its league.

Then again, leagues seem to be solely judged by national titles, and the Big 12 would still get credit if the Huskers win the crown.

Confused?

Beyond beating the dreaded SEC in a bowl game, I'm not sure if Nebraska's performance will have a major impact on the Big Ten's reputation one way or another. I guess there could be a little less enthusiasm for the Big Red if they take a step back and miss a bowl game this fall. Another 10-4 season with a bowl win certainly wouldn't hurt the Big Ten's rep, unless that bowl win came against Iowa or Wisconsin or another Big Ten member. Would it help?

I'm a little torn on this one, but I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

ESPN Big Ten Blog

I gotta disagree with him there, if Nebraska and Ohio State were to play for the National Title this season it really doesn't matter which team wins, it will be a MAJOR boon for the Big 10. To have two teams in the conference going into 2011 that were considered the top 2 teams the year before is never a bad thing...

now if Nebraska were to beat Ohio State for that title I think it would be an even bigger deal in terms of Big 10 clout. It means the Big 10 would be bringing in a team that is perceived to be an elite Nebraska and not just an improving Nebraska that is "almost back".

It would definately cement the Big 10 ahead of the Big 12 in terms of perception going forward and depending on how well Iowa/Wisconsin/Penn State do in their OOC and against Ohio State it could even put the Big 10 in position to surpass the SEC.

I gotta disagree with him there, if Nebraska and Ohio State were to play for the National Title this season it really doesn't matter which team wins, it will be a MAJOR boon for the Big 10. To have two teams in the conference going into 2011 that were considered the top 2 teams the year before is never a bad thing...

now if Nebraska were to beat Ohio State for that title I think it would be an even bigger deal in terms of Big 10 clout. It means the Big 10 would be bringing in a team that is perceived to be an elite Nebraska and not just an improving Nebraska that is "almost back".

It would definately cement the Big 10 ahead of the Big 12 in terms of perception going forward and depending on how well Iowa/Wisconsin/Penn State do in their OOC and against Ohio State it could even put the Big 10 in position to surpass the SEC.

I agree. I don't know how Nebraska beating Ohio State would be a bad thing. The Big Ten would get a ton of good publicity from an Ohio State-Nebraska NCG and if Nebraska won, it would just show they are getting a Nebraska that is truly back.

I agree. I don't know how Nebraska beating Ohio State would be a bad thing. The Big Ten would get a ton of good publicity from an Ohio State-Nebraska NCG and if Nebraska won, it would just show they are getting a Nebraska that is truly back.

I think it would be a double-edged sword. It would be great for the Big Ten moving forward, but it would reinforce the stereotype that the Big Ten and flagship Buckeyes are overmatched on the biggest stage.

I think it would be a double-edged sword. It would be great for the Big Ten moving forward, but it would reinforce the stereotype that the Big Ten and flagship Buckeyes are overmatched on the biggest stage.

............thus making NEBRASKA FREAKING U the flagship program!!!!!!!

• Fire 1

But think past the 2010 season - UNL will be a "powerhouse" or "elite" team in the national perception. Not only does having them in the Big Ten help the conference rep directly, but any team beating them will be seen as having won a big game. And that in turn will help the rep of the Big Ten. It might hurt the pride of tOSU or PSU but helps the conference.

Nebraska playing a Big Ten team in a bowl this year will be a really great game from a fan/atmosphere point of view. It would be like a welcoming gift to both schools involved... Or at least I would view it that way.

Even if Nebraska beats Ohio St. for the national Championship?

Nebraska playing a Big Ten team in a bowl this year will be a really great game from a fan/atmosphere point of view. It would be like a welcoming gift to both schools involved... Or at least I would view it that way.

Even if Nebraska beats Ohio St. for the national Championship?

You missed the *...

*Except the National Championship. :P

Nebraska is more of an independent than part of any conference this year. In fact, Nebraska will likely prove that the Big Ten isn't as strong as people think once you start playing Big Ten games.

Definitely.

38 - 19

Iowa - Iowa State

And Iowa is a team that has been nationally relevant for a short time in the 1950s and just in the past decade. Only an average Big Ten team historically. Only 11 Big Ten championships (only 4 of them outright, too).