The Penalty Problem

We've discussed plenty how we feel about how the defense may/may not be better next year, and how the offense may fair. One topic that has eluded us a bit is the issue of penalties. In 2008 they were a HUGE problem, and it was improved in 2009, but not as much as we would have liked. Remember among other things, you could argue that penalties cost us the Virginia Tech Game. Who knows, maybe one less penalty ant Texas doesn't have 1 second left.

So how does everyone feel about the penalty problem next year? Better, same, worse, and how much?

Penalties on the coach (read: Va Tech 2008)are absolutely unexcusable. But it seemed like Bo had a little better control last season.

Maybe the increase in penalties is due to players (and coaches) being more fired up.

Another thing to add;

I'm not sure of the numbers in 2008, but last year we were 93rd in penalties and 102nd in penalty yardage.

2008 = 102nd in penalties and 98th in penalty yardage.

Thanks Nexus, I thought you might be the one to swoop in and get my back :thumbs

Where do you find past years' stats? I've always used this one, but it only dates back to the previous season...

Another thing to add;

I'm not sure of the numbers in 2008, but last year we were 93rd in penalties and 102nd in penalty yardage.

2008 = 102nd in penalties and 98th in penalty yardage.

Thanks Nexus, I thought you might be the one to swoop in and get my back :thumbs

Where do you find past years' stats? I've always used this one, but it only dates back to the previous season...

:thumbs

Just change the number where the red arrow is pointing. It only goes back to 2000.

6pvygw.jpg

• Fire 1

Penalties continue to be a serious problem for this team. In my honest opinion, they ruined the VaTech game. That one touchdown would have more than likely put that game out of reach. But, it just comes down to discipline. And to me, it seems like the offense has much worse discipline troubles than the defense.

Great topic.

I think we'll be slightly better in penalties this season, but I still think we'll have some problems. I think that's part of what happens when you have a fired up coaching staff which translates to the players. I love how we're playing the last 2 seasons, so I'm okay with a few more penalties here and there if it means playing hard and with ferocity.

Great topic.

I think we'll be slightly better in penalties this season, but I still think we'll have some problems. I think that's part of what happens when you have a fired up coaching staff which translates to the players. I love how we're playing the last 2 seasons, so I'm okay with a few more penalties here and there if it means playing hard and with ferocity.

I too love the ferocity the coaching regime has brought. But there's a fine line between intensity and lack of discipline. We're going to have penalties, no way around it. But when the majority of them a holdings and false starts, (a good chunk of which happening in crunch time) that's not excusable by a team that has been called the most disciplined defense by nearly every opposing coaching staff. JMO

Great topic.

I too love the ferocity the coaching regime has brought. But there's a fine line between intensity and lack of discipline. We're going to have penalties, no way around it. But when the majority of them a holdings and false starts, (a good chunk of which happening in crunch time) that's not excusable by a team that has been called the most disciplined defense by nearly every opposing coaching staff. JMO

This is the brunt of the problem, if you think about it. The defensive talent and tenacity outweighs what the offense brings to the table, yet the defense made far fewer crucial penalties throughout the year. I don't know if this should be directly attributed to Watson or to Bo. Even though Bo is the HC, there is an obvious difference between the way the offense and defense play. It's slightly unnerving in my eyes.

We've discussed plenty how we feel about how the defense may/may not be better next year, and how the offense may fair. One topic that has eluded us a bit is the issue of penalties. In 2008 they were a HUGE problem, and it was improved in 2009, but not as much as we would have liked. Remember among other things, you could argue that penalties cost us the Virginia Tech Game. Who knows, maybe one less penalty ant Texas doesn't have 1 second left.

So how does everyone feel about the penalty problem next year? Better, same, worse, and how much?

On the contrary. One MORE penalty and the game may have already been over. :)

But I agree that the offensive side seems sloppy and undisciplined...

Great topic.

This is the brunt of the problem, if you think about it. The defensive talent and tenacity outweighs what the offense brings to the table, yet the defense made far fewer crucial penalties throughout the year. I don't know if this should be directly attributed to Watson or to Bo. Even though Bo is the HC, there is an obvious difference between the way the offense and defense play. It's slightly unnerving in my eyes.

If it is true that Bo is becoming more of a "walk around" HC rather than a D coordinator with a different title, then these lines should start to blur. Hopefully. If Bo starts having a few more words each practice with the offense personally I think we see the penalties go down.

Great topic.

If it is true that Bo is becoming more of a "walk around" HC rather than a D coordinator with a different title, then these lines should start to blur. Hopefully. If Bo starts having a few more words each practice with the offense personally I think we see the penalties go down.

I'm hoping that is the case. Considering the defense is right where he wants it, my feelings are that he has a lot of confidence in Carl keeping it together. Now, if he can just implement what he has taught to the defense into the offense, then I think the team itself will become a more rounded unit, just as you said.