throwin the bones

with the new taunting rule in place for this season will the bones be outlawed???

Normally the players don't throw the bones to the opposing team.. They throw it to teammates / the crowd. Therefore, as long as Jared Crick isn't standing over Garret Gilbert throwing the bones while pinning him down for 2 minutes.. no it won't be outlawed.

O'Hanlon threw them a few times last year without being penalized. Frankly I think the celebration penalties and taunting penalties are out of line already. The NCAA should realize that they are in business to please fans. Fans pay the money that keeps this entire machine greased and running. The emotion of football is one of its most attractive selling points. I understand not breakdancing over an injured player, but irrelevant things like the gator chomp or the bones or flexing in the end zone shouldn't be penalized. It's a waste of fans' time for one, and it dampens some of the emotion so critical to the sport.

O'Hanlon threw them a few times last year without being penalized. Frankly I think the celebration penalties and taunting penalties are out of line already. The NCAA should realize that they are in business to please fans. Fans pay the money that keeps this entire machine greased and running. The emotion of football is one of its most attractive selling points. I understand not breakdancing over an injured player, but irrelevant things like the gator chomp or the bones or flexing in the end zone shouldn't be penalized. It's a waste of fans' time for one, and it dampens some of the emotion so critical to the sport.

This.

Throwing the bones may not be as well known as the Gator Chomp, but it's meaning is no less.

When the rule was revised in 2007(?) the "throwing the bones" was specifically addressed, and remains legal. This time around I don't believe any additional specific moves were outlawed, just the situations in which they occur. Since it's a defense thing and not something that a WR can flash as he's running to the endzone it shouldn't be a problem.

:throwdabones1: